I'm not up on the tech specifics relating to BB devices, but am wondering what the minimum acceptable RAM is on our devices (and I know this will depend to some extent on the device, but am interested in a general response). I have a memory monitor, and it appears to fluctuate quite a bit.

thanks
    07-01-10 06:17 PM
    There is no minimum accepted level no matter what anyone tells you. When the phone
    reaches a critical point the Java Machine Garbage Collector will kick in and recover
    memory for you.

I have run all my phones down to less than 1mb of file free and there has never been
    any ill effect from doing so. No deleted messages, calendar entries, call logs, etc.

On the issue of memory monitoring applications ALL of them are complete BS.
    07-01-10 06:33 PM
    In the off chance that you do run low, you'll get a low memory warning telling you to delete programs. Just reboot and it'll go away. I agree with amazinglygraceless, my phone is almost always below 10 (often below 5) and I get the low memory warning maybe twice per year (and even then, my phone acts 100% fine). Generally I only get it if I have a bunch of MMS and emails hanging around tying up all the space, since the memory cleaner can't/won't remove those.
    07-01-10 07:10 PM
    So what's all of thing I hear about the BB automatically deleting messages,contact when it goes below a certain level?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 08:18 PM
    So what's all of thing I hear about the BB automatically deleting messages,contact when it goes below a certain level?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That was conventional wisdom when v4.2xx software was dominate. The upgrades to v4.5 and later have not been demonstrated to delete data when memory gets low.

Like AG, I have had mine below 1 Mb and still have my call logs.
    07-01-10 08:58 PM
    When it reaches 0 you have a problem, end of story.
    07-01-10 09:35 PM
    we're all talking RAM here and not device memory, right?
    07-01-10 11:34 PM
    On the issue of memory monitoring applications ALL of them are complete BS.
    I am on a Curve 8520 running OS 5.0.0.681. Have been running BerryJoose since the first few days I got my Curve, and since I did not see the difference between running it and not, I assumed it did jack when I read your post.

I stupidly jumped the gun and ordered a refund from JaredCo, and deleted the app.

My Curve used to boot up with 115mb of memory and throughout the day it drops gradually until it reaches 109mb and stabilises there. After deleting BerryJoose, it booted up at 115mb and within half a day it went down to 99mb, stabilising at 100mb.

Complete BS? I don't think so, at least with regards to device memory. Not so sure about RAM.
    07-02-10 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD