I understand that you and I have very different threat models when it cones to corporate surveillance.

But please note that there is nothing in my configuration that "encumbers" me. I can install and use any app I need at any time, from official app stores. I just avoid providing my real identity to anyone who isn't entitled to it, either by virtue of being a real life contact I want in my life, or by law.

For example, when I travel I have to use my real identity, but there is nothing that compels me to provide the same email address and phone number that I use for other services. I have a service that allows me to create email addresses on the fly that all forward to my inbox, so I have a different email address for every travel company ([email protected], [email protected], etc.)

I get all the emails, and they do all the data analysis they like, but they can't correlate my information.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Oh, I know we have different concerns, and I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just responding to "speechless".

But for me, I can't uninstall and re-install apps all day, and I certainly need to take advantage of Google's knowledge of me to provide a tailored, cross-platform, unified, intelligent breadth of convenient services.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-31-20 03:46 PM
    Oh, I know we have different concerns, and I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just responding to "speechless".

But for me, I can't uninstall and re-install apps all day, and I certainly need to take advantage of Google's knowledge of me to provide a tailored, unified, intelligent breadth of convenient services.
    You make it sound like using a different email and phone number for my frequent flyer account will mess up my calendar or inbox or Google Drive synchronization. When a booking confirmation is automatically forwarded to my GSuite account, it appears on my calendar just like it would have had I provided my "real" email address.

Just so we're on the same page, I have been an admin of our GSuite service for three years, and have never had a problem with my setups confusing Google's ability to provide me with tailored, coordinated services.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 05-31-20 at 04:35 PM.
    05-31-20 03:56 PM
    I understand the end goal, which I fully agree with, but not how either of you are actually executing/implementing what you're doing. I'm a retired IT guy, but it all sounds like the programming classes I barely passed.

FWIW, I'm just talking Android phones and multiple Windows 10 computers running Office 2016. I currently don't use the cloud, but will eventually to sync Contacts and Calendar between multiple devices instead of the mismatched mess I have now.
    05-31-20 05:34 PM
    I understand the end goal, which I fully agree with, but not how either of you are actually executing/implementing what you're doing. I'm a retired IT guy, but it all sounds like the programming classes I barely passed.

FWIW, I'm just talking Android phones and multiple Windows 10 computers running Office 2016. I currently don't use the cloud, but will eventually to sync Contacts and Calendar between multiple devices instead of the mismatched mess I have now.
    Just FYI, I'm using exactly the documented practices that Microsoft, Google, and Apple recommend for integrating Office 365, GSuite and iOS. The only thing I'm doing that's different has to do with managing my personal identity and compartmentalizing my personal information with other third party vendors.

It's detailed, but not even a little bit complicated.

05-31-20 06:58 PM
    I subscribe to the 80/20 rule.

I'm not prepared to overly encumber my life to maintain such a strict level of privacy that has no real benefit in my eyes.

I have Island running on Android to have two containers on my phone - one personal with Netguard running to block all trackers and ads; and one private where I use a VPN, a private browser like Tor and/or Brave, and a dummy Google account with the tightest privacy settings possible.

I generally use Telegram for messaging and instigate private chats for more sensitive conversations.

That's where I stop.
    Hey Conite, do you consider Brave browser more privacy/secure oriented than Firefox browser Klar and of the main brother Firefox?
    06-01-20 03:29 AM
    Hey Conite, do you consider Brave browser more privacy/secure oriented than Firefox browser Klar and of the main brother Firefox?
    https://www.slant.co/versus/16094/23..._firefox-focus

They seem to be constantly leapfrogging each other, so it's hard to say.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-01-20 05:34 AM
    Daniel Micay, the software engineer for CopperheadOS and now GrapheneOS doesn’t like either. He recommends Bromite or Vanadium browser.

Bromite works fine but never tried Vanadium.
    06-08-20 07:40 AM
    Not that this would work with the Key series, /e/ is something that could be considered for other phones: https://e.foundation/
    06-09-20 03:21 AM
    Let's continue without the bickering, please.

For the record, all members are free to express their opinions, as long as they do so within the R&G.
    06-09-20 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the tag and question. I'm still learning, but here's a brief description of what I've done.

Basic principles, which apply to any platform:
    1. I want my carrier to know as little about the user of each phone as possible.
    2. I want to compartmentalize identities as much as possible
    3. I want to avoid using free services where my data is the product that they sell.
    4. I want to share as little data as possible with apps to accomplish my purposes.

CARRIER SET UP
    I don't want my carrier to know the individual identities of each phone user. For this reason I prefer to open a business account if possible, rather than a personal account. But, in this case, I opened a personal account, in my real name, but assigned the phones to aliases in the carrier's database, so my five SE phones are assigned to the following individuals with my carrier:

• person1
    • persona
    • personalpha
    • firstperson
    • admin2

So, while my carrier knows that I'm the owner of the account, it does not know which phone I use personally, or even if I use any of them The same is true for all other users.

APPLE IDs
    Just as I don't want my carrier to know who the user of each phone is, I don't want Apple to know either. I set up a "family sharing" account so that I could use one Apple ID as the "family organizer" for all devices, but that Apple ID is NOT used on any of the phones. My Family Organizer Apple ID, which is tied to an alias identity and private payment information through a Privacy.com virtual credit card is only used on a wifi-only iPad that I keep at home for the purpose. It always uses a VPN, and I keep location services and all other sharing permanently disabled.

The other phones each have a new, clean Apple ID, that is not tied to anyone's actual identity:

• Apple ID 0 (Family Organizer on Ipad) : Assigned Name: Admin111
    • Apple ID 1 Apple ID 2 (my phone) : Assigned Name: Bot 0
    • Apple ID 2 (family member 1 phone) : Assigned Name: Bot 1
    • Apple ID 3 (family member 2 phone) : Assigned Name: Bot 2
    • Apple ID 4 (guest and family iPad) : Assigned Name: Bot 3
    • Apple ID 5 (shared work phone) : Assigned Name: Bot 4

This allows me to purchas, and all users to use, apps and subscriptions with an alias identity that can be used on all devices. But it allows each user to have a separate iCloud account for syncing data, backups, etc.

So, each phone has 2 Apple IDs configured in different parts of settings:
    1) iCloud ID, unique to each phone
    2) Family Sharing (Admin111) ID configured in Home Sharing, and in the iTunes and App Store

This means that neither my carrier, Apple, or any app developer know who is using which phone or app.

CORE PERSONAL INFORMATION MANAGER FUNCTIONS:

I am experimenting with this now. Microsoft Exchange is great for privacy, but Google (not surprisingly) is problematic):

MS Exchange:
    Microsoft data can be synced at the app level, or at the OS level. Both seem to work well, so I'd say it's personal preference.
    I am leaning towards syncing email, calendar, tasks, and notes at the app level, but contacts at the OS level, due to limitation in iOS that make two-way contact syncing impossible in the Outlook app.
    Email (Outlook app)
    Calendar (Outlook app)
    Tasks (Microsoft To Do and Microsoft Planner apps)
    Notes (Microsoft OneNote)
    Contacts (Exchange ActiveSync in iOS 13 and later.)

Alternately, you could use iOS built-in apps and sync everything with Exchange ActiveSync. Microsoft has done an excellent job documenting all of this, though you may need account administrative support for some of the permissions. (I am the admin for my own Office 365 account, and I always approve all of my own exception requests!)

Google:
    Naturally, Google wants you to enable a bunch of data-sharing to use your personal Google account on iOS. When you connect a google account, for example, it automatically logs you in to your Google account on Safari! As is typical with Google, it is possible to configure their services so that they are less obtrusive, but it's annoying and offensive that they make you dig for settings to opt out rather than opt in. While it is absolutely possible to manage this, it turned me off to the point where I won't do it for my personal Google account.

I did set up a GSuite account on my iPhone and went through all of the opt outs on the policy side in my Admin account. Google and Apple have great documentation on all of this.

PHONE

I don't use my carrier assigned phone number for anything, ever, except for 911 emergency calls. I don't even know it! I use a number of VOIP services instead.
    MySudo: 9 custom, personal VOIP numbers which I use instead of my carrier assigned number
    Microsoft Teams: Business VOIP calls and collaboration

MESSAGING
    Signal
    MySudo

WEB BROWSING, in order of preference
    Firefox Focus for private browsing (95% of what I do)
    MySudo Browser (using MySudo aliases when I need to log in to sites)
    Firefox Browser
    Safari

OTHER CRITICAL APPS
    VPN (ProtonVPN for me)
    ProtonMail: Used as my recovery email for all accounts
    Microsoft Authenticator (backs up easily to iCloud, which is critical)
    Password Manager of Choice

RIDE SHARE APPS
    None, nada. I used to use Uber and Lyft, but am now convinced there is no way to do so privately due to aggressive use of cameras and machine vision to identify riders. I use taxis and pay with cash, use public transportation, bike or ride.
    Wow this is pretty intense, are you also using ‘Sign In with Apple’ where you can?
    It allows scrambling your email address to so that wherever you login they don’t get your direct email address, I have used it with a few forums and subscriptions and it works a treat.

I have noticed that more and more developers are allowing its usage on their apps and websites, nice and discrete.

Let's continue without the bickering, please.

For the record, all members are free to express their opinions, as long as they do so within the R&G.
    Thank you.
    06-09-20 11:32 PM
    Wow this is pretty intense, are you also using ‘Sign In with Apple’ where you can?
    It allows scrambling your email address to so that wherever you login they don’t get your direct email address, I have used it with a few forums and subscriptions and it works a treat.

I have noticed that more and more developers are allowing its usage on their apps and websites, nice and discrete.

Thank you.
    I like that feature, as well as similar features from 33mail, AnonAddy, MySudo, etc.

In order to avoid services that don't allow the use of free email services for registration, I created a "catch all" email subdomain set up in Exchange Online that allows me to create any email address on the fly that forwards to my inbox.

For example, if I create an Amazon account for work, I'd just invent an email address like [email protected]. And it would forward to my inbox.

Our email addresses and phone numbers have become critical identifying pieces of information. I like to keep mine as private as possible and I don't reuse the same email with multiple services.

Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-10-20 07:36 AM
    I like that feature, as well as similar features from 33mail, AnonAddy, MySudo, etc.

In order to avoid services that don't allow the use of free email services for registration, I created a "catch all" email subdomain set up in Exchange Online that allows me to create any email address on the fly that forwards to my inbox.

For example, if I create an Amazon account for work, I'd just invent an email address like [email protected]. And it would forward to my inbox.

Our email addresses and phone numbers have become critical identifying pieces of information. I like to keep mine as private as possible and I don't reuse the same email with multiple services.

Wow, that is pretty incredible! As long as your setup is working for you. I would go nuts having to keep all this up.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-10-20 07:42 AM
    Wow, that is pretty incredible! As long as your setup is working for you. I would go nuts having to keep all this up.
    It's not hard for me. My password manager does all the work! It remembers my email addresses and passwords for everything I use. Just now I created a new account with Jabra to take advantage of a promotion and simply entered [email protected]. I got the coupon instantly and made the purchase using my business alias name and virtual credit card. It's not any harder than using my actual info, honestly. My day to day life looks just like anyone else's!

06-10-20 08:14 AM
88 ... 234