We used gsm blackberries as a tertiary form of comm in Iraq in 2005-2007 around Fallujah using local Iraqna network sims. Texts were sent using brevity codes. Calls were limited to a few seconds and specific codewords.
    Never had an issue with them, durable, good battery and the network was surprisingly functional.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-21-11 08:46 PM
    I'm a contractor to the Government and at the group I work at we use personal, BIS blackberry devices to communicate with each other via BBM all over the world. It works great, even in Afghanistan.
    07-22-11 08:01 AM
    If it's good enough for Obama it's good enough for the military.
    07-23-11 04:18 PM
    Understanding of course that truly secure communication, top secret, would never be sent via BB.
    Just had to say that.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-23-11 07:50 PM
    Understanding of course that truly secure communication, top secret, would never be sent via BB.
    Just had to say that.
    Damn government killing trees instead of using things that use rare earth metals!
    07-23-11 07:52 PM
    If it's good enough for Obama it's good enough for the military.
    You do realize that the president has a Blackberry that had to be secured, right. Even a Blackberry alone was not secure enough for the president.
    07-23-11 08:20 PM
    Damn government killing trees instead of using things that use rare earth metals!
    Are you being a brat again??? I'll have to slap your bum for that!!!
    07-23-11 10:05 PM
    Just ordered my android device today..both android and iphone devices were FIPS 140-2 certified on thursday..looking forward to finally having a work phone that works!!
    08-01-11 01:38 PM
    Just ordered my android device today..both android and iphone devices were FIPS 140-2 certified on thursday..looking forward to finally having a work phone that works!!
    Can I get some of what your smoking
    08-01-11 02:26 PM
    Ok I googled for a solid 30 min and can't find ANY announcement about this!
    Please point me in the right direction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 02:38 PM
    Ok I googled for a solid 30 min and can't find ANY announcement about this!
    Please point me in the right direction

Check out his previous posts in this thread, he's clear that we have to take his word for it.
    08-01-11 03:40 PM
    There would have been a massive announcement if both Android and Apple got FIPS 140-2 certification. Apple has been trying since 2008, I heard, to get it.

08-01-11 08:15 PM
    You do realize that the president has a Blackberry that had to be secured, right. Even a Blackberry alone was not secure enough for the president.
    This is incorrect. A Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) Blackberry, running FIPS approved code and talking to a BES, is cleared to process Sensitive but Unclassified information for anyone in the government who is assigned one. Their is absolutely no difference to the device the one that the president carries and any lower level government official carries, or someone not in the government. A FIPS approved device is FIPS approved. Their are even FIPS approved USB Flash Drives that are FIPS 140-2 compliant. You only get into special gear when you get into higher levels of classification.

Also I agree on the other comments, if Android and/or iOS was FIPS approved, you'd have press releases from both touting this. Possible that an app on them that the military uses got approved, but I'm not seeing it on the NIST site.
    08-01-11 08:40 PM
    This is incorrect. A Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) Blackberry, running FIPS approved code and talking to a BES, is cleared to process Sensitive but Unclassified information for anyone in the government who is assigned one. Their is absolutely no difference to the device the one that the president carries and any lower level government official carries, or someone not in the government. A FIPS approved device is FIPS approved. Their are even FIPS approved USB Flash Drives that are FIPS 140-2 compliant. You only get into special gear when you get into higher levels of classification.

Also I agree on the other comments, if Android and/or iOS was FIPS approved, you'd have press releases from both touting this. Possible that an app on them that the military uses got approved, but I'm not seeing it on the NIST site.
    agreed if the president needed a more secure BB than what BB already has and its not BB technology whats the point of having a BB anyway?
    08-01-11 09:47 PM
    agreed if the president needed a more secure BB than what BB already has and its not BB technology whats the point of having a BB anyway?
    BBM duh!
    08-01-11 09:51 PM
    BBM duh!
    Yep, your President must have at least a few friends left lol

08-02-11 02:21 AM
    Regardless, a phone is a phone. It just needs to be made rugged, 5x more than what an otterbox case (toughest one made) can protect it from, for example, a grenade blowing up beside it, or a bomb hitting it, or getting shot at.

These phones are reasonably tough, but ugly. I would like to have a Blackberry Bold that meets these specs.
    08-02-11 02:49 AM

These phones are reasonably tough, but ugly. I would like to have a Blackberry Bold that meets these specs.
    The battery life on those things suck! I haven't heard much good about them.
    08-02-11 06:00 AM
    BBM duh!
    Ya but..... never mind.
    08-02-11 08:51 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD