Ipads are certified for Citrix, Playbook is not.
    It's in the process. Will be by end of the year.
    07-20-11 01:12 PM
    It's in the process. Will be by end of the year.
    Dumb guy question here, Whats Citrix. What makes it a part of this discussion?Thanks.
    07-20-11 01:15 PM
    Dumb guy question here, Whats Citrix. What makes it a part of this discussion?Thanks.
    Citrix Systems - Virtualization, Networking and Cloud. Virtual Computing, Simplified.

Citrix Receiver and the RIM PlayBook | Citrix Blogs
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-20-11 01:25 PM
    Citrix is Interesting, Does anyone believe that it has huge military applications. Would the military not sort of use its own cloud, with military only access. Cross platform starts to fragment, Would the military not just go with one platform provider?
    07-20-11 01:45 PM
    http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...0InProcess.pdf

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

What happened to strbanchor and his facts! LOL!
    07-20-11 01:53 PM
    Citrix sets up an unbreakable VPN. Highest level security imaginable. Using RSA token codes 256 bit encryption, etc...
    07-20-11 02:22 PM
    What happened to strbanchor and his facts! LOL!
    Bu wee- - Not to quote Donald Rumsfeld but - there is a difference between knowing what is known, and knowing what is unknown.
    centsofreason likes this.
    07-20-11 02:26 PM
    I think like many others have said, that QNX will be looked at first here. It's even being used on Mars and other space programs, so that's definately tells something about the reliability of the platform.
    Last edited by Ibn la Ahad; 07-20-11 at 03:36 PM.
    01itr likes this.
    07-20-11 02:47 PM
    Citrix sets up an unbreakable VPN. Highest level security imaginable. Using RSA token codes 256 bit encryption, etc...
    But it does not secure anything on the tablet itself, and relies on communication with a central server for content and a virtual desktop. So having Citrix does not secure any information stored locally on the device, like PIM or the content of e-mails.
    07-20-11 03:20 PM
    Bu wee- - Not to quote Donald Rumsfeld but - there is a difference between knowing what is known, and knowing what is unknown.
    C'mom guy, really? So the govt makes up a fake doc to hide the iphone's certification?

I'm a vet that had BTTS clearance, that and $2.25 will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks...

07-20-11 07:38 PM
    Not saying that at all. What I thought was clear was that a soldier in the field may have information which has not been processed, packaged and cleared for current public release on a day to day basis.

07-20-11 07:47 PM
    I know Citrix is HIPAA compliant. I can imagine it would be a valuable app for the military as well.
    07-20-11 07:54 PM
    Not saying that at all. What I thought was clear was that a soldier in the field may have information which has not been processed, packaged and cleared for current public release on a day to day basis.

I guess it would be possible if it wasn't still in the 1st stage of certification.

In my experience, as a random grunt we were usually the last to know anything.

07-20-11 07:55 PM
    Bloomberg News;

The U.S. Army is leaning toward the PlayBook because RIM “addressed security concerns from the get-go,” said Lieutenant Colonel Matthew Dosmann, who oversees mobile device pilot- testing for the Army’s cybersecurity division. Security remains an issue for Apple and may hold back wider use of iPads, he said.
    07-20-11 09:48 PM
    Regardless, a phone is a phone. It just needs to be made rugged, 5x more than what an otterbox case (toughest one made) can protect it from, for example, a grenade blowing up beside it, or a bomb hitting it, or getting shot at.

07-20-11 11:27 PM
    So why not *consider* Playbook? Not as many apps and games?
    They Playbook is in. It is in use as part of a sandboxed pilot.
    We are considering the iPad for people who already own then who wish to use them for telework, as part of a larger move towards allowing staff to use their home computers. The sticking point is that it has NOT been certified.
    We can't get approval towards letting people use their home computers at all.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-21-11 at 03:12 AM.
    07-21-11 03:08 AM
    They Playbook is in. It is in use as part of a sandboxed pilot.
    We are considering the iPad for people who already own then who wish to use them for telework, as part of a larger move towards allowing staff to use their home computers. The sticking point is that it has NOT been certified.
    We can't get approval towards letting people use their home computers at all.
    Playbook OS duly gets FIPS certification. http://crackberry.com/blackberry-tab...-certification
    01itr likes this.
    07-21-11 12:10 PM
    Playbook OS duly gets FIPS certification. http://crackberry.com/blackberry-tab...-certification
    I wonder if BGR is gonna post that.

07-21-11 12:34 PM
    PRESS RELEASE: BlackBerry PlayBook Becomes First Tablet Certified for U.S. Government

14:30 EST Thursday, Jul 21, 2011

**Advertisement

Hide advertisment

BlackBerry PlayBook Wins 'Best in Show' Award at FOSE 2011

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 21, 2011) - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) announced today that it has received FIPS 140-2 certification for the new BlackBerry(R) PlayBook(TM) tablet, making the BlackBerry PlayBook the first tablet certified for deployment within U.S. federal government agencies. No other tablet on the market has gained FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) certification from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which is required under the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 (FISMA).

"RIM is pleased to announce that the BlackBerry PlayBook is the first tablet approved under FIPS for use within the U.S. federal government," said Scott Totzke, Senior Vice President, BlackBerry Security at Research In Motion. "This certification demonstrates our continued commitment to meeting the needs of security-conscious organizations and enables the U.S. federal government to buy with confidence knowing that the PlayBook meets their computing policy requirements for protecting sensitive information."

BlackBerry PlayBook is a powerful, ultra-portable tablet that fits comfortably in one hand. It has a stunning 7-inch high resolution display, offers true multi-tasking capabilities and a high-fidelity web experience. It also allows for secure pairing with BlackBerry(R) smartphones via the BlackBerry(R) Bridge(TM) app, which enables users to access their BlackBerry smartphone's email, calendar, address book, memo pad, task list, BBM (BlackBerry(R) Messenger) and browsing functionality using the larger display on the tablet.

The FIPS-certified BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is being showcased this week in Washington DC at FOSE - the largest Federal government information technology conference in the U.S. - where BlackBerry PlayBook has just been awarded Best in Show, and also Best of FOSE in the Handheld Devices category.
    07-21-11 02:02 PM

Haha I made the exact same comment under the CB post.
    07-21-11 02:20 PM
    But it does not secure anything on the tablet itself, and relies on communication with a central server for content and a virtual desktop. So having Citrix does not secure any information stored locally on the device, like PIM or the content of e-mails.

CITRIX doesn't need to secure anything on the client as it leaves nothing on it. I work in a Large Healthcare organization and we use citrix for just about everything outside of our network and we are heavily regulated by the gov't.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-21-11 02:47 PM
    RIM stock jumps 5% on the fips certification.
    07-21-11 02:52 PM
    CITRIX doesn't need to secure anything on the client as it leaves nothing on it. I work in a Large Healthcare organization and we use citrix for just about everything outside of our network and we are heavily regulated by the gov't.
    Exactly! I know this. So if you don't have a connection to your network then you can't do anything. It is an extremely secure connection to your network, and the services are hosted all on that network, not the device. My point is Citrix on any device does nothing for the security of any information stored locally on that device. A native crypto kernel provides security for the information stored locally on a device. BB phones have an approved kernel and it is why they can get e-mail, PIM, etc from Government exchange servers via the BES and that info is stored local on the device. This is now possible for the Playbook once they role out the native apps.
    07-21-11 04:04 PM

Haha I made the exact same comment under the CB post.
    Indeed BGR did--> BlackBerry PlayBook becomes first tablet approved for U.S. government use

I suppose that story & the Android Player Leak are biased anti-RIM stories too huh??
    07-21-11 04:07 PM
    [Quote] Today, Certicom (the RIM subsidiary who actually wrote Playbook's crypto kernel) also received a FIPS 140-2 certificate on the generic QNX/ARMv7 platform.

Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules

Guess what Certicom also sells --- DRM.

Certicom Digital Rights Management (DRM).
    07-21-11 06:50 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD