US Army runs smartphone trial, could see 'limited deployment' later this year -- Engadget

All those billions of dollars and none of them have enough brains to use a BlackBerry.
    07-18-11 11:51 AM
    I'm sure most of them already had their own phones taking snapshots, etc. I just find it odd that they didn't go to the blackberry to begin with when they knew they would need the information secure. It's not like it's a new concept, tons of the military people including Obama use blackberries.
    07-18-11 11:56 AM
    Too bad. Blackberry devices could be deployed right now without the security concerns. Good job with the delays on the new gear RIM!
    07-18-11 01:04 PM
    So from reading the article, am I supposed to infer that the US military is not even testing BB devices. Or is that just the writers opinion?
    07-18-11 05:06 PM
    No. No BB. Military needs better hardware and software than RIM currently has released. Security and encryption is easily developed on other platforms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 09:15 PM
    No. No BB. Military needs better hardware and software than RIM currently has released. Security and encryption is easily developed on other platforms.

If that were true then Android wouldnt be the **** of every mobile malware joke on the internet, and the iPhone would have ever been jailbreakable via a simple web page.
    07-18-11 09:23 PM
    Yes they are. But only one manufacturer really fits the military's security requirements. BlackBerry. The question is can BlackBerry fit the other needs of the military. FIPS 140-2 Certs aren't a joke. And nobody does it better than RIM. )
    daveycrocket and 01itr like this.
    07-18-11 09:37 PM
    I was in the Army, I fail to see the point of these tests. Touch screen phones and even BB's trackpad to not work with even a slight bit of moisture on them, and lord knows, in the Army, everything is always wet. Seems useless the prospect of "sorry can't do it cause it's raining".
    daveycrocket and Ibn la Ahad like this.
    07-18-11 10:47 PM
    I was in the Army, I fail to see the point of these tests. Touch screen phones and even BB's trackpad to not work with even a slight bit of moisture on them, and lord knows, in the Army, everything is always wet. Seems useless the prospect of "sorry can't do it cause it's raining".
    Secure software comes first, next is competent hardware. Hence the trial bases, who knows whats in the works for military use, like you said; current cant do it. In the end what gets developed for military will not be whats in the hands of the consumer for so many reasons..
    07-18-11 11:09 PM
    No doubt the military is *testing* other devices/platforms. But to put either Android or iOS behind firewalls is not doable just yet. They are simply not certified and no IT department can introduce them without the certification. They would simply be breaking infrastructure specifications as well as security requirements.
    I'm sure that there are sandboxed instances...absolutely. But certified to run within the environment? Nah. They don't meet mil specs.
    iOS possibly. In a while.

My agency is *considering* allowing iPads for staff authorized to telework. They would allow them to use them with our secure tokens. It's not flying. We cannot get the authorization.

Still working that.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-19-11 at 03:41 AM.
    07-19-11 03:36 AM
    Its amazing just how many people in this community simply don't "get it" as to why this really isn't practical. Sure, it works fine for the "office worker" use case (where you'll find plenty of BlackBerry devices in the US DoD), but its a complete non-starter for the actual soldier. Why?

First, none of the standard consumer smartphones meet military specifications for environmental tolerances or usability, as mentioned by fabfreddie. Remember, its not just a matter of slapping an Otterbox around the thing. It also has to stand up to extreme temperatures, humidity ranges, and also be usable by someone wearing gloves.

Second, what data network are you going to run these off of in the field? Do you seriously think the military can rely on fixed GSM or CDMA cell towers in the middle of nowhere? If such towers even exist, and aren't being shot at, what's to stop the bad guys from accessing them and pinpointing friendly troop positions? Oh, and I seriously doubt those networks were designed with jamming (or any electronic warfare considerations) in mind either.

So could you build a device that ran a popular mobile OS, met military specifications, and ran on a tactical radio network? Sure. Would it be the same device a consumer like you would by? **** no! Would it cost a fortune to develop and mass produce? You better believe it. And would it look anything like your stock BlackBerry, HTC/Motorola/Samsung Android phone, or an iPhone? I seriously doubt it.
    07-19-11 06:44 AM

In order to use any device like this on foreign soil you have to FIPS 140-2 crypto certification. If it were easy Apple's iOS crypto kernel for the iPhone and iPad would not still be stuck in testing since iOS 3. Yes they have been trying to get it certified for over two years. Oh and if they get iOS4 ever approved, they can't upgrade to iOS5 without certifying it too. Nature of the beast. The hackability (i.e Jailbreaking and Rooting) can't be helping them on this front at all.

Also we know that the Military is actively testing the Playbook for use. Very possible that RIM is showing the Military what QNX phones will look like and maybe even a few advanced prototypes, all with an NDA of course.

Also with the Blackberry Smartcard reader now FIPS approved it gives RIM another leg up on the security and in field usability front.
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-19-11 at 08:10 AM.
    07-19-11 08:02 AM
    In order to use any device like this on foreign soil you have to FIPS 140-2 crypto certification. If it were easy Apple's iOS crypto kernel for the iPhone and iPad would not still be stuck in testing since iOS 3. Yes they have been trying to get it certified for over two years. Oh and if they get iOS4 ever approved, they can't upgrade to iOS5 without certifying it too. Nature of the beast. The hackability (i.e Jailbreaking and Rooting) can't be helping them on this front at all.

Also we know that the Military is actively testing the Playbook for use. Very possible that RIM is showing the Military what QNX phones will look like and maybe even a few advanced prototypes, all with an NDA of course.

Also with the Blackberry Smartcard reader now FIPS approved it gives RIM another leg up on the security and in field usability front.
    Yessir. Apple has been trying for it's 140-2 cert since 2008. It's obviously not easy. Depending on the application the military are using the smartphones for is going to determine which devices will be used. RIM most definitely has " a leg up" on the competition. ))
    07-19-11 10:00 AM
    RIM needs to bring back the 7XXX series body and build with the 9900 series internals for Military use,

I have seen those old beasts beaten smashed squished and wet and keep working, the side wheel was awesome for use in extreme colds (-40C). The trackpad is hard to use at that temp!

They already have the case dyes made!! Let's do it up RIM lol

07-19-11 12:07 PM
    quote; Second, what data network are you going to run these off of in the field? Do you seriously think the military can rely on fixed GSM or CDMA cell towers in the middle of nowhere? If such towers even exist, and aren't being shot at, what's to stop the bad guys from accessing them and pinpointing friendly troop positions? Oh, and I seriously doubt those networks were designed with jamming (or any electronic warfare considerations) in mind either.

So is this not another selling point for BES? (moble BES, good idea?)
    07-19-11 03:21 PM
    I'm in the military and I can tell you for a fact that the iphone has already passed FIPS 140-2...the Andriod is still being tested. We should be getting them within the month.
    07-19-11 06:38 PM
    Thanks for your service, Theres some smart people in here that I believe over you. Further I believe the info that you state as a fact is posted on the internet for all to see, that its not. POST it if you know what your talking about!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-19-11 at 06:50 PM.
    07-19-11 06:48 PM
    Thanks for saying that, I appreciate it sincerely... As to the latter, no, I will not post that information here. take it as fact or don't, doesnt matter to me.
    07-19-11 06:52 PM
    Thanks for saying that, I appreciate it sincerely... As to the latter, no, I will not post that information here. take it as fact or don't, doesnt matter to me.
    As of yesterday the iphone and ipad were both still at IUT status. QNX tablet OS is at coordination status...

Dapper37 likes this.
    07-19-11 07:13 PM
    http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...0InProcess.pdf

07-19-11 07:29 PM
    our military invented smartphones back in vietnam.....they were not called "smartphones" then, but the USA leads it all!!!!
    07-19-11 07:40 PM
    As far as I know RIM software is the only mobile platform currently aloud to access the military computers. couple that with new security certification, RIM is in. One thing is for sure, the military could give a ****e whats popular.
    07-20-11 12:00 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't QNX already used in the military??? Is no one making the easy connections here?
    07-20-11 10:41 AM

My agency is *considering* allowing iPads for staff authorised to telework. They would allow them to use them with our secure tokens. It's not flying. We cannot get the authorisation.

Still working that.
    So why not *consider* Playbook? Not as many apps and games?
    07-20-11 12:54 PM
    Ipads are certified for Citrix, Playbook is not.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-20-11 12:56 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD