He is the man however you look at it and I have so much respect for this man on both personal and professional terms. There are 100 reasons which can be attributed to RIM's downturn some RIM's faults and some the competitors were too good because of their background (20 years experience in personal computing) which RIM couldn't match in time and was caught offgaurd but after all that he has got balls to regain his confidence and try something different not succumb to use Windows or Android. No matter however you toss it BB10 is his vision - buying QNX, Tat and other fine pieces like Torch mobile etc. Jan 30th is not too far off to witness the magic unfold. Anyways that aside here is a very nice read on ML and how he transformed the whole city of waterloo with vision and love for Canada..

RIM's Mike Lazaridis Takes A Quantum Leap Of Faith In Waterloo | Fast Company
    01-17-13 12:43 AM
    Nobody disputes Mike Lazaridis' achievements in forging the era of smartphones almost 20 years ago. He was a visionary and an engineer. As the company he co-founded reached middle-age it became risk averse and blinded by its successful history. He will undoubtedly be featured in MBA courses and business textbooks but his first mistake was taking Research In Motion public and allowing vultures to feast upon the living carcass. Maybe he should walk away from Research In Motion to create another engineering start-up or establish an incubator-type environment for other start-ups.
    01-17-13 01:26 AM
    Mike L is the man, he's fine where he is. Some of RIMs biggest shareholders are involved as a direct result of Mike L staying put! His legacy is yet to be complete!
    01-17-13 01:56 AM
    Kitchener is really improving more then waterloo lately I think though
    01-17-13 11:06 AM
    Kitchener is really improving more then waterloo lately I think though
    That's because Kitchener really NEEDS to improve... lol
    01-17-13 11:08 AM
    t his first mistake was taking Research In Motion public and allowing vultures to feast upon the living carcass. Maybe he should walk away from Research In Motion to create another engineering start-up or establish an incubator-type environment for other start-ups.
    It's very unfortunate that these topics always seem to bring out armchair execs. He (and Jim) can always say "made $19 billion company from nothing". What does your resume say?
    01-17-13 11:12 AM
    Watched the opening ceremony for the new section the other day on TV, he is so modest, they just mentioned an anonymous donor who gave $50 million, and didn't say his name once. He stood off to the side, but he was one of several who cut the ribbon.
    01-17-13 11:13 AM
    Mike L is the man, he's fine where he is. Some of RIMs biggest shareholders are involved as a direct result of Mike L staying put! His legacy is yet to be complete!
    I think he has a lot to offer but needs to walk away from the BlackBerry division of Research In Motion and focus his talents on cultivating science and technology start-ups as a mentor or strategic partner. I could not give a d-amn about the biggest RIMM shareholders; they are vultures and even the small-time shareholders populating this forum are just waving their genitalia saying "Look at me! I am important - really I am." RIM will do just fine if BlackBerry 10 catches fire with smartphone users including those currently using another platform. Only 13 days remain before the curtain is drawn back and BlackBerry 10 takes centre stage.
    01-17-13 11:15 AM
    Nobody disputes Mike Lazaridis' achievements in forging the era of smartphones almost 20 years ago. He was a visionary and an engineer. As the company he co-founded reached middle-age it became risk averse and blinded by its successful history. He will undoubtedly be featured in MBA courses and business textbooks but his first mistake was taking Research In Motion public and allowing vultures to feast upon the living carcass. Maybe he should walk away from Research In Motion to create another engineering start-up or establish an incubator-type environment for other start-ups.
    the problem with hindsight is it comes too late to do anything about it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 11:25 AM
    the problem with hindsight is it comes too late to do anything about it!
    Yes, but that does not preclude Mike L. from taking his expertise and forging another start-up of his own or being a mentor to aspiring science, technology and engineering entrepreneurs. He has experience getting over the hurdle of turning an idea into a product which is where most entrepreneurs across the spectrum tend to stumble. I am sure Mike L. could be a force multiplier as a by-product of his own experience if he decided to pursue other opportunities outside the blackberry patch. Read the book about how Research In Motion began; you might learn something about the co-founders which will surprise you in a positive way.
    01-17-13 11:41 AM