RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis shows off the BlackBerry PlayBook once again | CrackBerry.com

If you listen, he once again completely dodges the question when asked if AND when QNX will be coming to the BB. He just goes off on a tangent and talking about the stupid UI on the PB. WTF MIKE?!?!?! ANSWER THE FRACKING QUESTION!!! How hard is it to just say, "Look, I know what consumers what, I know they want this QNX OS on their phones, but we're currently limited by chipset designs and costs. It's coming, but it probably won't happen until x timeframe." Ya, sure, it would kill their stock, but if he's a CEO worth a damn, he'd know how to properly spin the answer to keep negativity from happening. And to add more gas on the fire, at the end of the video he's hinting that the price for a PB should be higher then the iPad because it can do more then the iPad can.

Keep digging that hole Mike.
    12-10-10 04:56 PM
    his hole will need a headstone that reads "RIP RIM"
    12-10-10 05:08 PM
    I'm Sure MR lazaridis is'nt given anwsers about any dates concerning multi-core phones due to strategical-tactical concerns, trust me they have been and are working hard at making, new up to date phones.
    Me being a Torch onwer i dont like to say this but i think the Torch is just a stopgap solution, to bridge the time to QNX-smartphones. Don't get me wrong the torch is'nt that bad it runs on a Armv7 Cortex-A8 compliant CPU wich is fairly up to date but it lacks a dedicated GPU and doesn't run on 1Ghz as most competitors do.

Mr. Lazardis is a engineer not someone being educated to tame the media althoug i did find his anwsers prette weak especcially as the story "blackberry runs perfect on 2g bla bla bla" has been heard before.

but then again if the phones aren't as bad as his answers are i'm not concerned
    Last edited by Dodger52; 12-10-10 at 05:27 PM.
    12-10-10 05:25 PM
    "There still large communities - you know - large countries of users that are still running on 2G and in those environments BlackBerry is perfectly designed."

So I should take my Storm and move to a 3rd world country and everything would be fine.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-10-10 05:28 PM
    i sometimes feel people expect CEO`s of companies to go `listen up competition, heres exactly what we got planned for next year, we`re gonna tell everyone so you can get ahead of us` i mean i get people want info, but its like car compaines that test cars with extra bits and camo paint etc added so people dont know whats underneath, its a competitive market and ya dont throw your edge away when you get it.
    12-10-10 05:47 PM
    Mike not answering the questions he is being asked is really starting to get to me. I feel like every time the PlayBook is shown we see basically the same things and maybe a few minor details of a feature we haven't seen before. Other people aren't allowed to touch the device to control what we see as well. So these onlookers turn to questions to try and get insight on what we really want to know and we still receive barley anything. The question about the PB having it's own PIN was asked and it was never answered. Tethering/pairing still hasn't been explained, price, release date, inclusion with preexisting data packages, NOTHING!
    And the more I hear about other tablets on the horizon it appears the PB is going to be less revolutionary. I was considering buying a 1st gen. PB even though it isn't wise because the high probability of bugs, but since Mike's SEMI-confirmation that the PB will come in different sizes I have considered holding off again. This coupled with information I hear about other tabs (i.e. whichever tab runs Honeycomb allows you to have 2 windows open side by side like Windows 7, that can be VERY USEFUL to the business consumer right?) If RIM continues to wait the specs of the PB will be simply on par if not sub-par to the competition. And it really does sadden me because RIM used to set the curve, now they are playing catch-up.
    COME ON RIM! I want all the above questions answered, I want to see an OS6 and OS5 device paired with the PB and I want to see apps run on it.
    12-10-10 06:03 PM
    Mike not answering the questions he is being asked is really starting to get to me. I feel like every time the PlayBook is shown we see basically the same things and maybe a few minor details of a feature we haven't seen before. Other people aren't allowed to touch the device to control what we see as well. So these onlookers turn to questions to try and get insight on what we really want to know and we still receive barley anything. The question about the PB having it's own PIN was asked and it was never answered. Tethering/pairing still hasn't been explained, price, release date, inclusion with preexisting data packages, NOTHING!
    And the more I hear about other tablets on the horizon it appears the PB is going to be less revolutionary. I was considering buying a 1st gen. PB even though it isn't wise because the high probability of bugs, but since Mike's SEMI-confirmation that the PB will come in different sizes I have considered holding off again. This coupled with information I hear about other tabs (i.e. whichever tab runs Honeycomb allows you to have 2 windows open side by side like Windows 7, that can be VERY USEFUL to the business consumer right?) If RIM continues to wait the specs of the PB will be simply on par if not sub-par to the competition. And it really does sadden me because RIM used to set the curve, now they are playing catch-up.
    COME ON RIM! I want all the above questions answered, I want to see an OS6 and OS5 device paired with the PB and I want to see apps run on it.

With what we now of the playbook it's is actually still ahead of alot of it's competitors ipad Galaxy, Tab etc. Featuring A dual core, A 5 and 3MP camera, and A rock Solid OS.

With Technology moving faster than everbefore and boundries being pushed, to the extend that they don't exist anymore, it's really hard to stay ahead but for now they are.
    12-10-10 06:55 PM
    With what we now of the playbook it's is actually still ahead of alot of it's competitors ipad Galaxy, Tab etc. Featuring A dual core, A 5 and 3MP camera, and A rock Solid OS.

With Technology moving faster than everbefore and boundries being pushed, to the extend that they don't exist anymore, it's really hard to stay ahead but for now they are.
    that has yet to be proven IMO
    12-10-10 07:08 PM
    Yeah it sucks that Mike didn't go more in depth for what's to come. At least what we got out of this whole D: Dive conference is that upcoming smartphones will be multi-core and closer to the PB. In this newest video that was posted on CB Mike said..

"I think I've been very clear today. I've been talking about how the Blackberry Playbook Tablet OS is designed for multi-core environments. That's where it really unleashes it's powers. In those multi-core environments we've got products coming out...some of those products are smartphones..........."

Then he goes and talks about 2G smartphones around the world being successful. He did hint at a lot of things that day. I'm just hoping it's because they want to officially announce it at CES, Devcon Asia, or WES. There could be reasoning that benefits the company we might not understand.

They were pretty quiet about the Playbook before it was officially announced. Everyone asked about it only to hear "We don't talk about future products"....but every analyst was sure it would be unveiled when it was. I'm hoping the same thing is happening here.
    12-10-10 07:10 PM
    Funny because, if he comes out says EVERYTHING RIM is planning, everyone would say RIM expose their hand too soon! Also, don't they still have Blackberry World (FKA WES)?? So, they need to to keep some things to themselves or else, they wouldn't have anything new to say at their BIG event.
    12-10-10 07:15 PM
    the thing is if they come out in Q4 that is still sticking to what he said. There is no timetable given at all really. its a huge guessing game. CES will have to clear things up
    12-10-10 07:15 PM
    Rim just needs to price the playbook to be competive with all the other tabets out and coming in the future. So dont price it higher just cause its better than the ipad for the monment that will do nothing but slow sales when Rim needs to pick up sales to be profitable. In these econimic times consumers and businesses are not going to pay top dollar for tools or toys until the econemy stablizes and starts to show a strong inprovement. Sure I want a 4g Playbook but do I need a an over priced toy "NO" so if it comes out over priced it will just remain on alot of wish lists. And then the cheaper competors may be the ones profiting!!!!!!
    12-10-10 07:21 PM
    that has yet to be proven IMO
    They using a OMAP4 4430/4440 both running at 1ghz a PowerVR SGX540 etcetera, so what hasn't been proven yet?
    12-10-10 07:21 PM
    umm the part i highlighted in bold....
    12-10-10 07:24 PM
    He's right, a rock solid OS hasn't been proven yet. I definitely think it has potential though and LOOKS like it'll be solid over time. But we have to wait and see when they'll actually be letting people play with the tablet themselves.

Right now, having reps and CEOs show off the tablet in their own hands doesn't show much confidence in the software. Hopefully it'll be polished by CES and they will allow people to play with it.
    12-10-10 07:37 PM
    i think it coming out in q1 is indicitive of what he thinks about consumers and what they want. if he was smart, he'd have released in early q4, in time for xmas and little timmy, his mom, his uncle, granny, and everyone to get one of these things.

furthermore, im not sure about some of you but im about sick of seeing the videos and him toting around the 7 inch to every place he goes. enough already dude! release the pricing so we know what to expect! alluding to a more expensive price point is sure to keep me from purchasing this.

i dont care how innovative it is, this is an overpowered ebook, im not looking to make an expense of more than 500. if rim goes off the deep end like ipad...ill end up not buying one and continue with my laptop.

and as much as i dislike apple, at least they wait until the announcement and release it that very same day. granted, there is a healthy amount of speculation but there isnt 5 million videos of czar steve toting around his little device everywhere bragging about it and still not selling it.

its just all getting ridiculous and annoying.
    12-10-10 07:52 PM
    This thing is late too. Yes, late. (click me) Whatever price he's gonna say, even if it sells for 200 bucks, it's still late.
    12-10-10 08:24 PM
    RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis shows off the BlackBerry PlayBook once again | CrackBerry.com

If you listen, he once again completely dodges the question when asked if AND when QNX will be coming to the BB. He just goes off on a tangent and talking about the stupid UI on the PB. WTF MIKE?!?!?! ANSWER THE FRACKING QUESTION!!! How hard is it to just say, "Look, I know what consumers what, I know they want this QNX OS on their phones, but we're currently limited by chipset designs and costs. It's coming, but it probably won't happen until x timeframe." Ya, sure, it would kill their stock, but if he's a CEO worth a damn, he'd know how to properly spin the answer to keep negativity from happening. And to add more gas on the fire, at the end of the video he's hinting that the price for a PB should be higher then the iPad because it can do more then the iPad can.

Keep digging that hole Mike.
    Sorry but you're being an ***. NO CEO is worth a damn can do spin to stave off Damage .. including Jobs who's the VERY BEST at SPIN ... **** he evented SPIN. After the whole I blame technology of all the competitors' death grip, and then with the combacks and Apple forced to remove it from their main page ... the sales of IP4 have actually dropped in % per 30days - still they outsell BB in the USA but their advanced sales are not climbing so steeply.

That said RIM has been UP/Down like a rollercoaster in stock for almost 3QTR's flat if not much longer. NO SPIN is going to help this. Its smart to not say anything at all - then launch and surprise the whole pundits (analysts and couch riders like you ready to up the stock even for a short while).

PS: 4yr deal worth $117 Million (or Billion) for Federal Canadian gov for BB's will help their stocks.
    12-10-10 08:39 PM
    and as much as i dislike apple, at least they wait until the announcement and release it that very same day. granted, there is a healthy amount of speculation but there isnt 5 million videos of czar steve toting around his little device everywhere bragging about it and still not selling it.

its just all getting ridiculous and annoying.
    The ipad was announced in Jan and released in April.
    12-10-10 08:45 PM
    This thing is late too. Yes, late. (click me) Whatever price he's gonna say, even if it sells for 200 bucks, it's still late.
    How is it late? It was always supposed to be sold Q1 2011. Also, what are those junk tablets you posted for?
    12-10-10 08:46 PM
    How is it late? It was always supposed to be sold Q1 2011. Also, what are those junk tablets you posted for?
    Junk or not, the majority won't really care, especially if they are cheaper, but still can check their email and browse the web. Those who can afford more expensive stuff "may" buy it , but I won't be holding my breath for a breakthrough here, even if it sells cheaper than thought.
    12-10-10 08:53 PM
    The ipad was announced in Jan and released in April.
    ...in 2010. Different era, different market, different competition climate. iPad had virtually no compeititon during that time. It counted as something unique. That era has changed and it's gone. Even if it's just less than a year ago. Not to mention RIM announces it before the holidays, and then the whole holiday season passes by and then release it during the dog months of winter, when all the built up anticipation and shopping fever has passed by. It's the announcement and release date, that time between those 2 is what crucial. I wonder how the compeititon will be doing by the 1Q of '11.
    corymcnutt likes this.
    12-10-10 09:01 PM
    Junk or not, the majority won't really care, especially if they are cheaper, but still can check their email and browse the web. Those who can afford more expensive stuff "may" buy it , but I won't be holding my breath for a breakthrough here, even if it sells cheaper than thought.
    That's great if you want a tablet that's cheaply built, doesn't compare in processing power, lacks a front camera, has an inferior battery, has resistive touch vs capacitive, lacks a good warranty/service support, lacks regular Android update support, lacks big name editor reviews, etc.

I'd say many of the "under $200" tablets you posted fall under one or all of these. But hey if you just want to browse the web and check e-mail go for it. Some people want more and have the $$ for more.
    Shodan775 likes this.
    12-10-10 09:01 PM

only in a "distorted" field can a product that is barely above vaporware be considered better than proven devices that are selling in the millions. indeed, by the time this thing comes out, if it ever does in this form, it will need to be compared to android 3.0 tabs and ipad2.
    12-10-10 09:24 PM
    That's great if you want a tablet that's cheaply built, doesn't compare in processing power, lacks a front camera, has an inferior battery, has resistive touch vs capacitive, lacks a good warranty/service support, lacks regular Android update support, lacks big name editor reviews, etc.

I'd say many of the "under $200" tablets you posted fall under one or all of these. But hey if you just want to browse the web and check e-mail go for it. Some people want more and have the $$ for more.
    there are going to be over 80 tabs out next year. if PB can get noticed more power to it. the winners will have apps and an "ecosystem".
    12-10-10 09:29 PM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD