Engadget recently posted the FULL interview from D: Dive with Mike L. I noticed at the very end (last 10 seconds) during his answering of a question about the TAT acquisition he mentions being excited for where they're going with "Blackberry 6.1"

Slip up?

All Things D posts full Mike Lazaridis video from D: Dive Into Mobile -- Engadget

Do you guys think that's what they'll call their QNX OS on their upcoming next-gen smartphones? I wonder if they want to stay away from large name jumps like BB7 as to not leave their current user base in the dust. The Playbook OS has a ui that's more touch friendly but also has some elements from BB6. Like the categories of the icons. What do you think?
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 12-13-10 at 06:03 PM.
    12-13-10 05:34 PM
    im not sure
    i would like them to leave 0s6 name behind just because its not the normal blackberry platform
    but i understand keeping it as a 6.1 because of the terrible push in my view towards os6 already
    its tough to say i could see it going both ways maybe os6.1 is just an update for there os6 devices like when they did 4.6/4.7 ddint really intoduce new phones so much and a whole new platform just a new OS
    thats my two loonies
    12-13-10 05:41 PM
    RIM isn't shifting to QNX yet, so i dont see any reason for them to change the naming scheme...yet.

6.1 for all intents and purposes is probably nothing more than some more lipstick on the aging BBOS platform, and irrelevant features added until QNX is released, in which it will be designated OS 7.

From OS 7 and beyond we'll see the hardware change and devices running any variant of 6 is SOFL.
    12-13-10 05:44 PM
    qnx will be on blackberrys next year i say Q2 or Q3.
    and before you aswk or say how do you know cx just confirmed it today check his posts and you will see. comming from cx its its pretty much a sure thing.
    12-13-10 06:02 PM
    Right. QNX is looking to come on smartphones around BB World (May) but I'm just wondering what 6.1 is all about with QNX coming mid 2011.

devildrifterX could be right and it just might be an update for BB6 on current smartphones.

I just thought it COULD be a possibility that they'll call QNX OS that since it's on a whole new platform but some ui elements come from 6.0. But I guess it'd be smarter to just completely step up to OS7 if they will go with the trend since they want it to be a big statement of having an OS that can compete with Android/iOS.
    12-13-10 06:07 PM
    i think rim is going to keep the two os qnx and blackberry 6 will be seperate it will give people choices
    12-13-10 06:09 PM
    i think rim is going to keep the two os qnx and blackberry 6 will be seperate it will give people choices
    I think that choice will be an easy one.
    12-13-10 06:13 PM
    Doubt it, RIM already struggles with just the one OS it has on its hands already. The writing is on the wall for the current platform, in a year and a half (Q2 2013) i expect OS 6 devices to be phased out completely with focus being solely on QNX. I'm sure RIM will push those old *** phones to "developing markets" just to liquidate inventory, since they will be the only ones dumb enough to buy it.

6.1 will most likely be the "hold over" for devices before the new and hopefully much improved hardware drops. RIM isnt going to redesign their code for multi-core processors, but to be frank i dont think they could even if they wanted to lol.
    12-13-10 06:25 PM
    rim has a very tough job ahead dealing with two very different OS. they run the risk, with QNX, of losing the essence of what people love about their BB. At the same time it won't be appealing enough or have the depth of ecosystem for iphone or android users to make a switch.
    12-13-10 06:27 PM
    all i can say is rim have another 2 weeks or so to get some of these bugs out of os6 for 9780 or i will seriously be considering leaving again.
    12-13-10 06:42 PM
    rim has a very tough job ahead dealing with two very different OS. they run the risk, with QNX, of losing the essence of what people love about their BB. At the same time it won't be appealing enough or have the depth of ecosystem for iphone or android users to make a switch.
    QNX is robust and can be made secure. The current OS, while secure isnt robust, and it never will be.

While they have room to play on their tablet, i'm sure RIM will be playing it very safe on their phones. I highly doubt QNX will run like that on a phone to be honest. UI wise, it isnt practical for a phone for the most part...kinda how Froyo isnt practical for a tablet.

There are a few things on their phones that have made them a relative hit (keyboard, messaging, notifications), so they will build out from the things they do well, while implementing all the things that makes BBOS severely lacking to competition.

If RIM nails its QNX implementation on the phones, they wont lose any loyal users.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 12-13-10 at 09:29 PM.
    12-13-10 06:50 PM
    BB7 is QNX, BB6.1 is a highly tweaked BB6. it would make no sense to make QNX a BB6.x.x.x when it essentially has nothing to do with BB6
    12-13-10 08:45 PM
    If I was a stock holder in RIM, I would be tearing my hair out. This past year and a half has been one big drain on capital - between the acquisitions, the failed hardware refreshes, the OS refreshes only to be replaced by QNX, the loss in market share, future market share loss due to confused marketing of devices/OSes...how tall is the building in Waterloo, anyway?
    12-13-10 10:36 PM
    RIM isn't shifting to QNX yet, so i dont see any reason for them to change the naming scheme...yet.

6.1 for all intents and purposes is probably nothing more than some more lipstick on the aging BBOS platform, and irrelevant features added until QNX is released, in which it will be designated OS 7.

From OS 7 and beyond we'll see the hardware change and devices running any variant of 6 is SOFL.
    If you look at the UI of the PB, it's already pretty layed out and polished. Who's to say that the acquisition of TAT wasn't to spiff up OS6's UI a bit more since it'll be on BBs for a bit longer? Everyone's thinking it was for the PB, but initially, what's the chance TAT could have something finalized before the PB releases in a couple of months? I dunno, seems more likely they'd be working on improving the UI of the existing BBOS, help the ThemeBuilder guys revamp that product, and then transition to QNX UI design and skinning afterwards for the PB and into BB handhelds once those roll out.
    12-13-10 10:54 PM
    all i can say is rim have another 2 weeks or so to get some of these bugs out of os6 for 9780 or i will seriously be considering leaving again.
    OH ****!!!! Expect some big changes in the next couple weeks! RIM will take this EXTREMLY seriously.

Settle down. You're not even as upset as you try to come across. CONSIDER leaving? Lol. RIM owns you. You'll be Rimming for life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dcorx likes this.
    12-13-10 11:25 PM
    If you look at the UI of the PB, it's already pretty layed out and polished. Who's to say that the acquisition of TAT wasn't to spiff up OS6's UI a bit more since it'll be on BBs for a bit longer? Everyone's thinking it was for the PB, but initially, what's the chance TAT could have something finalized before the PB releases in a couple of months? I dunno, seems more likely they'd be working on improving the UI of the existing BBOS, help the ThemeBuilder guys revamp that product, and then transition to QNX UI design and skinning afterwards for the PB and into BB handhelds once those roll out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read that RIM had been working with TAT before the acquisition.

Also...QNX is developing the new OS, but does that mean the OS name will change to not even include BlackBerry in it at all? Its not like Android where it runs on a different phones by different manufacturers. The phones and OS are hand in hand. I don't see them straying too far from the BB name.

12-13-10 11:30 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read that RIM had been working with TAT before the acquisition.

Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying, if anyone's going to do any UI work from now on, it's probably the TAT guys.

12-14-10 12:55 AM
    Oh, I don�t think OS 6.1 the new QNX.

It might be a 6.0 improvment, with:
    - a "better working" social app (twitter, fb, etc.)
    - and maybe with Adobe Flash 10.1 (as promised)

For me it feels 6.0 is still a unfinished "beta", which they just threw on the market because of the Torch (to add something for "lame" specs.).

But what I don�t get is why RIM always makes new OS-version, while not all devices get real-working "officials".
    12-14-10 02:57 AM

But what I don�t get is why RIM always makes new OS-version, while not all devices get real-working "officials".
    an "official" version is what a carrier deems ready to release. RIM writes the code and when they feel it's ready, they pass it on to the carrier for acceptance. If a carrier feels it's good for them, it's "official". Other carriers will tell RIM what they need fixed, and round it goes.
    12-14-10 05:30 AM
    an "official" version is what a carrier deems ready to release. RIM writes the code and when they feel it's ready, they pass it on to the carrier for acceptance. If a carrier feels it's good for them, it's "official". Other carriers will tell RIM what they need fixed, and round it goes.
    Yeah, that's right.
    But all those leaked versions have to pass a bunch of tests to become "official".
    And most of that Version take "forever" to pass them.

Didn't you remember how long it took for the 8520 to get a "real working" 5.0?
    Almost a half year after the 8900 or 9000

12-14-10 05:53 AM
    OS 6.1!?!?!?!?!

I'll see it, then I'll believe it LOL

Good article.

12-14-10 06:04 AM
    Oh, I don�t think OS 6.1 the new QNX.

It might be a 6.0 improvment, with:
    - a "better working" social app (twitter, fb, etc.)
    - and maybe with Adobe Flash 10.1 (as promised)

For me it feels 6.0 is still a unfinished "beta", which they just threw on the market because of the Torch (to add something for "lame" specs.).

I don't mean to be crude or disrespectful to everyone involved with the CB site because I love it, but BBOS6 is nothing more then just a new skin on the same subplatform... much like the new CB look is.

Again, no disrespect, but it's the easiest comparison I can think of that people could understand, but what works best for a forum doesn't work so well for a smartphone OS who's core technology is the issue moreso then the UI itself.
    12-14-10 11:51 AM
    That's bull**** 6.0 uses Java 6.0 which is faster and newer and better has more possibilities. It also uses Nessus 2.0 instead of Nessus 1.13!
    12-14-10 01:55 PM
    That's bull**** 6.0 uses Java 6.0 which is faster and newer and better has more possibilities. It also uses Nessus 2.0 instead of Nessus 1.13!
    Really? And with all that, OS6 still can't do much more if anything more then OS5 can. RIM's biggest improvement of OS6 is the Torch browser... everything else is debatable.
    gots2beme likes this.
    12-14-10 02:30 PM
    QNX is RIM's future. I expect for the next while, we will see a mixture of 6.0 and QNX (6.1) until everything unites under one OS. At that point, I am positive that anything pre-QNX will be phased out.
    12-15-10 12:08 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD