Hi BB users,
    Sorry it's going to be a long post. I want to make sure moving to BB is the right choice. So, please help me
    I'm an android user(Samsung Galaxy Ace). I use mostly mail(always on active sync), browsing(at max 2 hours/day), music(at max 1 hour/day) apps.

Why I want to leave android:
    1. Battery Backup (it sucks).
    2. Phone lags most of the times.
    3. I love the BB- brand.

Doubts about BB:
    1. Battery backup and performance (obviously).
    2. Can I use normal data plans without BIS plans. ? as mentioned here: foneapp.blogspot.com: Use Internet on BlackBerry without BIS Plan
    Does that even work?
    3. Will I be able to use all BB apps over Wifi ?
    4. Problem of virus or lagging as in Symbian.
    5. Can I update from 7.1 to 10 OS?
    6. How will be the music quality ? ( headset + player)
    As of now, I liked BB Curve 9220 and planning to get it in 1-2 days.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Awaiting your replies.
    Last edited by mvmsk; 12-05-12 at 01:19 PM.
    12-05-12 12:47 PM
    1. Battery will be better, BUT it's still a smartphone, so don't expect more than a day to a couple days.

2. It MAY be possible to follow the instructions at the website, but I'm not sure, but it probably would work. HOWEVER you will not have BB services, that means, no BBM, no push email. The phone should work and texting, and you can probably sideload 3rd party data apps, such as Whatsup, and Opera Browser, BUT the RIM browser, and BBM and the email will not work. But you can check some of your email via the web via Opera, or their may be a client you can get for your email provider, but that is a long shot. You are MUCH better off actually getting the BB data plan.

3 Without the BB Data plan, no BB service even when connected to wifi. You need the BB Data plan, HOWEVER if you can pick a BB Data plan with a small minutes allowance, then only just use it while connected to wifi, you could be in business. You would have full access, unlimited that way.

4. I have never heard of a BB getting a virus and current models are pretty much lag free.
    mvmsk likes this.
    12-05-12 01:09 PM
    Answer to a couple of questions...

you CANNOT upgrade to BB10 from 7.... better to wait till Feb if BB10 is important to you... Used BB for a number of years and have never seen a virus...... as for Battery... One reason I like BB is the removable Battery,.... always carry a backup... If you watch what apps are running the battery life is good.... Unser what you mean by using all apps with WIFI,.... good luck whatever you decide
    12-05-12 01:13 PM
    Thank you
    A battery backup of one day is sufficient. I forgot to add one more query.

How will be the music quality ? ( headset + player)

1. Battery will be better, BUT it's still a smartphone, so don't expect more than a day to a couple days.

2. It MAY be possible to follow the instructions at the website, but I'm not sure, but it probably would work. HOWEVER you will not have BB services, that means, no BBM, no push email. The phone should work and texting, and you can probably sideload 3rd party data apps, such as Whatsup, and Opera Browser, BUT the RIM browser, and BBM and the email will not work. But you can check some of your email via the web via Opera, or their may be a client you can get for your email provider, but that is a long shot. You are MUCH better off actually getting the BB data plan.

3 Without the BB Data plan, no BB service even when connected to wifi. You need the BB Data plan, HOWEVER if you can pick a BB Data plan with a small minutes allowance, then only just use it while connected to wifi, you could be in business. You would have full access, unlimited that way.

4. I have never heard of a BB getting a virus and current models are pretty much lag free.
    12-05-12 01:19 PM
    will the new phones released in the feb be in price range like Curve 9220 ?
    and coming to using all apps with Wifi: i meant can we use bb apps + 3rd party apps without BIS plan over wifi
    Answer to a couple of questions...

you CANNOT upgrade to BB10 from 7.... better to wait till Feb if BB10 is important to you... Used BB for a number of years and have never seen a virus...... as for Battery... One reason I like BB is the removable Battery,.... always carry a backup... If you watch what apps are running the battery life is good.... Unser what you mean by using all apps with WIFI,.... good luck whatever you decide
    12-05-12 01:21 PM
    You need BIS to use many of the first party RIM apps. Some 3rd party apps will work without BIS, but the official social networking apps will not IIRC, like Facebook and Twitter, and the official IM clients like Google Talk, Windows LIve Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. BBM will not work without a BIS plan. Of course push email will also not work without a BIS plan. Also, BlackBerry App World will not work without a BIS plan. The new BB10's coming out around Feb. are more likely to be priced like a Bold or a Torch. I also recommend getting a BIS package, as it really is needed to get the most out of the BlackBerry experience.
    12-05-12 01:37 PM
    Migrating from Android to BB-293152_4524679528263_1511637015_n.jpg

So finally, my 9220
    12-17-12 10:46 AM
    Music quality is fine, you can also set your BBM to display what song you're listening to. I'd probably wait for BB10 if I were you, unless you're impatient like me. I have a dilemma myself.

Edit: Oh, you have it haha.
    12-17-12 11:17 AM
    Music quality is fine, you can also set your BBM to display what song you're listening to. I'd probably wait for BB10 if I were you, unless you're impatient like me. I have a dilemma myself.

Edit: Oh, you have it haha.
    well got it...no regrets
    12-17-12 11:56 AM