03-22-16 09:01 AM
46 12
tools
    And how many of these users were actually affected by these malwares? Not "potentially", "might be" or "could be" but actually affected?* The reason that you won't find articles that actually provide that information is that there actual measures that prevent android users from downloading malicious apps. One of them is that users actually have to change a very important setting - which is to allow their phone to download and install apps from 3rd party sites. And if the user decided not download the app or even install it then they don't get the malware. And as I posted before this setting and prompts are in kitkat as well.

Also the article that you posted only offered one solution to the problem while neglecting to mention the rest of the solutions listed from their source article which were:

"The following is a list of user behavior recommendations to better protect end users from mobile threats:

• Update the operating system to the latest as soon as an update becomes available
    • Do not click on any dialogue boxes popping up on your phone unless and until you are sure about the action that caused them to appear
    • Do not install applications from third-party app stores if you do not trust them (while in many cases this is not a realistic option, try to switch off the setting that allows third-party app installation)

(a) Step 1 – Open “Settings” app.
    (b) Step 2 – Navigate to “Security” settings
    (c) Step 3 – Uncheck “Unknown sources”

• Check for apps that utilize accessibility permissions on your device and turn this option off if you don’t recall turning it on or if you do not require that functionality.

(a) Open “Settings” app.
    (b) Navigate to “Accessibility” settings
    (c) Make sure there is either no there is no group named “Services”, or the group has no enabled entries."
    Thank you for stating facts and not sensationalism. It's refreshing to see on here.
    03-20-16 07:27 AM
    Here's a good one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...cDBg936sD08CkA

Imperiled? Talk about sensationalism. 😈
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-20-16 07:32 AM
    Here's a good one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...cDBg936sD08CkA

Imperiled? Talk about sensationalism. 
    Yep it has the same pattern as well.
    03-20-16 07:59 AM
    More sensationalism

Nexus devices to get a mid-month security patch after critical Linux kernel exploit discovered http://www.androidcentral.com/critic...vices-few-days

Monthly security patches are the most important updates you'll never get http://www.androidcentral.com/monthl...oull-never-get

At least BlackBerry Priv and Nexus (a very small percentage of Android devices at present) stay up on these regularly.

Fragmentation in the OS remains and is only going to get worse with "N" in the near future.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    03-20-16 12:30 PM
    More sensationalism

Nexus devices to get a mid-month security patch after critical Linux kernel exploit discovered http://www.androidcentral.com/critic...vices-few-days

Monthly security patches are the most important updates you'll never get http://www.androidcentral.com/monthl...oull-never-get

At least BlackBerry Priv and Nexus (a very small percentage of Android devices at present) stay up on these regularly.

Fragmentation in the OS remains and is only going to get worse with "N" in the near future.

That's why I use a Nexus.
    It's also why making generalizations about android are not very useful.
    03-20-16 12:52 PM
    More sensationalism

Nexus devices to get a mid-month security patch after critical Linux kernel exploit discovered Nexus devices to get a mid-month security patch after critical Linux kernel exploit discovered | Android Central

Monthly security patches are the most important updates you'll never get Monthly security patches are the most important updates you'll never get | Android Central

And it is sensationalism - just because it came from Android Central does not mean that they are not above from posting clickbait articles. Crackberry does it as well. Notice that the article you posted did not mention any particular bugs or vulnerability but rather it is ranting about the updates being pushed to oems and oems are not updating their older devices in a timely fashion. Or carriers getting in the way of the updates.

And if you do more research in AC you will notice that majority of their posts will be debunking android malware scare articles that other sites posted. Especially the ones that claims that a billion android users are vulnerable to a malware if they downloaded a malicious app on their rooted android phones.

If you really want to backup your claim - look for articles that specifically cover a successful exploit or attack that effected a significant portion of android users. And not some article about a potential vulnerability that was discovered an antivirus firm.
    03-20-16 01:00 PM
    People are running through the streets screaming.

"My bank account has been drained because I use Android!"

"People are hiding in my bushes spying on me because I use Android!"

"Timmy fell in the well, where's Lassie?"

The fragmentation part is true though. That's why I stick with Nexus devices.
    03-20-16 01:32 PM
    The generalizations are real. Nexus is a very small Android OEM market share that are not sold and neglected by carriers.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    03-20-16 08:24 PM
    And it's a Chinese phone by a company whose CEO is a former Chinese army general. How secure is that?
    Nexus 6 was made by Motorola before Lenovo came on board.
    03-20-16 08:35 PM
    Android is not Linux. Linux is not Android. I have worked with Linux since 1998. In all those years I have only had one security issue with Linux. Android is a different story. However, I cant say I fully trust any smartphone OS including QNX. I feel snooping is part of all the manufacturers nowadays. However stats show that malware and such just keeps increasing every year with droid and that keeps me more on the BlackBerry side.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 10:05 PM
    People are running through the streets screaming.

"My bank account has been drained because I use Android!"

The fragmentation part is true though. That's why I stick with Nexus devices.
    No, they don't because the banks are wise enough not to publicize all the hacks they get for fear of getting people scared.
    They know they can recover the loss by raising fees on everyone.
    "People are hiding in my bushes spying on me because I use Android!"
    At least Google does, to push ads to you.
    Next they'll set AlphaGo on you so that they can make sure you also act on those ads.
    03-21-16 12:15 AM
    It doesn't "affect" 65% of Android devices. That would mean they all have been affected, which they have not. Even "vulnerable" is a stretch.

Yes, Android is open source, which means it is not as tightly wrapped as other os's. It also means it creates innovation through third party devs. Many people on here want to believe that Android is a "mess", but what it is is the leading smartphone OS because of what it can do.
    Innovation has nothing to do with apps. Those are just applications of innovations.
    03-21-16 12:17 AM
    The Nexus is certainly a nice device, but the vulnerabilities in the (libraryof the) mediaserver do exists since end of 2010 (Android 2.2).
    To make it even worse, this library seems to be open source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_%28bug%29

So, even with a Nexus you are carrying this "open source vulnerabilities" with you for about five years, vulnerabilities you cannot turn off (to best of my knowledge) and which are exploitable with drive-by attacks.

But what is really telling and most important is the fact that Google knows about this since April 2015 and they are still fixing and patching.
    To me this looks more and more like "security theater".

From a sarcastic perspective, Google is not committed to Android, only delivering some security theater and the OS is "practically EOL".
    Yes, WhatsApp and Facebook will probably continue to work for years, but critical things like the mediaserver will not be fixed, let alone the vulnerable bloatware on other OEM devices.
    03-21-16 05:08 AM
    No, they don't because the banks are wise enough not to publicize all the hacks they get for fear of getting people scared.
    They know they can recover the loss by raising fees on everyone.

At least Google does, to push ads to you.
    Next they'll set AlphaGo on you so that they can make sure you also act on those ads.

Of course Google pushes ads, everyone knows that. It doesn't affect what I do.
    A common misconception is that they sell your information, which is incorrect.
    They push ads to you based on your information, that's all. Do I like it? No, but it's how some companies make money and it isn't going to change soon.

As far as the banks, I disagree and would like to see some proof please.
    03-21-16 09:46 AM
    There is some data on how much banks lose due to cyber theft.

I dug up some links for you without using Google search.

"Meanwhile remote banking losses jumped by 74% compared to 2014 with 168.8£ being reported"
    That's UK only in 2015.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/lo...110438820.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...bank-raid.html
    03-21-16 08:22 PM
    BB10 probably has vulnerabilities that aren't being patched. The user base is so small nobody knows they exist because nobody is looking for them.

Hackers usually target the system with most users or impact.

I'm no expert on the matter so I could certainly be wrong.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    03-21-16 08:29 PM
    Android is not Linux. Linux is not Android. I have worked with Linux since 1998. In all those years I have only had one security issue with Linux. Android is a different story. However, I cant say I fully trust any smartphone OS including QNX. I feel snooping is part of all the manufacturers nowadays. However stats show that malware and such just keeps increasing every year with droid and that keeps me more on the BlackBerry side.

Posted via CB10
    This may seem like I'm challenging what you say, but I'm not, it's an honest question.

I use Ubuntu exclusively at home. If Linux doesn't have security issues why do I get updates, specifically kemal patches marked as security?

Do they just group all kemal patches under security even though it may actually be a code enhancement?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Last edited by paulbbp; 03-21-16 at 08:59 PM.
    03-21-16 08:36 PM
    Because there are enough volunteers in the opensource community who work for security agencies. They plant some and they fix some. It's a never ending saga.
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-21-16 at 09:14 PM.
    03-21-16 08:45 PM
    This may seem like I'm challenging what you say, but I'm not, it's an honest question.

I use Ubuntu exclusively at home. If Linux doesn't have security issues why do I get updates, specifically kemal patches marked as security?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    From my experience security issues are mostly software related, being server side software the most vulnerable for attacks.. Still you are right, there are kernel security patches and hence "security " risks but categorized like that rather than issues. Linux is really good managing those. To give you an example one of our servers was hacked due to an outdated Apache. To your point, it would be interesting to know how many systems have been breached from such kernel risks. I bet you very minimal.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 09:08 PM
    There is some data on how much banks lose due to cyber theft.

I dug up some links for you without using Google search.

"Meanwhile remote banking losses jumped by 74% compared to 2014 with 168.8£ being reported"
    That's UK only in 2015.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/lo...110438820.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...bank-raid.html
    But what does this mean to a consumer using an Android phone?
    I had someone on here, a while back, say "it's not if you will get your bank account broken into because you use Android, it's when". He guaranteed I would get my personal bank account broken into because I used Android. That's the type of rhetoric I'm talking about.
    03-22-16 06:54 AM
    You could guess 86%...similar to market share?
    03-22-16 09:01 AM
46 12