http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...58818656.html?

Could this be the first step in a new direction for Microsoft AND possibly BlackBerry?

Does this mean MS is altering or abandoning Balmer's W8 vision?

Personally, I would love to see MS buy BlackBerry and create a new Windows desktop OS based of The QNX Neutrino mirco-kernal architecture and push BB10 hard with a wack load of native BB10 MS apps like office suite, RDP and have a BB10 desktop mode that when your BB10 smartphone goes video out via hdmi, it's switches to a Windows Desktop mode. Talk about business friendly.

3-G

Posted via CB10
    angieberry10 likes this.
    08-23-13 01:57 PM
    According to this article, Elop is front runner:
    Microsoft's Best Bet For Next CEO Currently Runs Another Giant Company – ReadWrite

Next, Microsoft buys Nokia.
    craiggger likes this.
    08-23-13 02:00 PM
    Microsoft's Best Bet For Next CEO Currently Runs Another Giant Company � ReadWrite

I see what you mean.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 02:03 PM
    Here's to serious hoping that this marks Windows 9: We're Sorry...going back to basics and what people actually want in a DESKTOP OS.

Find ways to evolve Aero, make it have a grand return as the front line, then start placing R&D into how to revolutionize a desktop OS for the cutting edge modern computing age we now live in.

Slapping Metro on top of a slightly modified Aero didn't cut it. It made Windows worse. Much worse. Actually made it a joke.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-23-13 02:04 PM
    Yes, I think Windows 8.1 means slow death of Metro UI. Although I like it and my wife uses a Windows Phone, I don't think the Metro UI has caught on. Interestingly, HTC Blinkfeed shares similarities with Metro UI's active tiles.
    08-23-13 02:07 PM
    The metro UI works on my 521 but I am not a fan of it on my non touch laptop really
    bekkay likes this.
    08-23-13 02:08 PM
    Another flattering article of Balmer's tenure over Windows Mobile:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...oofinance&_r=0
    08-23-13 02:11 PM
    Yes, I think Windows 8.1 means slow death of Metro UI. Although I like it and my wife uses a Windows Phone, I don't think the Metro UI has caught on. Interestingly, HTC Blinkfeed shares similarities with Metro UI's active tiles.
    I hope you're right and honestly, to be frank, good riddance to all of that.

Microsoft's approach to maintaining relevance was to force something illogical down people's throats.

Well, the gag reflex has finally kicked in...

PS: I like Metro on touch devices. I want it so I don't ever have to see it if I don't want it. Options, options, give us options! Better yet, in addition to an entry in Control Panel, add hardware detection so it defaults to off on a desktop.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-23-13 02:37 PM
    This is the best news MSFT stockholders have had in a very long time imo.
    yellowhammer likes this.
    08-23-13 03:31 PM
    The metro UI works on my 521 but I am not a fan of it on my non touch laptop really
    Exactly. It's a fantastic Mobile UI, it's only a serviceable desktop UI. I wouldn't say Windows 8 hinders my productivity, but it certainly hasn't done anything to help it, and it hasn't actually offered me anything that I would consider an "improved" experience over W7.

Win 8 kind of reminds me when Apple added launchpad to OSX, except that was done right, whereas IMO, MS went the wrong direction with W8. Apple introduced launchpad, which most people hated, but they made it an optional feature. You needed to do something to access it. W8 threw what should have been the optional feature (metro) right in people's faces, and even in Windows 8.1, it is still the default. The should have used the launchpad method of testing the waters first. If it's a success, then make it easier to access or a default. If it's a failure, keep in behind the curtain.

Gonna miss Balmer though, that guy was always so excited about the most mundane things. It was always fun to watch MS press conferences just to see what he was going to do.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-23-13 03:35 PM
    Windows 8 works good on our touchscreen desktop computer. Our kids love using it like that. But I couldn't imagine a non-touchscreen use for it. If I use our desktop computer and need to multitask, I switch to desktop mode. especially when I work all day with Windows 7 and grew up with Windows 95, 98, Vista, XP over the course of 16 years. Real hard to switch. I think MS tried to push something that the market wasn't ready for.

Maybe Thor can apply for the job!
    08-23-13 04:12 PM
    I'm not a fan of it on my touchscreen laptop.
    08-23-13 04:12 PM
    THIS is comedy gold

If Not Elop, Then Who?

If Microsoft again balks at acquiring Nokia, there are a variety of people that would be well-suited for the role of King of Redmond.

Here are four names that could make sense.

Thorsten Heins, CEO of BlackBerry: Heins is doing his best to man the floundering ship that is BlackBerry, but he may just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Heins understands the need to innovate and market in the gadget realm and the services required to make an enticing product portfolio. Instead of buying Nokia, Microsoft could buy BlackBerry and install Heins into the top role.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-23-13 04:31 PM
    Just listened to a talking head on Fox Business. He, and I think most people will agree, MCSFT needs to get into the mobile comuting market in order to remain such a big player. With a change in leadership, and a ton of cash on hand, might they be interested in BB? My guess would be a no, but it could be attractive for several reasons.
    08-23-13 04:53 PM
    Yes, and Heins with his best Mr. Bean impersonation:

THIS is comedy gold
    All kidding aside, personally I think Microsoft covets Nokia's smartphone hardware biz but not the legacy stuff & that mountain of debt.

I can see the synergies between MSFT & BBRY but will Balmer make a move before retirement? Who knows?!
    Attached Thumbnails Microsoft's Balmer stepping down as CEO within a year-thorsten_heins.jpg  
    08-23-13 06:27 PM
    This is the best news MSFT stockholders have had in a very long time imo.
    That's quite the kick in the teeth. You announce you are leaving and your company's share price jumps 10%. Ouch. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 07:46 PM
    That's quite the kick in the teeth. You announce you are leaving and your company's share price jumps 10%. Ouch. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted via CB10
    You gotta love what "getting hit by the door" means to big time CEO's; "In regular early trading, Microsoft shares were up 7% in to $34.68. Since Ballmer owns some 333 million shares, news of his retirement actually boosted his own net worth by about $1 billion. -- Source: The Exchange via Yahoo! Finance"
    08-25-13 06:44 AM
    Computerworld: Ballmer forced out after $900M Surface RT debacle - Computerworld

Steve Ballmer was forced out of his CEO chair by Microsoft's board of directors, who hit the roof when the company took a $900 million write-off to account for an oversupply of the firm's struggling Surface RT tablet, an analyst argued today.

"He was definitely pushed out by the board," said Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy, in an interview Friday. "They either drove him out, or put him in a situation where he felt he had to leave to save face."

The biggest clue that Ballmer was pushed and didn't leave of his own free will was the 12-month timetable Microsoft said it would use to find a CEO successor. "Typically, a board will be working behind the scenes for a replacement, but they've given themselves 12 months," said Moorhead. "I think this went down very quickly."
    Just one analyst's opinion.
    08-25-13 08:19 AM
    Slapping Metro on top of a slightly modified Aero didn't cut it. It made Windows worse. Much worse. Actually made it a joke.
    I agree that two GUIs was not the best idea. Microsoft should have either made Aero more touch friendly or Metro more mouse friendly. (All Metro really needed was the "Close" button, Start button, and maybe a revert back to vertical scrolling.) There really isn't a need to press the "Window" button to switch around GUIs all the time.

People complain about the "ugly tiles"; but, aesthetics aside, the GUIs are close to the same. All consumer GUIs out there are close to the same except GNOME which doesn't use a desktop anymore. Two of the same thing is not useful.
    08-25-13 10:46 AM
    Maybe Ballmer and Heins could switch companies! lol
    Last edited by birdman_38; 08-25-13 at 04:17 PM.
    08-25-13 01:55 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:12 PM
    Microsoft's Best Bet For Next CEO Currently Runs Another Giant Company – ReadWrite

i saw this last year

what use does Microsoft have for BlackBerry when they have already partnered with Nokia on the mobile end. why buy BlackBerry when you can buy Nokias patent portfolio apps and hardware business. buying BlackBerry would be a waste if they just wanted hardware, and BlackBerrys smaller patent portfolio.
    08-26-13 12:20 AM
    i saw this last year

what use does Microsoft have for BlackBerry when they have already partnered with Nokia on the mobile end. why buy BlackBerry when you can buy Nokias patent portfolio apps and hardware business. buying BlackBerry would be a waste if they just wanted hardware, and BlackBerrys smaller patent portfolio.
    Blackberry's enterprise exposure dwarfs nokia's. Nokia is a good hardware company. BlackBerry is a good software company imo. I say buy both.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 07:48 PM
    Nokia is a good hardware company. BlackBerry is a good software company imo. I say buy both.
    They will.
    08-26-13 10:20 PM
    They will.
    I will have to remember that you said it first!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:11 PM
27 12