Google Play
    iTunes Store

I checked, and while the Android version loads on my Q5, it is unable to connect to my Microsoft account. Everyone write a review complaining about this and they may fix it.
    03-27-14 06:01 PM
    yeah didn't work on the Z10 either.
    03-27-14 06:03 PM
    "When it comes to Office 365, the vision if fairly straightforward," said Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella at a press conference in San Francisco today. "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use. Today's announcement marks one more step in that direction."
    Nadella said the goal was to make Office available on any device at any time – well, almost. There are now tools to access Office documents on iPhones and iPads, Android gadgets and Windows 8 kit, but when El Reg asked if Redmond will bother developing for BlackBerry, the answer was a very firm "no," from one of the Office team.
    Another important note:

The apps will allow people to view Office files on their Cupertino fondleslab, but not create new documents or edit existing ones – for that you'll need an Office 365 cloud subscription, starting at $70 a year.
    FINALLY: Microsoft touts Office for iPad – but there's a catch • The Register
    03-27-14 06:30 PM
    Won't lose any sleep over this.

Z10 on Telus
    LoganSix likes this.
    03-27-14 06:33 PM
    Huh. So what value is added here? Does this app offer significant editing options over what most apps like docs to go offer?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:34 PM
    Huh. So what value is added here? Does this app offer significant editing options over what most apps like docs to go offer?

Posted via CB10
    For me, it's the unmatched plethora of Excel functions and functionality plus the file format compatibility with full office.

Anyway, here is a review:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/27/o...r-ipad-review/
    03-27-14 11:30 PM
    People around here keep claiming the iPhone is a toy, yet these are exactly the type of productivity apps they have that Blackberry doesn't.

We're talking MS Office here - which 99% of enterprises uses it... and now everyone can use it for free.

iPhone and Android devices have always offered more productivity tools than BB10 - and now the gap has grew much wider with being available to everyone.
    techvisor and bbq10l like this.
    03-28-14 08:32 AM
    People around here keep claiming the iPhone is a toy, yet these are exactly the type of productivity apps they have that Blackberry doesn't.

We're talking MS Office here - which 99% of enterprises uses it... and now everyone can use it for free.

iPhone and Android devices have always offered more productivity tools than BB10 - and now the gap has grew much wider with being available to everyone.
    You can view documents for free on the tablets but to edit one needs the sub.

I really don't like the sub model since I tend to buy el cheapo Office and use for a million years but I can see why MS is going that route as a business model.

As for people pooh poohing this, almost perfect compatibility of Office documents is an enormous enterprise boon in promoting utility of tablets. I say "almost" because the tablet version does not have all the features of the desktop.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-28-14 09:21 AM
    Does not even install on my XPeria Z Ultra... meh, who cares, Quickoffice, OfficeSuite, Olive Office Premium, DocsToGo etc all work fine. Another train the Ballmerian cluster**** called MSFT missed by years, for good.
    03-28-14 10:22 AM
    I don't sideload Android apps on my device but I am an MS Office fan, so this leads me to wonder; I thought that people who sideload couldn't use certain apps regardless simply because it requires access to Google services that aren't onboard here. Why then would a sideload of Office fail? Either way, it is kind of a shame if you wanted MS's software specifically.

As for BlackBerry, I can say Word To Go anyway has much better functionality than Office Mobile. Oh well.
    03-28-14 03:20 PM

I really don't like the sub model since I tend to buy el cheapo Office and use for a million years but I can see why MS is going that route as a business model.
    Exactly. If you already have an Office 365 sub or don't mind paying for one, then this can be a huge win. But what percentage of users fall into that group? I have to think it's far smaller than the group that wouldn't mind using Office to edit documents but who don't want to pay the subscription cost.
    03-28-14 03:53 PM
    If I did sideload, it would be for this app.
    03-28-14 03:54 PM
    Not sure what my Jolla has that BB10 doesn't but Microsoft Office app works fine on my Jolla. Signed in first time too.
    03-28-14 05:11 PM

As for people pooh poohing this, almost perfect compatibility of Office documents is an enormous enterprise boon in promoting utility of tablets. I say "almost" because the tablet version does not have all the features of the desktop.
    Wouldn't most people just get their licenses from their workplaces? I really don't see where consumers other than students would have much need for Office anyway; it's mainly business software.
    03-28-14 05:48 PM
    I don't think I've ever created a document on my smartphone; mainly viewed. Albeit I own DocsToGo. With that app being available for BlackBerry, do we 'need' Microsoft Office?

Serious question, just asking. Plus isn't it something like a $99 yearly subscription?
    03-28-14 06:06 PM
    I don't think I've ever created a document on my smartphone; mainly viewed. Albeit I own DocsToGo. With that app being available for BlackBerry, do we 'need' Microsoft Office?

Serious question, just asking. Plus isn't it something like a $99 yearly subscription?
    The iPad version requires a subscription to edit documents, but the iPhone version and the Android version are completely free. Microsoft Office for iPhone goes free for home use | iMore

Microsoft Office goes completely free for Android phones [Update: it's live] | Android Central
    anon(153966) likes this.
    03-28-14 06:16 PM
    If you have an alternative like DocsToGo, you don't actually need MS Office. But the alternatives don't always play nice with Office documents. A collaborative editing from multiple devices can sometimes wreak havoc on the documents if you're not careful. Each of the alternatives have different and individual quirks (varying degrees of accuracy with layouts, missing features, etc), which is why everybody has varying opinions as to which office suite is better. I haven't yet played with MS Office on an Android or iOS device, so I really can't weigh in on it's advantages. Though I'd hazard a guess that it probably has the best document compatibility.
    03-28-14 07:03 PM
    Yeah. It's engineered to be the standard. I can tell you that Word on my iPad Air is nothing short of amazing.

I tried Doc2Go on my play book when I had one. The comparison between the two is just about what you would imagine.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Laura Knotek, techvisor and bekkay like this.
    03-28-14 08:04 PM
    If you have an alternative like DocsToGo, you don't actually need MS Office.
    Maybe on a single user basis that is true but on an enterprise front, what is killer about office on the ipad is that it hooks directly into share-point and onedrive pro - Yes microsoft would love as many individual users as possible to pay $70 a year (I actually paid $50 for four years on a deal) but really this is an enterprise play to increase the value of corporate licenses and increase their dominance in the enterprise.

So to give a practical example, I was at a meeting the other day, opened some documents that we needed to change, edited them, closed and job done - no concerns about where the files are, sending them around or well... anything...

Having said that, even in version 1, as a stand alone piece of software, it's on a different planet than the third party knock-offs.
    03-29-14 06:03 AM
    You can definitely see there is nothing half-a55ed about it. Students with University Email addresses will be lapping this up. You can do real-deal academic papers with an iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-29-14 11:09 PM