Sometimes things are coincidence other times it's strategic planning. Microsoft needs RIM to succeed as much as it needs Windows 8 to succeed. These two "new" platforms are out to take the market share. Change consumers into prosumers and lock in new users picking up smartphones everyday. Maybe a March 2013 release date of BB10 isn't so far fetched. Regardless big things in "mobile computing" are actually happening. 2012 has the stage too crowded for everyone wanted to stand, to do so comfortably. Office for iOS and Android means good things for BB10, and the timing couldn't be better. It's as if RIM knows what's going on they are working at "innovations" pace. And real innovation takes time. It will have taken 3 years to bring QNX to a smartphone, but a ground up build takes time, and the BB10 is soooo much more than just a smartphone OS.

The press release also mentions that Office 2013 will be made available to businesses in December, with a consumer launch scheduled for the end of February 2013.
    RIMPIRE FOREVER
    10-10-12 09:46 AM
    I don't get how Office being released on iOS and Android will bode well for BB10.

What exactly does one have to do with the other?
    JeepBB and aniym like this.
    10-10-12 10:00 AM
    So announcing that everyone except BB10 gets Microsoft Office is somehow good news for us?
    Come on....
    JeepBB and aniym like this.
    10-10-12 10:04 AM
    I read and re-read and still cannot see how this bodes well for BB10.
    10-10-12 10:12 AM
    I don't get it ...
    Think office webapps ... think office365 ... then you'll know why I don't get it
    10-10-12 10:17 AM
    Obvious troll is obvious. Please stop feeding them.
    10-10-12 10:33 AM
    I don't get it ...
    Think office webapps ... think office365 ... then you'll know why I don't get it
    Maybe IOS and Android can't run the web apps yet?
    10-10-12 11:05 AM
    I think the OP is saying it's good for BB10 because he believes that customers interested in these apps will wait to make their smartphone purchases until March.

I think though, most iOS and Android people don't care. Android people use Google Apps. iOS people use Apple software like Pages and Numbers. There's are also lots of other apps compatible with Office formats for use in either platform.
    10-10-12 11:37 AM
    Maybe IOS and Android can't run the web apps yet?
    I mean officewebapps AND 365+BB Cloud sercices ...
    10-10-12 11:48 AM
    Microsoft: Information concerning release of Office for iOS and Android is ‘not accurate’

Today on Twitter, Frank Shaw, lead of corporate communications at Microsoft tamped down expectations concerning the potential 2013 release of Office for iOS and Android devices. Here is his tweet in full:

As TNW reported earlier, rumors sparked heavily following reported remarks of a Microsoft official:

Often discussed but never confirmed, Microsoft’s Office suite could become available not only on Apple’s iOS platform but also Android in March 2013, if Microsoft product manager Petr Bobek and a Czech press release from the company are to be believed.

The Office-for-iOS rumor is as old as dirt, sure, but what appeared to be an offical confirmation of a release date was exceptionally noteworthy; taking Office to new platforms would open up new revenue streams or Microsoft, and challenge on Apple on its own turf.

However, for now it seems that Microsoft is working to turn back the blanket, at least in terms of timing. As The Verge was told by a Microsoft spokesperson: “We have said previously Office Mobile will work across Windows Phones, Android phones and iOS.”

Just no telling when, it would seem.

Microsoft Tamps Down Office for iOS Expectations
    10-10-12 04:15 PM
    This has zero relevance to BlackBerry, the original Verge post made no mention of Blackberry... now Verge has added this update;

Update: Microsoft has released the following statement on the matter:
    The information shared by our Czech subsidiary is not accurate. We do not have anything further to share at this time.
    This forum is for existing rumor, not for the purposes of inventing new and false rumors
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-10-12 05:24 PM