I looked around and didn't see this article:
    Microsoft must solve its Nokia, BlackBerry prisoner

Interesting read. Please comment.
    06-24-13 02:52 PM
    Its a very interesting article. Out of all 3 of the parties MS,Nok, BB, Microsoft has the least amount of Mobile experience. Would they just use QNX or? Wow that could get interesting.
    06-24-13 03:45 PM
    Good read. I think he's nailed it. Something has to break and with Microsoft being the elephant in the room. Somebody is going to get trampled or eaten.
    06-24-13 05:13 PM
    I cannot see any value for Microsoft acquiring Blackberry as their business totally overlap. The only reason for buying Blackberry would be to put BB10 to death like they did with Nokia operating systems. QNX and BB10 are in technical terms much better than the Windows kernel and Windows Phone operating system and BB10 is very competitive against Windows Phone and it would really be a loss to the customers if Microsoft killed it.

As I see it, if Microsoft is going to acquire a company it is likely to be Nokia rather than Blackberry. Windows Phone and BB10 cannot merge as they are completely different operating systems and if Microsoft bought blackberry, they would only kill BB10.

I don't agree with the author that Microsoft and Blackberry must become one in order to survive.
    tw_, BBPandy, aniym and 1 others like this.
    06-24-13 05:58 PM
    Seems very unlikely that ms would try to buy blackberry. I think they looked at buying it in the past and decided against it.

Maybe they will buy Nokia who are already integrated with wp

Who would maybe buy blackberry? Sony, or even Huawei

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 06:31 PM
    There's a whole variety of reasons why Microsoft isn't going to buy either BB or NOK. I could see it taking a significant equity stake in either one, but why would they want outright ownership?
    06-24-13 06:47 PM
    I cannot see any value for Microsoft acquiring Blackberry as their business totally overlap. The only reason for buying Blackberry would be to put BB10 to death like they did with Nokia operating systems. QNX and BB10 are in technical terms much better than the Windows kernel and Windows Phone operating system and BB10 is very competitive against Windows Phone and it would really be a loss to the customers if Microsoft killed it.

As I see it, if Microsoft is going to acquire a company it is likely to be Nokia rather than Blackberry. Windows Phone and BB10 cannot merge as they are completely different operating systems and if Microsoft bought blackberry, they would only kill BB10.

I don't agree with the author that Microsoft and Blackberry must become one in order to survive.
    thats what i've been saying, a Microsoft buy out is not likely to happen when Nokia has more patents and a lower stock price. what BBRY has that Microsoft may potencially want is their NOC but sayign that MS already has their own, so why spend all this money on BBRY simply to kill it off. the logic really doesn't make much sense to me. the only company i can possibly see buying out BBRY is IBM and simply only for their services,patents and software, and i would see them killing off the hardware side or selling it.

that said i can't see either company being bought out so lets stop talking about it and feeding more press bs about someone buying the companies
    h20work likes this.
    06-24-13 07:04 PM
    There's a whole variety of reasons why Microsoft isn't going to buy either BB or NOK. I could see it taking a significant equity stake in either one, but why would they want outright ownership?
    I think they want to secure the valuable resources from Nokia. That being the patents and here maps for example. Just the rename from Nokia maps to Here maps is a step in that direction. There have already been at least two attempts from Microsoft trying to buy Nokia but the negotiations broke down for unknown reasons.

The Nokia/Microsoft deal is nothing but a hostile take over right under the nose of a really gullible BOD. It's like if I would rob Fort Knox in daylight using a trolley. Hopefully Blackberry are more realistic, keeps Microsoft at a safe distance and understand the value of ownership and their investments.
    06-24-13 07:48 PM
    Who is this journalist BB have nothing to do with nokia's takeover.Fiction at its finest.1+2=5.I stopped reading at Nokia to buy BB. Nokia are in no position to do **** they need to find direction fast.Foolishly getting involved in an M$ deal.You just signed up for takeover bid hiring Elop. All they had to do was go make android phones.Well at least it will be massive pay day for them.And its bad for the rest of mobile space.Nokia's patents are no joke.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-25-13 at 10:28 AM.
    gord888 and aniym like this.
    06-25-13 06:36 AM
    Does this author know about BB10 Android app support? BlackBerry has effectively defected in this "story" by supporting Android apps. He does make a good point about MS and Nokia though.
    06-25-13 06:47 AM
    MSFT is tied forever to the Windows Everywhere strategy. They have no interest in BlackBerry other than to destroy it. I can't see that getting past the Canadian and US regulators. The points in the article of MS trying to acquire NOK are sensible--if obvious. MS has already dealt with law and courts. They know that is a fool's errand. MS can only build their own phones if they want a guaranteed hardware base for WP8. Or, they could rip Android off of Samsung hardware and put WP8 on it. That would not be technically hard but dealing with Samsung would be a nightmare. Maybe they could do a deal with Lenovo. Only, I think Lenovo would rather use Android to get into the mobile phone market.

I don't know what MS should do. I agree they need a presence in the mobile space but Windows is a bad kernel for mobile devices until battery technology gets a lot better.

Meanwhile, BBRY is rolling along with a slow but steady strategy. They are steadily improving BB10, getting BB10 (QNX) into environments where a high-reliability real time OS makes sense--such as automobiles. They are increasing their presence in the emerging markets and (ever so) slowly ramping up advertising. Finally, recent reports of BES installations are very promising as a pump to keep the cash flowing in. That is an advantage over most of the Android phone makers who make cash with unit sales but that's about it.
    06-25-13 08:03 AM
    The Wall Street Journal (a publication that actually has sources within these companies, unlike G&M where tech 'reporting' means "rephrase stuff we got off the Associated Press/Reuters") is reporting that Steve Ballmer will announce a major restructuring of the company next week. It's assumed that the Windows division will include Windows Phone development, as with WP8, both OSes run on the NT kernel.

Update: Microsoft Restructuring Nears, As Execs Fret Over Their Fate - Kara Swisher - News - AllThingsD

WSJ also reported that MS looked into buying Nokia's handset business, but didn't go through with it because it was too big of a financial risk for them. A BB acquisition or licensing seems even less likely.
    06-25-13 09:44 AM
    Good article. Makes you think. Thanks for posting.
    06-25-13 03:01 PM
    I looked around and didn't see this article:
    Microsoft must solve its Nokia, BlackBerry prisoner

Interesting read. Please comment.
    I think there are natural synergies between Microsoft and BlackBerry, and would like to see them cooperate more on the mobile and server end. I wouldn't want to see Microsoft acquire BlackBerry however.

But the author makes a valid point on trying to break the Android / Apple dominance in the mobile market and that's where I see greater cooperation between Microsoft and BlackBerry paying off. Both are in the server business, I could see them joining up to make their respective server products work better together at the expense of Apple and Google.

BlackBerry, imho, is trying to transition itself to a more software based company just as Microsoft is beginning to move more into hardware. Why not team up to offer a great enterprise based package for both platforms?
    06-25-13 03:57 PM
    The Wall Street Journal (a publication that actually has sources within these companies, unlike G&M where tech 'reporting' means "rephrase stuff we got off the Associated Press/Reuters") is reporting that Steve Ballmer will announce a major restructuring of the company next week. It's assumed that the Windows division will include Windows Phone development, as with WP8, both OSes run on the NT kernel.

Update: Microsoft Restructuring Nears, As Execs Fret Over Their Fate - Kara Swisher - News - AllThingsD

WSJ also reported that MS looked into buying Nokia's handset business, but didn't go through with it because it was too big of a financial risk for them. A BB acquisition or licensing seems even less likely.
    Microsoft is betting the future in the windows platform. Acquiring BB would not help them much, given that they have enough synergy within their own platform already. They can come up with a surface type device easily without owning the BB brand. As a shareholder, I would certainly welcome a full acquisition is the price is over $20 per share.
    06-25-13 04:29 PM
    I think there are natural synergies between Microsoft and BlackBerry, and would like to see them cooperate more on the mobile and server end. I wouldn't want to see Microsoft acquire BlackBerry however.

But the author makes a valid point on trying to break the Android / Apple dominance in the mobile market and that's where I see greater cooperation between Microsoft and BlackBerry paying off. Both are in the server business, I could see them joining up to make their respective server products work better together at the expense of Apple and Google.

BlackBerry, imho, is trying to transition itself to a more software based company just as Microsoft is beginning to move more into hardware. Why not team up to offer a great enterprise based package for both platforms?
    While cooperation between companies isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think any company should keep Microsoft at a safe distance because Microsoft kills everything they can. Any business with Microsoft should be kept at very simple level so that Microsoft cannot legally harm the company.

Also Microsoft has an extremely high corporate nationalism and this means,

Microsoft would never allow QNX to gain market share,
    Microsoft would never allow BB10 UI to compete with Microsoft UI
    Microsoft would try to kill off anything that is made by Blackberry and try to move as much as they can to Redmont.
    Microsoft would infest Blackberry with their own company culture and harm the Blackberry company culture.

a merge would only mean that Microsoft wants to kill of a competitor, it's very expensive but Nokia shows us that Microsoft has no problems doing this despite a high price tag. Nokia us the ultimate proof for my claims above but there has been several other companies in past that has suffered because they were naive.
    06-25-13 04:41 PM
    While cooperation between companies isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think any company should keep Microsoft at a safe distance because Microsoft kills everything they can. Any business with Microsoft should be kept at very simple level so that Microsoft cannot legally harm the company.

Also Microsoft has an extremely high corporate nationalism and this means,

Microsoft would never allow QNX to gain market share,
    Microsoft would never allow BB10 UI to compete with Microsoft UI
    Microsoft would try to kill off anything that is made by Blackberry and try to move as much as they can to Redmont.
    Microsoft would infest Blackberry with their own company culture and harm the Blackberry company culture.

a merge would only mean that Microsoft wants to kill of a competitor, it's very expensive but Nokia shows us that Microsoft has no problems doing this despite a high price tag. Nokia us the ultimate proof for my claims above but there has been several other companies in past that has suffered because they were naive.
    For sure, I was thinking contractual agreements to cooperate in the mobile space and beyond. Kinda like Microsoft's deal with Apple back in the late 90's that Steve Jobs engineered... To be clear, let them remain two separate entities, and never the twain shall meet!

IF that's possible, then I definitely see advantages to them working together.
    06-25-13 04:53 PM
    LOL at Nokia acquiring BB . . .unlikely. . .These players will simply keep "playing" until it gets to the wire. . .
    06-25-13 05:04 PM
    Since this is all conjecture anyway, why couldn't M$ buy BBRY? Quit looking from a fanboi perspective and think of the possibilities:

1. They certainly have the cash.

2. They run WP8 on BBRY devices while merging BBOS10.

3. They'd dominate the secure e-mail market.

4. Mobile Office on a phone with a keyboard would dominate.
    06-25-13 06:22 PM
    I'd rather see BlackBerry and Nokia work together than Windows and Nokia. Think about it. Nokia's awesome cameras working along side bb10. People take a lot of pictures so that would help BlackBerry a lot

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 08:35 PM