Hi,
    According to my carrier, Microsoft Mobile Services for Hotmail accounts linked to a phone using BIS have now been discontinued.

If it's already setup on your phone, it won't be removed seemingly. However, if you add a new Hotmail account, or delete and readd your current account, you won't be able to switch from POP to Microsoft Mobile Services anymore.

POP is a huge step backwards from this protocol. One involves pulling emails, the other involves pushing. With POP, your sent emails don't appear in your sent messages folder either.

Any idea why? This is surely a huge step backwards...

ryguy2008
    06-11-10 05:06 PM
    Could be due to a licensing agreement RIM might have lost with MS. The only reason why RIM is even able to support push email on Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. (the free services out there) is because they at one time reached some kind of agreement with these companies for said services. Some services like GMail have the ability to be set to IMAP or POP and that give BIS the ability to work with those as Push or Pull respectively, but for the others in order to support a Push schenario, RIM had to have special setups with those providers. A change like this would usually be wide across all carriers and not just some, but you are in Canada and there could just me something wacky with their agreements in that Country with a service out of the US. Who knows what RIM's reasoning is for changes lately...
    06-11-10 05:37 PM
    This explains the issues I've been having with one of my @live accounts. It got to the point that I couldn't even send email from it.

Deleted acct from BIS then re-added; Mobile Services Protocol wasn't available however if I used the email setup on the phone it was. As soon as I activated MSP I could no longer send.
    06-11-10 06:00 PM
    Hmm. Well with me, when I try to switch to that protocol after adding a Hotmail email on my phone, I still see the option, but I get a popup "Your device encountered a problem with this application's server. Select OK and repeat the action to trey again." when I try to do it.

However, my primary Hotmail account works fine, and has been on the Mobile Services protocol for a few months now. I will definitely do everything in my power to keep access to it...

(This became apparent after trying to help a friend, with the same carrier, who's Hotmail emails wouldn't send. After many other troubleshooting steps, we deleted the email address, and readded it, and couldn't get it to switch to the Mobile Services protocol anymore...)

It's too bad. It made using Hotmail on a BlackBerry much better.
    06-11-10 06:50 PM
    Same thing here, everything was fine until I got a replacement device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-10 04:19 PM
    If that is the case, I would not fret.

Have your hotmail forwarded to something such as Gmail. Use the gmail application for the blackberry, and you scan send it from your gmail account, but make it look like it was your hotmail account that did it.
    06-12-10 05:57 PM
    Same thing here, everything was fine until I got a replacement device.

You guys needs to get in the habit of creating a BIS account username and password so that when you get a new device, you can migrate the email accounts to the new PIN/MEID rather then setting up the accounts from scratch all over again.
    06-12-10 07:27 PM
    You guys needs to get in the habit of creating a BIS account username and password so that when you get a new device, you can migrate the email accounts to the new PIN/MEID rather then setting up the accounts from scratch all over again.
    Yeah but what about if/when you switch carriers
    06-12-10 07:50 PM
    Yeah but what about if/when you switch carriers
    This doesn't apply to what I said. People botch their BIS migration more when they get handsets replaced then they do when they switch carriers. That being said, RIM should standardize on BIS across all carriers. The accounts reside on RIM's servers anyway, the carriers only use BIS provisioning tools to tie into the RIM servers for activations, nothing more.
    06-13-10 05:42 PM
    Have your hotmail forwarded to something such as Gmail. Use the gmail application for the blackberry, and you scan send it from your gmail account, but make it look like it was your hotmail account that did it.
    Last time I checked hotmail only allowed you to forward to an @hotmail, @live, or @msn address.
    06-13-10 09:15 PM
    Check out this link explains a little more... Anyone with a solution other than forwarding to another email service?

Re: Hotmail Blackberry Sync no longer working for ... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    06-15-10 04:51 PM
    And reading the linked post basically indicates that RIM is to blame for this recent change. What a surprise... I told you guys that NOTHING changes (i.e. broken or not) on a BB service perspective that RIM doesn't have control over. The carriers asked them to make this change and they made it. Nothing out of the norm for RIM to bend over for the carrier when asked...

Oh, btw, let me give you the "good" bad news now. Your precious Blackberry Push Email for Hotmail services (and I'm willing to bet others will follow this as well) has now become 15 minute polling accounts. Enjoy it...
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-15-10 at 05:07 PM.
    06-15-10 05:05 PM
    I just switched to Blackberry, so don't yell at me too much if I sound like an *****. Anywho...

On Sprint, I noticed that logging into BIS settings through the Sprint gateway doesn't give any options. If I log into settings through my phone (Setup ---> Email Settings) then I can change to the "Microsoft Protocol" still. I got scared off when I hit the ? and it said that I could possibly lose the ability to send emails though.
    06-16-10 02:52 PM
    I just switched to Blackberry, so don't yell at me too much if I sound like an *****. Anywho...

On Sprint, I noticed that logging into BIS settings through the Sprint gateway doesn't give any options. If I log into settings through my phone (Setup ---> Email Settings) then I can change to the "Microsoft Protocol" still. I got scared off when I hit the ? and it said that I could possibly lose the ability to send emails though.
    You will get an error, that's the way you could change it before.

06-16-10 03:28 PM
    I think I just found the reason why this stopped working. Looks like MS might have pulled the plug and gave RIM the finger. Hotmail rolling out ActiveSync functionality early? � Boy Genius Report

Looks like MS wanted to have their own AS licensed handsets make better use of this and since they are so big into the new Windows Phone, it might have been a move to take RIM out of the picture for one of their own services. At least it makes logical sense to me for them to have done this on purpose. Looks like everyone is slowly starting to give RIM the boot lately... lol
    06-18-10 10:18 AM
    Dang that sucks. I would be content with 15 minute updates. If I wanted push I would use Gmail. Oh wait I do!
    06-18-10 12:05 PM
    Well, I was upgraded to Hotmail Wave 4 last night. And still, I'm enjoying the grand 1994 technology of POP3. Thanks RIM! Thanks Verizon! Thanks Microsoft! Killing off Microsoft Mobile Services Protocol really served all your customers well.
    07-29-10 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD