Word around here is it could have something to do with RIM.
    06-15-12 12:43 AM
    I'm relatively confident they're simply announcing their first tablet.
    06-15-12 12:45 AM
    I'm relatively confident they're simply announcing their first tablet.
    Yup exactly.
    06-15-12 12:50 AM
    I think it will be the announcement of the first Windows RT tablet.

Microsoft has already run Windows on tablet PCs. That started with XP.

RT, aka Windows on ARM, is new.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-15-12 12:53 AM
    Microsoft going hardware ... again ?
    06-15-12 01:06 AM
    A few years ago I thought Microsoft would rule the world. Boy, they must hate Google and Apple.

Still, I guess they're still in there swinging.
    06-15-12 01:12 AM
    It's probably an ad services-related announcement. E3 just concluded in LA, so I think if there were any tablet announcement, it would have been at some X-box related event.
    06-15-12 01:23 AM
    I wonder what it's about

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    06-15-12 01:48 AM
    Skype for PB/BB10???
    06-15-12 02:02 AM
    It's probably an ad services-related announcement. E3 just concluded in LA, so I think if there were any tablet announcement, it would have been at some X-box related event.
    Not if they are announcing the launch of a serious tablet platform and mobile OS, which they are widely expected to do, with possibly much deeper MS involvement in hardware as well. MS would be insane to piggyback that on some silly side event buried in a trade show.
    06-15-12 02:08 AM
    A few years ago I thought Microsoft would rule the world. Boy, they must hate Google and Apple.

They're still heavily dominating the computer world, that's not a small market (that's an understatement). The Xbox is still a major player in the video game industry as well.
    06-15-12 02:16 AM
    Skype for PB/BB10???
    I wish..... that would be a welcomed announcement.... but I'm willing to bet against it...
    06-15-12 02:19 AM

I bet none of them are too happy about RIM getting into the computer business. They probably didn't care too much about the imbedded markets but now RIMs going into mobile pcs too. Thats where the future is.
    06-15-12 02:58 AM
    I can't see them launching their own tablet because of channel conflict.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    06-15-12 03:05 AM
    I bet none of them are too happy about RIM getting into the computer business. They probably didn't care too much about the imbedded markets but now RIMs going into mobile pcs too. Thats where the future is.
    I can't see them really caring at this point. They are all much more powerful companies than RIM, and have quite a considerable lead. If you don't think they are working on "mobile pcs" as well then you are underestimating them.
    howarmat and kennyliu like this.
    06-15-12 03:27 AM
    You are invited to an exclusive Microsoft media event in Los Angeles, California on Monday, June 18th. Doors open at 3:30 PM.
    This is an invitation only event and you are allowed to register up to one additional guest from your publication. All guests must be registered by replying below.
    Additional information regarding the specific venue, address and parking information will be sent via e-mail to registered attendees on Monday morning, June 18th, no later than 10:00 AM.
    This is a non-transferrable invitation, however, if you would like to send your local colleague in your place, please submit that name and it will be reviewed. If you would like to bring a photographer please register that person as your additional guest. Please note – still photography and video will be limited.
    All attendees must be registered with exact names and done so in advance, no later than Sunday, June 17th at 10:00 AM, Pacific. You will be responsible for securing your travel and lodging.
    Registration will be first come, first served.
    To confirm your registration and to register a guest, please respond to the below e-mail address with name, phone number, e-mail address and outlet affiliation.
    This will be a major Microsoft announcement – you will not want to miss it.
    Main rumors (make your bets here) :
    - Windows RT on ARM processors based devices
    - Takeover of Yammer https://www.yammer.com/
    - Office for Ipad

It's not offering much in the way of hints, but Microsoft has just invited the press to an event in Los Angeles on Monday, June 18th for what it promises will be a "major Microsoft announcement." While it didn't have any more to say than that, the company's Windows Phone summit does follow later that week, and there's been no shortage of Microsoft-related rumors as of late, including a possible acquisition of Yammer (reported today by Bloomberg), and long-running talk of Office for iPad, which was again revived earlier this month. Whatever it is, we'll be there to bring you the news as it happens. Update: Citing "sources outside the company," AllThingsD is reporting that the event will focus on Windows RT for ARM-based tablets, and that Microsoft will be showing off devices running the OS as well as some of the programs and services that will be available for them.Microsoft plans 'major announcement' for Monday, June 18th originally appeared on Engadget on Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:13:00 EDT. Please see our term
    Note that "deviceS running the OS" seems to break the MS Tablet track.
    06-15-12 04:06 AM
    I can't see them really caring at this point. They are all much more powerful companies than RIM, and have quite a considerable lead. If you don't think they are working on "mobile pcs" as well then you are underestimating them.
    Moreover, regardless of what might happen in the future, RIM's entry into mobile computing via the Playbook has been a financial disaster.
    06-15-12 06:05 AM
    Word around here is it could have something to do with RIM.
    I bet you it doesn't. Windows 8 is my guess.
    I don't think Microsoft really cares about the small percentage of PlayBook owners, partly because they are so small and mostly because those people own computers as well.
    06-15-12 06:56 AM
    I don't think Microsoft really cares about the small percentage of PlayBook owners, partly because they are so small and mostly because those people own computers as well.
    [pure speculation] They might be interested by an OEM release of the PB.
    06-15-12 07:52 AM
    [pure speculation] They might be interested by an OEM release of the PB.
    You've lost me - why would they be interested in an OEM release of the PB? Do you simply mean using the hardware for windows 8? If so, they don't need RIM for that.
    06-15-12 08:54 AM
    I'd say Windows 8 tablet. It will be with ASUS or Samsung hardware however as Microsoft isn't in the business of making it's own hardware for where it could license it's own OS.

With Windows 8 Release Preview out, it's time to reshow the tablet...
    the_sleuth likes this.
    06-15-12 09:29 AM
    Microsoft will announce Windows 8 official release date and showcase Windows 8 tablets from Samsung, Acer, Asus, and Nokia. Just my two cents...
    06-15-12 09:40 AM
    The company said additional information, including the specific venue, would be sent to registered attendees on Monday by 10 a.m.
    Microsoft is confused.

The mystery should be about the PRODUCT. Not about the VENUE.
    meltbox360 and Rickroller like this.
    06-15-12 10:44 AM
    WPCentral has confirmed by talking to M$ that it has nothing to do with phones. So I guess that means nothing to worry about RIM.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/barnes...ulation-monday
    06-15-12 03:29 PM
    Moreover, regardless of what might happen in the future, RIM's entry into mobile computing via the Playbook has been a financial disaster.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook was a marketing disaster because Research In Motion failed to market it. If a serious marketing campaign targeting organizations been undertaken the adoption rate of this tablet would have depleted inventory faster than any Apple iPad release. Sadly, the marketing disaster morphed into a financial miscalculation which has haunted the company since April 19, 2011.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-15-12 03:44 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD