Eh, anyone who thinks Cisco is in a position to go into a high risk venture like this (ESPECIALLY so heavily driven by the consumer market, which Cisco completely sucks at) I would take their opinion with a grain of salt...
    They're releasing their OWN 7 inch Android Tablet for business...RIM should have walked in early, partnered up and saved Cisco the pain of developing their own everything and concentrated on enterprise communication apps....except the PlayBook wasn't ready.

AT&T to Unleash the Cisco Cius™ Tablet on the Nation's Fastest Mobile Broadband... -- DALLAS, May 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
    05-12-11 03:12 PM
    That's the opposite end though. Why would RIM want to walk in to save Cisco.... I would never opt in for that job...
    05-12-11 03:19 PM
    True, I think if RIM got involved it would have been to save Cisco from themselves, I just feel like 'The First Professional Grade Tablet' could have cemented a few key partners and business native apps upon release.
    05-12-11 04:26 PM
    If m$ buys rim, I'll be like... LAMOI! Just sayin'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 08:37 PM
    if microsoft did buy RIM the playbook could have a lot more potential, imo anyway. i wish i had $48 billion in cash never mind assets.
    05-13-11 04:23 PM
    if microsoft did buy RIM the playbook could have a lot more potential, imo anyway. i wish i had $48 billion in cash never mind assets.
    If it has more potential, running windows will slow it down after a few weeks/months of use in general. Sticking with qnx/linux is allot better. Compare the speed to windows, it won't even be fast

05-13-11 04:25 PM
    doesn't have to run windows but they could get silverlight support for netflix or more compatibility for websites that only decide to work on IE for some reason, and stuff like that.
    05-13-11 05:18 PM
    There's no reason M$ would have to actually buy RIM though just to get silverlight support...

And the IE support would only be better if they basically used IE, which, blech....
    tumer likes this.
    05-13-11 05:47 PM
    doesn't have to run windows but they could get silverlight support for netflix or more compatibility for websites that only decide to work on IE for some reason, and stuff like that.
    If Microsoft got their hands on it it WILL run Windows in one form or another. When Microsoft bought Danger the first thing they did was transfer the Sidekicks to Windows Server.
    05-14-11 12:05 AM
    If Microsoft got their hands on it it WILL run Windows in one form or another. When Microsoft bought Danger the first thing they did was transfer the Sidekicks to Windows Server.
    I would not want to see a bloated operating system with security issues that get updates delayed for months or weeks. Nor will I want something that slows down, requiring a reinstall, after 2-6 months of casual to regular use.

That will screw it up for open source software operating systems.

05-14-11 12:09 AM
    I hope they just keep working together instead of Microsoft buying them. Not that I expect RIM to be thinking of selling right now. Pretty sure it was just some idea someone thought up and now it has a lot of people talking.

05-14-11 01:02 AM
    The main difference between RIM and Palm is that RIM's hardware is decent.
    Well, that and the fact that unlike Palm who was bleeding cash, RIM is actually making record profits. Doesn't sound very similar to me
    05-14-11 01:07 AM
    I think RIM will stop the hardware business all together and become a services only company in the next 5 years.
    They will focus on providing Enterprise/Security based services/solutions to iOS, WP7 and Android and succeed in that market.
    05-16-11 05:33 PM
    Rumor mill now has Nokia selling its phone manufacturing business to Microsoft. Think that they wouldn't buy both RIM and Nokia and we know that Nokia is already promising WinMo7 phones.
    05-16-11 08:25 PM
    These "so and so could buy RIM" threads are so lame.

In order to buy a public company you would have to get whoever owns the controlling stake to sell their shares to you. Let's say Jim and Mike own 51% of the outstanding RIM shares but they don't plan on selling. How the **** is anyone going to make them sell? The most anyone could get is a 49% stake in the company.

Share price isn't the only factor.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-17-11 09:07 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD