Xbox? I thought Xbox is one of their more profitable divisions. For a couple of decades now Microsoft has been seen as being "uncool". The Xbox is the one thing people thought was cool.
    Actually, Xbox loses them money... Last I checked, i mean.
    07-18-14 04:18 AM
    hope they do team up with BBRY and let BBRY drive!!!!
    Microsoft rejected Android, I don't think they'll want to partner up with BlackBerry, not in the current state.

It's a shame, really. A BlackBerry device with a native documents editor made by the very company that creates Microsoft Office? That'd be totally rad

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    m1kr0 likes this.
    07-18-14 05:07 AM
    Nokia was the only real hardware producer of WP phones and MS could n't afford to lose its only toe hold in the mobile hardware space. I suspect Nokia's introduction of a Android phone last year set off alarm bells in Redmond Wasington. Ergo, the buyout.

The basic problem with MS is that it is struggling to transform itself from a desktop application to a mobile applications company. This is no easy feat and I suspect MS will continue to struggle with the transition by throwing cash around when necessary.

While I think there are natural syneries between BlackBerry and MS, I don't see any sort of partnership on the horizon. Unfortunately, MS suffers from the same problem that a lot of big American companies suffer from, that being arrogance. They think everything they do is right and this just sucks the energy out of the innovation engine. MS needs to learn a hard lesson before they can do anything creative or collaborative in the mobile space.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 07:18 AM
    I really hope that MS will continue to drive WP ship into the iceberg. Mister Nadella firmly grabbed steering wheel.
    07-18-14 07:38 AM
    The bout of layouts that are happening is just a sign of things to come, we are heading into another recession, possibly a depression. Sears Canada laid of most of its workforce in Canada and the USA and are closing many of their stores. They have already re-out sourced their help desk operations to India and China.
    07-18-14 03:23 PM
    The bout of layouts that are happening is just a sign of things to come, we are heading into another recession, possibly a depression. Sears Canada laid of most of its workforce in Canada and the USA and are closing many of their stores. They have already re-out sourced their help desk operations to India and China.
    Quite perhaps but with the advent of online shopping Sears and many Big Box retailers have been having a rough time. Why carry large overheads when sales aren't good. Amazon and the likes have changed the way a lot do their shopping. All the major banks as well a carriers etc have outsourced their call centers, credit department as well, which have made things tough in North America. Just like large Corporations who continue to do their banking "offshore" to avoid tax liabilities. They outsource to India and China because of lower wages, which helps increase their bottom line at the expense of local economies in North America.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-14 04:01 PM

Big box brick and mortar stores are not as appealing to customers as shopping online, mainly from Amazon.com. Sears might've done better had it converted its old catalog sales to online sales.

I haven't bothered going inside a Sears store in over a year.
    07-18-14 04:03 PM
    I really hope that MS will continue to drive WP ship into the iceberg. Mister Nadella firmly grabbed steering wheel.
    Why?
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    07-18-14 11:34 PM
    Couldn't have said it any better! I honestly can picture the following going off in newsrooms around the world:

*red lights flashing/sirens start screeching inside the news HQ*

Reporter: Sir, we have just received word a smartphone maker is laying off 18,000 employees!
    Editor: Everyone! Man your stations! You know what to do! "Troubled smartphone maker BlackBerry" "Stock downturn in 2008" "Chen lacks vision". Go! Go! Go!
    Reporter: WAIT! Hold on, sir. No...this can't be right...it says here...that it's...Microsoft?!
    *sirens and lights cease*
    Editor: ......oh....uh....pfff...well, this is new....alright...you three over there, start writing up a piece entitled "Microsoft wisely trims budget", you two there, work on an op/ed piece called "Stocks surely to soar for Microsoft". God speed, people.

Annnnnd scene!
    I can actually see this is most likely how things really are. It's a shame.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    07-19-14 12:44 AM
    Here in Toronto the Microsoft layoff news was well publicized. It was actually annoying that it took up as much air time as the pour souls being shot down by a heat seeking missile.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    07-19-14 12:57 AM
    Actually, Xbox loses them money... Last I checked, i mean.
    Yeah, I haven't looked, but judging how my Xbox One has just sat dormant for five months, I doubt it's doing well? Could be wrong, but I'm not sure how they can compete with such a small library of quality games?

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    07-19-14 01:02 AM
    Why?
    Because WP is direct competitor to BBRY. That's why I'm hoping MS will be stupid enough to kill Nokia brand and to go with Lumia or some other BS. WP has progressed only because Nokia brand name and Nokia team pushing it. Locking remaining Nokia guys into MS fortress, under numerous layers of MS organizational structure will kill any remaining creativity. I remember from last year Nokia's frustration with slowness of MS WP team.
    07-19-14 06:02 AM
    I like to see Microsoft loading BlackBerry 10 and sell them to their cooperate clients. Especially the financial industry. Anyway it is good to have another powerful ally and adding to our existence list

#BBFactCheck
    07-19-14 06:19 AM
    Because WP is direct competitor to BBRY. That's why I'm hoping MS will be stupid enough to kill Nokia brand and to go with Lumia or some other BS. WP has progressed only because Nokia brand name and Nokia team pushing it. Locking remaining Nokia guys into MS fortress, under numerous layers of MS organizational structure will kill any remaining creativity. I remember from last year Nokia's frustration with slowness of MS WP team.

That's why I thought...that's just immature...you're hoping Windows Phone will fail JUST so BlackBerry can find some wiggle room. I'm a Windows Phone guy now, but I'm not hoping BlackBerry will fail just so Microsoft doesn't have to deal with them.

I also don't think killing off Nokia will kill Windows Phone. Only them going Android will.
    JeepBB, Moonbase0ne and blackmoe like this.
    07-19-14 07:43 AM
64 123