I hear the new ceo of Microsoft wants take Microsoft back to its origins. Back to software and services. Sounds to me they know they won't be able to complete with apple and Google finally which puts BlackBerry in a better position. BlackBerry can sell more cheap phones which given time will take back some market share from Microsoft while still focusing on software and services.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    07-12-14 02:37 PM
    I hear the new ceo of Microsoft wants take Microsoft back to its origins. Back to software and services. Sounds to me they know they won't be able to complete with apple and Google finally which puts BlackBerry in a better position. BlackBerry can sell more cheap phones which given time will take back some market share from Microsoft while still focusing on software and services.

You hear wrong. CEO says "productivity and platforms" and this has nothing with "back to its origins".
    Read carefully here: Satya Nadella's email to employees: Bold ambition and our core
    senel, propeller10 and JeepBB like this.
    07-12-14 03:33 PM
    Mobile first :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 04:06 PM
    I think we're going to see a renewed effort in the mobile space from MSFT.
    07-12-14 04:16 PM
    Sounds to me they know they won't be able to complete with apple and Google finally which puts BlackBerry in a better position.
    Nadella clearly stated he was putting a renewed effort in mobile and wanted Microsoft to become a "mobile and cloud" company. Mobile software is not an area that Microsoft will give up.

Between Blackberry and Microsoft, Blackberry is in less of a position to compete and Blackberry is making real concessions to its mobile strategy with the Amazon App Store unlike Microsoft, which has made no such concessions.

It is safe to predict that Windows Phone will likely maintain a lead over BB10 in the foreseeable future.

P.S. The "software" part was that Microsoft was going to put less emphasis on XBox, Surface, etc. It is difficult to imagine how it will focus less on hardware with its Nokia hardware division acquisition, though, as well as the divisions heavy ties to Windows Phone/mobile which Nadella has stated he intends to renew efforts in.
    propeller10 and JeepBB like this.
    07-12-14 05:06 PM
    I believe Microsoft had intentions of buying rim in 2010/2011, and rim sat back waiting for them to move in. MS changed their mind, at some point, due to price, arrogance or whatever. And rim was left, on their own, scrambling to put something together. MS must of felt they could do it alone. It's just a guess but in retrospect, MS and rim would have had more impact together then they have apart. Rather then fighting for 3rd place, they could have worked together to make a run for the top of enterprise and possibly the heap. Something went wrong somewhere and now they're both flailing in the wind.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 09:15 PM
    Between Blackberry and Microsoft, Blackberry is in less of a position to compete and Blackberry is making real concessions to its mobile strategy with the Amazon App Store unlike Microsoft, which has made no such concessions.
    Not yet. But there are rumors that Microsoft is building Android compatibility into Windows Phone. If true then they are throwing in the towel as well in my opinion.
    07-12-14 09:22 PM
    Not yet. But there are rumors that Microsoft is building Android compatibility into Windows Phone. If true then they are throwing in the towel as well in my opinion.
    Apple is going to be the only operator not dependent upon Google if this happens, and that's a scary world to live in. I hope your wrong.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-12-14 09:41 PM

When do you think BlackBerry is going to start selling cheap phones? (at least ones they don't have to write off)

The future is mobile... Microsoft isn't giving up.

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-12-14 10:22 PM
    So there going back to basic compilers ?
    07-12-14 11:19 PM
    BlackBerry can sell more cheap phones
    I don't think they sell any reasonably cheap phone.
    mornhavon, MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    07-13-14 01:48 AM
    Apple is going to be the only operator not dependent upon Google if this happens, and that's a scary world to live in. I hope your wrong.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    There is an article on The Verge about it (Google "windows phone android apps" to find it). There are no specifics, but the rumor is Android app compatibility in Windows Phone and Windows. Paul Thurrott had mentioned on Windows Weekly that forking of Android like Amazon did is another option -- to produce Lumia branded Android compatible phones. Match the top end Lumia hardware with Android -- to get all the apps to work.

So then if it comes to pass you'll see a replay of the BlackBerry scenario. And you'll see Microsoft retreat to enterprise only (except xBox which could be sold or spun off), as BlackBerry has more or less done. Even though MS would deny that is the case (as BlackBerry does depending on context).

Microsoft knows all too well the reality of platform dominance. And the fact that in the end, when it comes to trendy consumer software and even business apps, developers like there to be a narrow choice of platforms to support so long as the environments meet all their needs.

I find it quite sad that advertising and selling off our personal data will be the basis for how we pay for computing needs going forward. I'd rather pay a software license like with Windows PCs and be left alone. Oh well. Surely it won't be all Android. There will always be at least one alternative I would think. Apple appears to be it.
    Last edited by southlander; 07-13-14 at 01:09 PM.
    07-13-14 12:51 PM
    What happened to MS converging code base between windows rt or mobile and full windows. Wouldn't this give them a ton of apps and entice people to write apps for them?...
    07-13-14 08:12 PM
    What happened to MS converging code base between windows rt or mobile and full windows. Wouldn't this give them a ton of apps and entice people to write apps for them?...
    The kernel is already common. I think the tools are pretty much able to build applications that work on phones and Windows PCs, etc. But it might just be too late. Android is too entrenched. And free. Of course Windows phone is free. Now. But once Android covers all the bases what can Windows phone bring to the table that folks care deeply about?? It's the same issue BlackBerry has had.
    07-14-14 12:46 AM
    The kernel is already common. I think the tools are pretty much able to build applications that work on phones and Windows PCs, etc. But it might just be too late. Android is too entrenched. And free. Of course Windows phone is free. Now. But once Android covers all the bases what can Windows phone bring to the table that folks care deeply about?? It's the same issue BlackBerry has had.
    Compatibility with their laptop or desktop..... Microsoft Office.

Sure MSO is available on other Platforms, but a couple of tablets and phones have it "included". I know that a Windows tablet will be my next tech purchase..... and my Z10 will need replacement a few months after that.
    07-14-14 07:55 AM
    Compatibility with their laptop or desktop..... Microsoft Office.

Sure MSO is available on other Platforms, but a couple of tablets and phones have it "included". I know that a Windows tablet will be my next tech purchase..... and my Z10 will need replacement a few months after that.
    Again just an enterprise play really. The average consumer does not need Office.

Moreover, I'd wager that many start ups now simply use Google Docs/Apps. Free or paid. And certainly a lot of small businesses do.

Again MS finds itself in a very BlackBerry-esque situation with Office as well. BlackBerry talks about "regulated industries". Ones that are required to have all the security and logging and auditing, by law.

Similarly the businesses that are locked to Office are governments, large corporations, etc.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-14-14 04:59 PM
    When do you think BlackBerry is going to start selling cheap phones? (at least ones they don't have to write off)
    They've written off Z3s? :-) Sounds like they have a new strategy there that seems to be showing more signs of life than the TH strategy.

The future is mobile... Microsoft isn't giving up.
    They can't. I don't know how many people realize how dependent Microsoft (the company) is on Windows and Office to survive and how those business units fund or subsidize many of their other business units. If something eats into their lucrative Windows sales (cough, tablets not running Windows replacing laptops running windows), then Microsoft is vulnerable for the first time in decades.

They'll lose money on mobile for the next several years to make it succeed because they have to.
    07-15-14 06:19 AM
    If Microsoft becomes dependent on Android like BlackBerry has, that will push me back to the iPhone. Or back to feature phones. That's how much I want to avoid anything associated with Android.
    Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    07-15-14 07:12 AM