Microsoft talks up Windows Phone success | Mobile World Live

"outselling the iPhone in seven markets, and is beating BlackBerry in 26"
    how many markets are there in total around the world ?
    03-07-13 07:04 AM
    Isn't BlackBerry in around 170 different markets or something like that?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 07:27 AM
    Probaly outselling in America and some other European countries.
    03-07-13 07:27 AM
    Microsoft talks up Windows Phone success | Mobile World Live

"outselling the iPhone in seven markets, and is beating BlackBerry in 26"
    how many markets are there in total around the world ?
    I still have only seen 1 windows phone in Canada. It was last fall. An older dude standing at a bus stop near a Microsoft office in Ottawa. Probably an employee. I don't know anybody even interested in the platform.

I have already seen dozens of z10.

Posted via CB10
    ESCON and sugbo like this.
    03-07-13 07:50 AM
    A friend of mind at work has the windows 8 and yesterday he ask me if could play with my z10 I said sur. This morning he text me telling me he is going rogers canada to pick up z10 what windows 8
    03-07-13 07:59 AM
    The only Windows Phone I have seen being used by someone is by a guy I know who works for Microsoft.
    sugbo and willhugforlove like this.
    03-07-13 08:03 AM
    I have already seen dozens of z10.
    Anecdotal, but I've had the opposite experience with the z10. So far I've only come across 1 Z10 in the wild - and I've been paying attention to the phones people are using (more than I should probably) . I take the GO train to Toronto for work - and between all the people I see on the train and the hoards of people working downtown - it's a large sample size. Very surprised that I've only seen 1 so far.
    schmeat likes this.
    03-07-13 08:06 AM
    Only windows phone I have ever seen someone use was the 610 that a friend has and that person could care less if they were using a flip phone .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.
    03-07-13 08:13 AM
    The problem with a split product such as BB now has - between legacy and new - is that competitors can honestly claim things like "beating BB in 26 markets". What they're not necessarily mentioning is that they're beating sales of the legacy product line that hasn't had a significant update in well ever a year...
    craiggger likes this.
    03-07-13 09:13 AM
    The problem with a split product such as BB now has - between legacy and new - is that competitors can honestly claim things like "beating BB in 26 markets". What they're not necessarily mentioning is that they're beating sales of the legacy product line that hasn't had a significant update in well ever a year...
    Agreed and no harm that Microsoft continue to knock Apple and Android (The 'A' team) as they have had their day and run the course, it's time for BlackBerry ('B' team) to step in and take the baton to the next milestone.
    03-07-13 10:03 AM
    Interesting. I've only seen one Z10 in the wild here in Montreal. No WP's though.
    03-07-13 10:33 AM
    keep in mind... "BlackBerry" is not "BlackBerry" ...

BlackBerry phones pre 2013 is something totally different... than 2013 BlackBerry 10 phones

I guess MS is also outselling Siemens phones in most markets?
    and outselling SonyEricsson phones?

When looking at sales of NEW phones in a market - cannot compare tomatoes and blackberries
    03-07-13 11:32 AM
    What? Legacy BBs will probably make up a chunk of BBRY sales for a LONG time unless BB10 is a smash success and BBRY can convince all its old users to upgrade. We know this won't happen already bevause a lot of Blackberry users are in developing countries that won't pay $600 for a BB10 device. This is akin to Windows Mobile.

It'd actually be UNFAIR if Microsoft didn't factor in BB OS7 sales because any expectation BB10 will smash through the door and immediately take the bulk of either revenue or sales of BBRY is overly optimistic. It will take at least a year if not a few.

I don't expect the US to increase BB10 sales significantly. BB10 has already reeled out in all its strongest markets and even an extremely strong American launch is unlikely to increase current BB10 sales volume by 50%. (This is conservative speculation based on a drastic rise in current Blackberry sales in the US.) Firthermore, BB10 will eventually cool down from its launch sales in early launch markets.

I'm not saying that BBRY moving 1 to 2 million BB10 sales a month will make it a failure. As a matter of fact, it could even be considered a turnaround for the company depending on the number. I am simply pointing out that it is a realistic expectation that Windows Phone will have surpassed Blackberry in a couple markets and retain this lead in those markets for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-07-13 at 12:12 PM.
    03-07-13 11:58 AM
    I think the "outselling BlackBerry" comment is in regards to bb10 sales, which makes sense since they've been in the market for 3 months or so prior to BlackBerry.

I find it very hard to believe that windows 8 devices are outselling bbos devices in any market...maybe the states and Canada? I don't think anyone is buying the bold 9900 anymore in these mature markets.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 01:22 PM
    I think the "outselling BlackBerry" comment is in regards to bb10 sales, which makes sense since they've been in the market for 3 months or so prior to BlackBerry.

I find it very hard to believe that windows 8 devices are outselling bbos devices in any market...maybe the states and Canada? I don't think anyone is buying the bold 9900 anymore in these mature markets.
    I'm not sure what to think, except from the fact that all these reports are cleverly made to put one in front of the other one. No one really cares about the "facts" when they produce reports...

In the end - it does not really matter who is biggest or smallest, as long as the companies are healthy, stability for their workers, and enough happy users to make the wheels turn, a good developer environment to ensure enough return for them to keep their businesses alive and happy as well. And if the company on top of that show some care and love for communities and social responsibility - that is a very good added bonus.

If we all needed just one brand - why do there exist so many different car makers?
    Or perhaps washing machines are better example - Very few factories world wide actually produce them, - but hundreds of brands and versions are made...
    03-07-13 01:56 PM
    I never seen a Windows 8 phone. If I did I'd probably yell at it and threaten it with my speer.
    drjay868 likes this.
    03-07-13 03:57 PM
    Honestly, I can't speak to Microsoft's numbers except for limited market data and anecdotal date. Like anything with numbers, they can be spun.

It's entirely possible that Microsoft sold more new Windows Phones to smartphone buyer in the US and other countries. than BlackBerry did old BlackBerry phones to smartphone buyers in the recent quarter. Given the combo of Windows Phone 8 launching and BlackBerry 10 moving to January, it's quite likely. However, I'd also bet that many of those countries still have much larger bases of BlackBerry users. ComScore latest survey says that BlackBerry still has almost twice as many users in the US as Windows Phone, even after 2 years of BlackBerry churn in its toughest market.

Also, Windows is probably getting a boost in countries where Nokia is strong. Still, I'd love for Ballmer to put his money where his mouth is and answer one little question:

"How many active Windows Phone users are there globally right now?"

In another thread, I pegged it at around 18.3 million but that was a loose extrapolation based upon Nokia's reporting and a second report that pegged the WP marketshare by vendor

Vendor Units Sold Markshare
    Nokia 14,300,000 78.00%
    HTC 2,566,667 14.00%
    Samsung 1,100,000 6.00%
    Other 366,667 2.00%
    Total 18,333,333 100.00%

I've asked some Windows Phone fans for an answer on this a few times but have never gotten one. I suspect it's because no one outside of Microsoft really knows.
    03-07-13 10:11 PM
    I was thinking the same thing. But then again if thats all they have, is the ability to confuse people. They are in worse shape then I could have dreamed.
    03-07-13 11:30 PM
    Considering that BB10 is not even out in 26 markets WorldWide as of today. MS is talking about BBos IMO. Well done MS, the reverse of that is that BBos is out selling WP8 in 149 + markets
    I believe the trajectory is set, BB10 is rocketing into a solid 3rd place on its own! with 2nd in sight and a 1 to 2 year time frame.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-08-13 at 12:24 AM.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    03-07-13 11:39 PM
    Have not seen anyone in public with a WP8. Also haven't seen anyone with a Z10.

Top 3 phones I see are Androids, iPhones and BlackBerrys (non BB10).

Sorry Microsoft, no one likes your phones.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    03-08-13 12:18 AM
    Sorry Microsoft, no one likes your phones.
    Because you haven't seen one, no one likes them? :-)

My GF's dad loves his.

I've now seen more Z10s in the wild than Windows Phone. I think I saw one WP at an airport in Toronto, one at an airport in Seattle and my GFs dad. Now up to about six Z10s or so. All in west Toronto
    03-08-13 05:42 AM
    As mentioned all too often, I have yet to see a windows phone in London. i don't know who buys these?
    03-08-13 05:55 AM
    I've only seen 1 z10 out and about. I've seen a few windows phones but can't say if they were wp8

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 06:08 AM
    Don't think I have read less information than what I read in the article the OP linked to. Leading in a few markets indeed. Which ones? Are they markets that have any importance? Are they markets in which BB is a significant player? At least we have a pretty good notion that the Z10 is doing well in the markets where it has been launched. WP8 has been out for quite a while now and I would have expected that if the phone was a success, it would be leading BB in a lot more markets by now.

The sheer size of the mobile market probably means it will take some time for the Z10 to make a dent in the "sightings in the wild" reports. I see maybe a dozen or two phones a day and they run the gamut from the best smartphone to legacy (including BB OS types) to plain vanilla cell phones. Before I start noticing Z10 phones regularly will mean that units held by consumers must get past 5 or 10% of the total market. It may take a few months of sales for that level of presence to be seen.

I do think MS is in trouble having been very slow to adapt to the new market reality. It stuck with the PC world when the rest of the world was going mobile and got left behind in the dust. Could MS be the next Kodak? MS has tons of cash and time to turn things around, but they are going to have to do a lot better than they have so far to adapt to the new reality.
    03-08-13 06:25 AM
    Honestly, I can't speak to Microsoft's numbers except for limited market data and anecdotal date. Like anything with numbers, they can be spun.

It's entirely possible that Microsoft sold more new Windows Phones to smartphone buyer in the US and other countries. than BlackBerry did old BlackBerry phones to smartphone buyers in the recent quarter. Given the combo of Windows Phone 8 launching and BlackBerry 10 moving to January, it's quite likely. However, I'd also bet that many of those countries still have much larger bases of BlackBerry users. ComScore latest survey says that BlackBerry still has almost twice as many users in the US as Windows Phone, even after 2 years of BlackBerry churn in its toughest market.

Also, Windows is probably getting a boost in countries where Nokia is strong. Still, I'd love for Ballmer to put his money where his mouth is and answer one little question:

"How many active Windows Phone users are there globally right now?"

In another thread, I pegged it at around 18.3 million but that was a loose extrapolation based upon Nokia's reporting and a second report that pegged the WP marketshare by vendor

Vendor Units Sold Markshare
    Nokia 14,300,000 78.00%
    HTC 2,566,667 14.00%
    Samsung 1,100,000 6.00%
    Other 366,667 2.00%
    Total 18,333,333 100.00%

I've asked some Windows Phone fans for an answer on this a few times but have never gotten one. I suspect it's because no one outside of Microsoft really knows.
    Also, doesn't ComScore leave out all enterprise users?
    03-08-13 06:34 AM