I got around to having a look at microSD cards over the last couple of days. Here's what I have found out.

I already had a 1Gb and 2Gb microSD cards. I purchased 4Gb and 8Gb Sandisk microSDHC cards. One came with a microSD to USB adapter.
    - microSD cards go up to 2Gb
    - microSDHC cards are above 2Gb and are designated a High Capacity

To work with HC cards a device must be compatible. Just becasuse a device has a micdoSD slot does not guarantee that it will work with an HC card.

I had two microSD to SD card adapters and 3 SD card readers. None of these adapters worked with the HC cards. ONly the new microSDHC USB adapter allowed my PCs to read/write he 4 and 8Gb cards. It worked with all cards.

If you wish to use a mocroDSHC card in your PC you need the compatible adapter. That is for sure.

I also called SanDisk support and asked what the difference was but they just said, 'Well, they are bigger.' Thanks guys.

I did a web search and not even on the Home - SD Card Association could I find a written specification.

Class explanation:
    The SDHC card is compliant with the SD speed class rating specification created by the SD association which introduced a new speed classification according to the application:

Class 2 : >=2MB/s TV recording / DVD/ standard DC
    Class 4 : >=4MB/s Mpeg2 (HDTV)/ DC with continuous shooting opti
    Class 6 : >=6MB/s Reflex DC and professional DC - on continuous shooting
    * Do take note that Class 2 SDHC Card is generally cheaper than Class 4 SDHC due to the speed difference.

The specification for microSD cards may be found here microSDHC (High-Capacity) - SD Association

The Blackberry never exceeds the Class 2 spec so putting in a higher (and more expensive) Class rating serves no purpose.

EDIT: Whilst Class 2 devices do everything that a BlackBerry can do, a recent post points out that using a Clacc 4 or even Class 6 card will allow it to do so faster. So if speed is your game, pay a little bit extra for a higher Class rating.

For reference here's the few helpful links I found. One is wikipedia so be careful what you read into their 'facts'.
    eBay Guides - What is SDHC Card What's the difference with normal SD
    Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Explained - Editing#
    About SDHC - SD Card Association

My two BlackBerrys (8310 and 8100) took all the cards but would only format the 8Gb card to 4Gb under OS 4.2.2. which is correct so I took the formatted card and plugged it into my C and copied the folder structure to a new folder and re-formatted the card in Windows using FAT32. I then copied the folder structure back. The phone reported a 7.6Gb card but would not allow more than a bit over 4Gb of data to be written when the phone was in Mass Media Mode.

I took the card out of the phone and copied a load more stuff (up to 6.5Gb) onto the card while plugged into the USB port. The copy completed and when placed back in the Blackberry I was able to see the files using Media, Menu, Explore. I was not able to view or play the movies (I know they worked on the BlackBerry) that were copied to the card above 4Gb even though I can see them.

A 4Gb card works just fine.

One last thing. Avoid buying Sandisk products that are sold as BULK PACKAGING because SanDisk does not honor its warranty with these products. If you buy one of these then your only warranty is with the entity you purchased it from.

SanDisk retail products always come with the usual SanDisk logo allover the packaging whilst the Bulk stuff has not Sandisk packaging at all.

Just for reference here's the currently supported card sizes for the various OSs. I stole the original table below from someone else's post. I forgot who but thanks anyway.

Edit: Link to BlackBerry's Media Card FAQ and their table of miscroSDHC sizes per OS
    Supported microSD media card sizes

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

EDIT: Here's some pictures of various microSD and microSDHC cards and adapters.

The cards that come with adapters greatly help data transfer should you ever need to plug your card directly into your PC. The little red and back thing to the right of the card is a USB adapter. Very useful.

For those of you who are a little daunted when faced with fitting a Media Card in your phone, here's a CrackBerry link that will lead you through the process step by step Lecture 6: How to Install a Media Card into your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-26-08 at 02:48 PM.
    06-27-08 11:30 AM
    Oops. Wrong Link.

Please disregard my last post. I thought it was a micro, but it wasn't. Sorry !!!
    Last edited by KBattle; 06-29-08 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Wrong Link
    06-27-08 01:33 PM
    The link sends you too a SanDisk SD card not the MicroSD? I tryed to search around on the site and could not find the 8GB SanDisk MicroSD. Could you repost the link?
    06-28-08 05:47 AM
    I really hope you didn't accidentally waste your money on cards you THOUGHT were micro

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 06:33 AM
    No, thanks, I knew exactly what I was buying. The whole idea of my post was to find out at JeffH's request what the difference between the various types of microDD cards were and what cards worked under which conditions.

I serached the internet looking for the full technical specification to no avail. As you can see from my post, I even checked the Home - SD Card Association site who, I would have thought, would have had at least a summary of the spec.

I already had a 1Gb and 2Gb cards so I only had to buy a 4 and 8Gb cards for my mini-test.

I hope that you find the results useful and that they will dispel any amibuities when you wish to purchase.
    06-28-08 06:43 AM
    Pete: one exception to the capacities chart (the only one I know of): the current Verizon 4.2.2.196 OS supports up to 8GB cards, assuming your device can handle -HC.

Thanks again for investing in the hardware and posting the research for everybody's benefit...
    06-28-08 11:15 AM
    One last thing. Avoid buying Sandisk products that are sold as BULK PACKAGING because SanDisk does not honor its warranty with these products. If you buy one of these then your only warranty is with the entity you purchased it from.
    I disagree. Bulk package memory cards work just fine...they all come off the same assembly line as the retail packaged ones. I'm not gonna pay $5 extra per card just to get a fancy blister pack that is a PITA to open. I'll take my chances with the bulk packaged ones, thank you.
    06-28-08 03:19 PM
    No, thanks, I knew exactly what I was buying. The whole idea of my post was to find out at JeffH's request what the difference between the various types of microDD cards were and what cards worked under which conditions.

I serached the internet looking for the full technical specification to no avail. As you can see from my post, I even checked the Home - SD Card Association site who, I would have thought, would have had at least a summary of the spec.

I already had a 1Gb and 2Gb cards so I only had to buy a 4 and 8Gb cards for my mini-test.

I hope that you find the results useful and that they will dispel any amibuities when you wish to purchase.
    I meant kbattle dude, his link for the "$24" sd card wasn't a MICRO
    06-28-08 03:57 PM
    Good stuff Pete.

@KBattle... Too bad I'm not a rebate kind of guy or I'd jump all over it. I just won a 4gb sdhc for 19.89 on eBay. I should have gotten two. I don't even use that much. The iPhone's 16gb will be enough.
    06-28-08 06:01 PM
    I just received an 8gb Sandisk MicroSDHC from an ebay auction. Paid $31 plus $10 s/h for the card in an OEM blister pack. It included the Sandisk USB reader as well.

It works great in my 8330. It will be a while before I need more memory. It reads as 7.6gb.
    06-30-08 09:50 PM
    I have a curious issue that I've mentioned.before. When I install an 8gb card in my 8330 (OS 4.3.0.127), my. Berry slows to a crawl. With a 4gb card, the BB "feels" about like it does with a 1gb card, quick and snappy. Add the 8gb, and it's stuck in molassis land again.

I've tried putting the 8gb in and giving it time to read the card and "normalize". No change. Still unacceptably slow.

Ideas? Maybe 4.5 is required to allow good performance with the 8gb card? Maybe my BB is the only one (well, one of the few) that has this problem?
    06-30-08 10:05 PM
    i have the 8gb which is like 7.6 after formatting... i have 4.5 beta on my curve and it works wonderful as of right now... no slowing down or anything
    06-30-08 10:13 PM
    I disagree. Bulk package memory cards work just fine...they all come off the same assembly line as the retail packaged ones. I'm not gonna pay $5 extra per card just to get a fancy blister pack that is a PITA to open. I'll take my chances with the bulk packaged ones, thank you.
    He didn't say they did not work just fine...
    06-30-08 10:32 PM
    When i doubt, wikipedia
    It just explains HC as an extension to the standard tho.
    07-01-08 10:52 AM
    Just got a scandisk microsdhc 4gb today and its working perfectly on my 8120. $30.00 special in Best Buy, this week only.
    Last edited by newyorksoldier; 07-01-08 at 02:07 PM.
    des23 likes this.
    07-01-08 01:53 PM
    I was pointing out that SanDisk do not offer their warranty or returns on bulk products. For me this is enough to steer clear of them. I guess that is why they charge an extra $5 - you ar ebuying SanDisk's warranty should there ever be a problem.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-01-08 at 02:09 PM.
    07-01-08 02:01 PM
    Pete: one exception to the capacities chart (the only one I know of): the current Verizon 4.2.2.196 OS supports up to 8GB cards, assuming your device can handle -HC.

Thanks again for investing in the hardware and posting the research for everybody's benefit...
    Thanks Jeff. I will update my little table in my OP.
    07-01-08 02:03 PM
    As cheap as they are vs the shipping cost of returning to the manufacturer, I would not be concerned about manufacturer warranty.
    for a device like this, they typically either work basically forever, or fail right away. that leaves the option of returning it to the store as doa for a replacement if it fails immediately, or upgrading to one twice the size for the cost of return shipping if it fails later down the road.
    07-01-08 02:06 PM
    When i doubt, wikipedia
    It just explains HC as an extension to the standard tho.
    You are correct. SC is an extension to the standard but it is a non-compatible with older versions type extension. I put the same link in my post.
    07-01-08 02:07 PM
    Just out of curiousity is there something that needs to be down once the card is stuck into the phone? or once it is placed in the phone everything is fine? i keep reading posts about "once the phone reads the card" or "once the card is installed" is there something that needs to be done on media manager? Thanks. GREAT POST
    07-02-08 02:54 PM
    You have to enable the card.
    Options/Media Card Support: On.
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto enable Mass Storage Mode when connected: Prompt.

It's also a good idea to format the card before you use it. Most cards come formatted already, which means they may also be preloaded with malware.
    07-02-08 03:09 PM
    Oh Pete, you are so helpful.
    07-02-08 03:32 PM
    Gosh, blush. Thank you, Miss.
    07-02-08 03:38 PM
    No problem at all.
    07-02-08 04:28 PM
    You have to enable the card.
    Options/Media Card Support: On.
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto enable Mass Storage Mode when connected: Prompt.

It's also a good idea to format the card before you use it. Most cards come formatted already, which means they may also be preloaded with malware.
    Malware on a BlackBerry???
    07-02-08 06:19 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD