I just wanted to post that for my 8120 from T-Mobile I am using a 8GB microSDHC from Kingston:

Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: MBLY/8GB

Good deal with the adapters it comes with. I am running OS 4.3.0.115.

The ONLY thing I have noticed from a class 2 card and a class 4 card is the slight improvement in speed at the computer level. But to me it isn't such a big thing shaving a few seconds off transfers to dish out extra money!

Thanks for the post Pete and JeffH!
    10-22-08 09:08 PM
    i picked up 2 4 gig sdhc (1 for the misses) at walmart for $19.99 ea. everyday low price - no sale!
    10-23-08 03:31 AM
    I just purchased an 8GB microSDHC Class 6 for my (soon to be) new BOLD. It was the cheapest Class 6 8GB I could find (Kingston doesnt even make one that I could tell). Just thought I would pass along the info... $27.99 shipped

A-DATA 8GB MicroSDHC Class 6 with SD and MiniSD Card Adapter
    10-23-08 03:53 PM
    I've been using an 8gb card in my 8130 (4.3.0.65) for almost year now with no problems.....as per the prev posts its actually 7.6 formatted. But its nvr slowed down tho!
    10-24-08 01:01 PM
    My PC does not see my New 8Gb when its in my 8320, Why?
    My last one it only seen it after I reformatted it now it see it but its only a 4Gb chip?
    10-26-08 12:05 PM
    Which Operating System are you rinnung? 8Gb is only usable on your phone when you run OS 4.5.

Try re-seating the card in its holder. Sometimes this helps.
    10-26-08 03:00 PM
    I walked into a Circuit City store today and picked up an 8 G Sandisk card with adapter for $39.99 on sale.
    Sweet!

The store is in West Palm Beach,Florida.
    10-26-08 05:12 PM
    My Sandsk 16BG microSDHC would only read 14.8GB in both pc and bb after reformatting and reinserting (it was brand new when I first run it). Seems a lot of unusable space if compared to the 7.6GB formatted space for 8GB cards

Not that I will need all the gigs (my previous 8GB was more than enough for my use), I'm just wondering if anybody else experience the same thing.
    11-15-08 01:07 PM
    I only paid 25.99 for my 8GB Micro SDHC and 14.99 for my 4GB Micro SDHC on eBay and shipping was free. I got two one for normal use, 8GB and the 4GB for videos and pictures I download. the Pearl 8130 handles SDHC fine so anything with 4.3 or better handles atleast 8GB SDHC. both even came with usd adapters so the home computer can read them too.
    Last edited by luvitlo; 11-15-08 at 05:41 PM.
    11-15-08 05:38 PM
    My Sandsk 16BG microSDHC would only read 14.8GB in both pc and bb after reformatting and reinserting (it was brand new when I first run it). Seems a lot of unusable space if compared to the 7.6GB formatted space for 8GB cards

Not that I will need all the gigs (my previous 8GB was more than enough for my use), I'm just wondering if anybody else experience the same thing.
    14.8Gb does sound low. I am wondering if there is not a greater overhead imposed by FAT32 under the larger disk size. I found this Microsft article about the FAT32 format https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=WYDoBbiY.

It would be useful is other members post the formatted-in-the-phone with no data Media Card sizes for 16Gb cards as they are able.
    11-16-08 04:18 AM
    14.8Gb does sound low. I am wondering if there is not a greater overhead imposed by FAT32 under the larger disk size. I found this Microsft article about the FAT32 format Microsoft Corporation.

It would be useful is other members post the formatted-in-the-phone with no data Media Card sizes for 16Gb cards as they are able.
    Thanks for your reply Pete. I will be needing awhile to read the article in the link you posted for 2 reasons, too techy and english is 2nd language here But I'll definitely make time to read it. I'm simply curious, and yes, would like to see other members' experiences with 16GB cards. Anyone?
    11-17-08 02:46 AM

I asked another poster and he also has 14.8gb shown for his SanDisk 16gb card. Same thing goes with another friend of mine who's not a member here. Guess it must be the factory setting then tho I'm not sure for what reason.
    11-19-08 01:50 PM
    Looks like 14.8Gb is the benchmark number then. Thank you for your research and posting.
    11-20-08 03:29 AM
    Ok, maybe I am thick headed but can I get some clarifications on "adapters?"

I know there are adapters that make the microsd cards fit into a mini or regular SD slot. So let's forget about those.

I am talking about adapters that let my PC running Windows XP read and write to an 8GB MicroSDHC card. I see adds for readers that say they handle all types of cards. But do they allow my PC to write to the SDHC type cards?

Also, if there is an 8GB MicroSDHC card in my Curve, will my PC see it if I just hook up the USB cable the way it is now or do I have to hook the USB cable also through an adapter?

Finally, can someone recommend some specific adapters, not just brand names?

Many, many thanks.
    11-28-08 09:18 AM
    Adapters for microSD and micrSDHC seem to be different. Earlier models seem to only support up to 2Gb so you need to make sure that whatever you but is clearly stamped as beinf compatible with whatever size adapert you plan on buying in the future for forward compatability.

My one came with my card from Sandisk and this is compatible with 16Gb cards.

I think that the best way is to simply look carefully at whatever is on sale.
    11-30-08 06:42 AM
    I found this link on the SanDisk site Answer. Here's the text.

SanDisk memory cards read/write speed change
    Question
    Why do some Extreme III and IV cards have different read and write speed, also, what is the difference between SDCFX3-4096 and SDCFX3-004G.

Answer
    SanDisk has recently increased the speed of the Ultra II, Extreme III, and Extreme IV memory cards.

Old Speed
    New Speed
    Ultra II
    10MB/s
    15MB/s
    Extreme III
    20MB/s
    30MB/s
    Extreme IV
    40MB/s
    45MB/s

The following is a sample list of cards that have had a speed bump and what the new product code will look like compared to the old product number. The only change will be the capacity portion of the code.

Ultra II SDHC cards

Old Product Number
    New Product Number
    SDSDRH-4096 (10MB/s)
    SDSDRH-004G (15MB/s)
    SDSDRH-8192 (10MB/s)
    SDSDRH-008G (15MB/s)

Extreme III SDHC cards

Old Product Number
    New Product Number
    SDSDX3-4096 (20MB/s)
    SDSDX3-004G (30MB/s)
    SDSDX3-8192 (20MB/s)
    SDSDX3-008G (30MB/s)

Ultra II CompactFlash cards

Old Product Number
    New Product Number
    SDCFH-4096 (10MB/s)
    SDCFH-004G (15MB/s)
    SDCFH-8192 (10MB/s)
    SDCFH-008G (15MB/s)

Extreme III CompactFlash cards

Old Product Number
    New Product Number
    SDCFX3-4096 (20MB/s)
    SDCFX3-004G (30MB/s)
    SDCFX3-8192 (20MB/s)
    SDCFX3-008G (30MB/s)
    SDCFX3-16384 (20MB/s)
    SDCFX3-016G (30MB/s)
    11-30-08 06:50 AM
    Her's a link to a pdf that talks about the formatted size of SanDisk cards and why they are smaller than the size printed on the card http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/Catego...disclaimer.pdf.

Symptoms:
    Why is the capacity of my Secure Digital memory card (as reported by many operating systems)
    different than the capacity that is listed on its label?
    Affects: Description:
    Sandisk products: Secure Digital
    Operating systems: All Microsoft
    Hardware platform: All PCs, Jornadas, etc.
    Cause:
    The operating system, when reading the size of the card, reports a slightly different capacity than what is
    listed on the card�s label. SD has a small overhead for the security features.
    Solution:
    Definitions of a Megabyte:
    1) Operating Systems commonly define a Megabyte (MB) as: 2 to the 20th power (1,024KB--Kilobytes).
    2) DiskDrive and Flash Memory Card Manufacturers commonly define a MB as one million bytes (exactly
    1,000,000 bytes).
    Unformatted (Capacity)
    Also known as drive byte capacity before formatting. The Maximum capacity of disk drive before formatting
    equals
    [ (# Cylinders) X (# Heads) X (# Sectors) X (# Bytes per Track) ]
    Example:
    64MB CompactFlash Card consists of:
    490 Cylinders
    8 Heads
    32 Sectors
    512 Bytes per Track
    This equates to: [ (490) X (8) X (32) X (512) ] = 64,225,280
    Unformatted Capacity: 64,225,280 bytes
    Formatted Capacity: 63,934,464 bytes (User Data)
    Cause:
    Disk Drive Companies such as SanDisk define 1 MEGABYTE as 1,000,000 BYTES. Operating Systems
    define 1 MEGABYTE as 1,048,576 BYTES (1024K X 1024K or 2 to the 20th power).
    Example:
    SanDisk 64MB CompactFlash Card being read by Microsoft Operating System.
    SanDisk Total Formatted Capacity divided by 1 MB (as defined by the Operating System) equates to the
    following: 63,934,464 BYTES / 1,048,576 BYTES = 60,972,656 BYTES, 60.9MB displayed by OS.
    Security overhead
    SD-8
    "The total card capacity of 8 million bytes is divided into a security area and a user accessible area (of
    approximately 6.7 million bytes)."
    SD-16
    "The total card capacity of 16 million bytes is divided into a security area and a user accessible area (of
    approximately 14.6 million bytes)."
    SD-32
    "The total card capacity of 32.1 million bytes is divided into a security area and a user accessible area (of
    approximately 30.5 million bytes)."
    SD-64
    "The total card capacity of 64.2 million bytes is divided into a security area and a user accessible area (of
    approximately 62.3 million bytes)."
    SD-128
    "The total card capacity of 128.4 million bytes is divided into a security area and a user accessible area (of
    approximately 125.8 million bytes)."
    11-30-08 06:53 AM
    I believe I have it in the bb correctly however I do not ge the pop up that says the card is detected. I go to options to find media card and attempt to format it but it says format failed.. what do I do? I am really very new at all this. Sorry if it sounds repetitive. I am just a little frustrated right now.
    12-01-08 09:25 PM
    First off, have a look at this link Lecture 6: How to Install a Media Card into your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com as it may help you resolve the problem.

Next, if you have an adapter to connect the card to your PC, try this and see if you can read/write/format the card in the PC.

Try another Media Card in your phone and your card in another phone. Most phone stores will help you out if you ask nicely.
    12-02-08 01:54 PM
    Just bought a 16gb card off eBay for my BlackBerry 8320! Looking forward to getting it in the mail and plopping my albums on there! w00t!

Question: Quickest way to transfer to it? I heard that not only is using a card reader better than just hooking the whole BlackBerry up to the PC, but I heard using a naked card reader (specifically designed for micro cards) is better than using one with an adapter! Is that true?

One last question: What's the best specification for formatting these cards?
    Last edited by PhrostByte; 12-08-08 at 12:11 AM.
    12-07-08 10:53 PM
    Thank you pete6. Your information was fantastic. Just loaded my 8gb without any issues.
    12-09-08 01:22 PM
    where do you put the micro sd cards in a blackberry?
    12-13-08 06:02 PM
    never mind.
    12-13-08 06:07 PM
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm sure it has but I was unable to find it. I'm waiting on a new 8gb microSD to arrive for my 8310. It currently has a 2gb. I'm replacing it because it fills up when adding maps for TrekBuddy. I have a trip to Peru coming up in 2 weeks and a half gig of maps. The old 2gig isn't going to cut it, but I'm selling that to my neighbor for 10 bucks... sweet!

I think I know the answer but thought I would ask anyway. When my new 8 gig does finally arrive can I:

1) Remove the old chip from my BB
    2) Put the old chip in my computer
    3) Copy everything from the old chip to my hard drive
    4) Put the new chip in my computer
    5) Copy the stuff from my hard drive to the new chip
    6) Put the new chip in my BB
    7) go have a beer confident that everything got transferred correctly

Is this all that is necessary or is there a better way?
    12-18-08 10:27 AM
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm sure it has but I was unable to find it. I'm waiting on a new 8gb microSD to arrive for my 8310. It currently has a 2gb. I'm replacing it because it fills up when adding maps for TrekBuddy. I have a trip to Peru coming up in 2 weeks and a half gig of maps. The old 2gig isn't going to cut it, but I'm selling that to my neighbor for 10 bucks... sweet!

I think I know the answer but thought I would ask anyway. When my new 8 gig does finally arrive can I:

1) Remove the old chip from my BB
    2) Put the old chip in my computer
    3) Copy everything from the old chip to my hard drive
    4) Put the new chip in my computer
    5) Copy the stuff from my hard drive to the new chip
    6) Put the new chip in my BB
    7) go have a beer confident that everything got transferred correctly

Is this all that is necessary or is there a better way?
    and the answer to all your questions is YES.

What you propose wil work just fine. MAke a folder on your PC to contain the files from the 2Gb card and then use Explorer to drag the files from the 2Gb card to the folder. Put the new card in your phone and format it there. Now put this card into the PC and drag the files to the new card. Done.
    12-18-08 11:02 AM
137 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD