Yet another conspiracy theory?
    They're just trying to distract the citizens from the fact that the Illuminati are running world events using alien technology kept at area 51.
    08-09-12 04:19 PM
    08-09-12 04:20 PM
    Most of the bickering on the other thread was due to allegations of an American legal/media conspiracy working in tandem to bring RIMM down. The source of much of those allegations was taken to task by the mods for those statements. Now that the legal process has run its course more, I wonder if that person will relax his conspiracy theories.
    Not likely. You don't see any retraction of the doom and gloom death spiral stories that showed up after the jury's decision that negatively affected the stock. The facts don't matter, damage has already occurred.

What will really be interesting will be the paid tech blogger disclosure that will come from the Apple-Samsung trial. You can bet a number of the bloggers that show up on that list will be the same ones predicting RIM's downfall.
    Just so I can keep score. Does the anti-RIMM conspiracy still involve the American legal system or is it just the media now? Because you used to say it was both but now that the jury verdict was overturned, I wonder if you've changed your tune.
    08-09-12 04:24 PM
    Abuse of the American legal system amounts to the same thing. The patent system as it currently stands stifles innovation rather than encouraging it.

Considering the recent admissions by certain bloggers that a pay-for-praise system does exist and tech corporations are paying 'tech consultants' to bad mouth the competition, its not a conspiracy anymore. It's an industry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-09-12 05:01 PM
    I stand corrected on that aspect. But the rest remains valid.
    And MFormation can appeal his decision.
    Partially Correct & Partially Incorrect... U.S. District Chief Judge James Ware also granted RIM's motion seeking a new trial if a higher court overturns his ruling. This means that the jury award cannot be reinstated should Mformation successfully appeal the new ruling. Furthermore: "The court finds that there was no 'legally sufficient evidentiary basis' on which a reasonable jury could have found for Mformation on the issue of infringement."

So it was a faux infringement claim according to Judge Ware.

U.S. District Court, Northern District of California is Mformation Technologies Inc vs. Research in Motion Ltd et al., 5:08-cv-04990
    08-09-12 05:15 PM
    Abuse of the American legal system amounts to the same thing. The patent system as it currently stands stifles innovation rather than encouraging it.

Considering the recent admissions by certain bloggers that a pay-for-praise system does exist and tech corporations are paying 'tech consultants' to bad mouth the competition, its not a conspiracy anymore. It's an industry.

You are all over the place here. The American patent system is ridiculous as it relates to software design but that doesn't amount to a conspiracy to bring a particular company down.

Then you somehow make a magical leap from patent suits to bloggers as your proof that there is an overarching conspiracy between the justice system and the media. You missed a step along the way, somewhere. Perhaps it's with your pills?
    08-09-12 06:08 PM
    Perhaps you could think for yourself for a while rather than wasting my time having me explain things to you?

The American Patent system relies on the legal system to enforce rulings. Abuse of one amounts to abuse of the other.

And do you seriously think that the pay-for-praise system only applies to tech bloggers when corporations like Google and Apple already have deep ties to the American mainstream media?

Seriously. Think for yourself and stop wasting my time.

08-09-12 06:21 PM
    Sorry, I've thought about it and I still can't see how you made the leap from:
    1) Patent trolls abuse the legal system
    1a) This is bad for RIM, the public, and the industry in general
    2) Paid bloggers are paid to push a particular company line
    2a) This is bad for RIM, the public, and the industry in general.
    Conclusion: Therefore the American legal system is also involved in a conspiracy against RIM.

Just because the end result is the same does not mean the motive behind the two are the same, or that there is a conspiracy against a particular company. You have declared there is and used the fact that certain technology giants are known to have engaged bloggers to win over the public as proof.

These are not connected events.
    chr1sny likes this.
    08-09-12 06:33 PM
    Wasn't even an appeal. The judge overturned the jury's decision.
    The judge overturned the jury's decision following RIM's post-trial motion for judgment as a matter of law, as stated in the first paragraph of the story. Again, if it were as obvious as you suggest, no motion would be necessary. A judge can set aside even a jury verdict if that judge feels that verdict is not supported by the evidence. In fact, a judge can even end a trial at the conclusion of a plaintiff's case if the defendant so moves and the judge feels the relief demanded by Plaintiff is not sustained by the evidence.
    Last edited by Wiki Cydia; 08-09-12 at 06:43 PM.
    08-09-12 06:36 PM
    I'm going to apply for a patent for this new invention called the wheal (tm). It's round and there are usually two of them are connected by a load bearing axel.

Now that my patent has been granted, I'm only going to sue electric car manufacturers, ignoring the prior art that has existed for thousands of years, drag their company names through the mud, painting them as patent infringers who've been stealing my ideas for years, even though they think my invention is damned obvious and everyone is already using them in some form.

That is what Mformations patent and subsequent lawsuit sounds like to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

08-09-12 06:56 PM
    That's an excellent idea, as when your patent application is turned down, it will prove, once and for all, that the system is stacked against the little guy. And Canadian technology companies. Or maybe not.

Oh boy..
    08-09-12 07:01 PM
    I'm going to apply for a patent for this new invention called the wheal (tm). It's round and there are usually two of them are connected by a load bearing axel.

Now that my patent has been granted, I'm only going to sue electric car manufacturers, ignoring the prior art that has existed for thousands of years, drag their company names through the mud, painting them as patent infringers who've been stealing my ideas for years, even though they think my invention is damned obvious and everyone is already using them in some form.

That is what Mformations patent and subsequent lawsuit sounds like to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

The problem with this analogy is that the case you describe would never make it to trial under those facts. Yes, the hypothetical you offer sounds as ridiculous as you intended it to sound, but it's also ridiculous to suggest that the case you describe would require a post-trial judgment to set aside an erroneous verdict.
    chr1sny likes this.
    08-09-12 07:13 PM
    You would have to define 'common sense' it sounds like it is only common to... you.

P.S. First thing I tell my students: Those who believe in common sense have none and prove it does not exist.
    08-09-12 09:24 PM
    Such a simple world we would live in if you could just take everything at face value. Such a simple world some people do live in.
    08-09-12 09:32 PM
    The Xbox 360, the Wii, the PS3, the PSP, Android and Apple phones and tablets, etc...

These aren't common devices? They all make use of wireless connections to provide device updates.

The only reason RIM was targeted is they compete directly with Mformation. But only in the corporate marketspace. Mformation doesn't compete with RIM in government marketspace because what they (and their patent) consider acceptable security isn't acceptable to those agencies.

08-09-12 10:10 PM
    What you need to do is spice up the language though. It's not just round, it's a fulcrum device with an axle that is generally arranged so the the pieces are coaxial and invariant under 1 degree of motion. Prior art could be an actual wheel, but to make it a new invention, you just need to say it is used to facilitate movement of a device that also implements a wireless technology such as wifi or bluetooth. That is how the US patent system works.
    08-10-12 09:07 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD