This is some good news for the stock. Along with the Samsung rumor, we may see another bump up tomorrow.

I'm glad to see that a judge is lookkng past the jurys bias.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    sf49ers likes this.
    08-09-12 01:55 AM
    Here is a link: http://www.stockhouse.com/News/Canad...aspx?n=8585382
    RIM

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-12 01:58 AM
    what was the patent about?
    08-09-12 02:10 AM
    it's about time and the tide is about to turn..
    08-09-12 02:12 AM
    For RIM $147m was going to be a huge dent in their cost saving efforts.
    This is a great outcome for them.
    08-09-12 04:18 AM
    Thankfully, the judge displayed some common sense, even if the jury didn't have any.
    08-09-12 07:52 AM
    So no more ranting about the corrupt anti-Canadian American judicial system?
    Or just not because of this ruling...
    08-09-12 08:07 AM
    The jury made the decision of 8 dollars per device, the judge overturned. The patent was obviously too general as anyone with an ounce of sense would have seen.

But the jury of American peers still decided in favor of Mnformation. No ounce of sense there.
    08-09-12 08:11 AM
    Well, I am glad that the American judicial system has not let you down again.
    08-09-12 08:18 AM
    Doesn't change the fact that it's being abused and the media is sensationalizing it.
    08-09-12 08:48 AM
    Just wondering where are all those "regulars" who were thumping their chests saying that RIM must have been wrong? Any of you guys want to weigh in on this post?
    08-09-12 08:54 AM
    The jury made the decision of 8 dollars per device, the judge overturned. The patent was obviously too general as anyone with an ounce of sense would have seen.

But the jury of American peers still decided in favor of Mnformation. No ounce of sense there.
    If it were as obvious as you seem to believe, the judge could have immediately set it aside. He/she need not have waited for a post-trial motion.
    08-09-12 09:15 AM
    If it were as obvious as you seem to believe, the judge could have immediately set it aside. He/she need not have waited for a post-trial motion.
    If it wasn't as obvious as I "seem to believe", it wouldn't have been overturned.

There was prior art for the patent. It covered OTA updates and remote management of devices. There would be more companies than just RIM that would have been found to be infringing.
    08-09-12 09:23 AM
    I am actually astounded at the petty comments back and forth about this. Judgement was made in the first case, RIM appealed as everyone suspected they would, and they won on the appeal. This is a big plus for RIM as ~$150 million would hurt them quite a bit right now. Since its severely unlikely that anyone on this site was even tangentially related to the cases, why cant we just leave it at that?
    08-09-12 09:33 AM
    Wasn't even an appeal. The judge overturned the jury's decision.
    08-09-12 09:36 AM
    I'm not sure how the trial works, but I suspect the judge needs to go through the motions of the trial to collect each side's evidence. Since the trial is effectively complete, it's probably normal for the judge to allow the jury to render a verdict. The judge's life is probably easier if he can accept a jury verdict instead of quashing the case right after the evidence phase. I doubt anyone here knows what the actual rules are, but I can't imagine the judge would throw out the case before hearing evidence -- patent law is not *THAT* simple.
    08-09-12 09:47 AM
    Or maybe:

�There was no legally sufficient evidentiary basis� for the jury�s findings, U.S. District Chief Judge James Ware wrote in an opinion yesterday

It was the Jury not the Judge that likely just came to a decision based on little to nothing. I suppose they can't be totally faulted, what could they know about patent law anyways?

Anyways, a good outcome for RIM. Put that $$$ to good use!
    08-09-12 09:56 AM
    I stand corrected on that aspect. But the rest remains valid.
    08-09-12 10:20 AM
    And MFormation can appeal his decision.
    08-09-12 10:50 AM
    I am actually astounded at the petty comments back and forth about this. Judgement was made in the first case, RIM appealed as everyone suspected they would, and they won on the appeal. This is a big plus for RIM as ~$150 million would hurt them quite a bit right now. Since its severely unlikely that anyone on this site was even tangentially related to the cases, why cant we just leave it at that?
    wrong, the final jundgement was not made until the Judge overturned the Jury verdict made earlier and made the case in RIM's favor..that also means RIM didn't appeal and everything so far has been a normal judicial process. If it all someone is going to appeal now it is going to be Mformation and not RIM
    Last edited by sf49ers; 08-09-12 at 11:04 AM.
    08-09-12 10:59 AM
    And MFormation can appeal his decision.
    Of course, it's their right to do so, just like RIM who exercised theirs.

But even if they do, I believe all they can get is a retrial. In which case, will have to go through the system again which could take years.

If Mformation Patent is willing to forgo the time and lawyer fees then have at it. BB10 will be out long before it's even finished and the "doom and gloom" constructed by the media around this issue will be irrelevant.
    08-09-12 11:04 AM
    Considering Apple spends somewhere in the range of 100 million just to market the iPhone each year, RIM just kept enough cash to go above and beyond that number.
    08-09-12 11:23 AM
    Most of the bickering on the other thread was due to allegations of an American legal/media conspiracy working in tandem to bring RIMM down. The source of much of those allegations was taken to task by the mods for those statements. Now that the legal process has run its course more, I wonder if that person will relax his conspiracy theories.
    08-09-12 02:56 PM
    Most of the bickering on the other thread was due to allegations of an American legal/media conspiracy working in tandem to bring RIMM down. The source of much of those allegations was taken to task by the mods for those statements. Now that the legal process has run its course more, I wonder if that person will relax his conspiracy theories.
    Not likely. You don't see any retraction of the doom and gloom death spiral stories that showed up after the jury's decision that negatively affected the stock. The facts don't matter, damage has already occurred.

What will really be interesting will be the paid tech blogger disclosure that will come from the Apple-Samsung trial. You can bet a number of the bloggers that show up on that list will be the same ones predicting RIM's downfall.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 08-09-12 at 04:10 PM.
    08-09-12 04:05 PM
    Yet another conspiracy theory?
    08-09-12 04:13 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD