Am I using my text message allotment when I use Blackberry Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger? What about when I PIN someone? I have unlimited data but a set amount of text so Im just trying to see how Im using everything.
    07-20-08 08:52 PM
    only sms and mms are considered texting. When you use any of the messenger services you are not charged for text.
    07-20-08 08:54 PM
    All 3 programs use Data, so you are fine.
    07-20-08 08:54 PM
    All 3 programs use Data, so you are fine.
    Correct. Welcome to CB.
    07-20-08 08:55 PM
    all data all the time
    07-20-08 08:56 PM
    only sms and mms are considered texting. When you use any of the messenger services you are not charged for text.
    Not quite correct. OZ Messenger, which allows one to use all the
    popular IM clients, uses text NOT data.
    07-20-08 08:56 PM
    what is OZ messenger?
    07-20-08 09:01 PM
    Data txt till your thumbs bleed
    07-20-08 09:01 PM
    Is there extra charges to use BBM internationally?
    07-20-08 09:17 PM
    what is OZ messenger?
    AT&T's program that allows you to use Yahoo Messenger, MSN, and AIM.
    Verizon also has a program like this that uses txt I believe called Mobile IM. I know I have it on my other phone.
    07-20-08 10:35 PM
    Is there extra charges to use BBM internationally?
    No, there is not.
    07-21-08 01:24 AM
    Sorry to clash with all the experts, but Windows Live Messenger *DOES* use your text message allotment. I have the 250 text messages/month plan through VZW, so I wanted to be absolutely sure. After installing WLM, I went to my online VZW account and viewed my detailed billing. It breaks down exactly how many text messages you use and when. Sure enough, when I was using Live Messenger, I was racking up txt msgs for every IM.
    If you have unlimited text, its not a problem, but if you pay per text msg or have a limited plan, you may want to limit your WLM usage. (BTW, I'm sure someone will flame me for disagreeing, but check your detailed billing if you want to confirm. It takes about a day or so for the messages to show up on your account)
    BB Messenger / pin msgs dont use text, that is data only. Yahoo, I've never used, so I wont comment on. But I will say after reading how popular Jivetalk is around here, I'm probably going to end up getting that and IM'ing my WLM contacts through that to save my sms/txt msgs.
    07-21-08 01:40 AM
    (BTW, I'm sure someone will flame me for disagreeing,
    Not if you're providing factual information. I won't comment on WLM because as far as I know AT&T still has it blocked.
    07-21-08 01:43 AM
    Does jivetalk use data for all I'm programs?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 02:22 AM
    Does jivetalk use data for all I'm programs?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I havent bought it yet, but I've read numerous posts from those who have, and all concur thats its data-only, no sms used.
    07-21-08 03:18 AM
    After installing WLM
    Sorry ti hijack the thread but WLM, I am now running 4.5 with no problems I love it! But STILL cant get WLM to work, I get the device is not compatible message, I have read that is purely carrier dependat is this true or am I missing something??

I have been going to www.blackberry.com/livemessenger to download, is this correct?

Thanks all
    07-21-08 03:33 AM
    I have heard that it is all data as well..

cant bvouch for the WLM though...maybe you are right...
    07-21-08 06:20 AM
    Sorry ti hijack the thread but WLM, I am now running 4.5 with no problems I love it! But STILL cant get WLM to work, I get the device is not compatible message, I have read that is purely carrier dependat is this true or am I missing something??

I have been going to www.blackberry.com/livemessenger to download, is this correct?

Thanks all
    I believe this is the link I followed: http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoft....do?code=wlm20 I was fortunate not to have an issue installing, but others have and it does seem to be carrier dependant (I'm not running 4.5 yet by the way). I don't see a reference to Orange in this thread, but maybe this how-to another member posted will help: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/msn-...ks-great-47711
    07-21-08 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD