I
    Most Europeans speak two languages, their own and English. Most Canadians also speak French. YOU probably speak more than two languages. Anyway, it was a perfectly civilised and light hearted thread/conversation, no need to incite to fighting and ridicule it.
    No. Most Canadians don't. Some do and many don't. We get rudimentary french until grade 12, when I went to school it was only mandatory until grade 9. It's not even really useful, it's all conjugation and totally useless for conversation. I can read a sign enough to understand but can't do much more than say hello, goodbye, yes, no, and ask if I can go to the bathroom. Oh and I can swear and say the Canadiens suck. Made my 3 week business trip to Montreal really interesting (although because Montreal hates the Quebec language police so much most are pretty good with speaking English, I only had a couple of occasions where they claimed they spoke no English even though I knew they do). My 20 something sister went to a French immersion university in order to learn French and it's not a standard campus. If you want your kid to be bilingual you have to enroll then into immersion or be already bilingual.

And I say this as someone whose name was french as french can be and has one parent who is somewhat bilingual. Being able to sing the french version of Oh Canada doesn't count. I can text in 3 languages on my phone but I've never used the feature and never will.

And whomever compared France french to Quebec french, don't let France hear you, a friend of mine from Paris considers Quebec french the equivalent of pig Latin.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-20-13 09:19 AM
    I

No. Most Canadians don't. Some do and many don't. We get rudimentary french until grade 12, when I went to school it was only mandatory until grade 9. It's not even really useful, it's all conjugation and totally useless for conversation. I can read a sign enough to understand but can't do much more than say hello, goodbye, yes, no, and ask if I can go to the bathroom. Oh and I can swear and say the Canadiens suck. Made my 3 week business trip to Montreal really interesting (although because Montreal hates the Quebec language police so much most are pretty good with speaking English, I only had a couple of occasions where they claimed they spoke no English even though I knew they do). My 20 something sister went to a French immersion university in order to learn French and it's not a standard campus. If you want your kid to be bilingual you have to enroll then into immersion or be already bilingual.

And I say this as someone whose name was french as french can be and has one parent who is somewhat bilingual. Being able to sing the french version of Oh Canada doesn't count. I can text in 3 languages on my phone but I've never used the feature and never will.

And whomever compared France french to Quebec french, don't let France hear you, a friend of mine from Paris considers Quebec french the equivalent of pig Latin.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    French French, Canadian French, and Haitian French can be so different from each other that they can be more dissimilar than similar.
    Worse than the differences between Castillian Spanish and New World Spanish.
    Much much worse.

This is a neat feature.

No great gain to me.

And I say to me because, unlike some others, I don't speak for everyone. And I would still like to see the practical application in real life. It's like people in the middle of California suburbia who like to buy a 4x4 Hummer to go to the supermarket. Neat, but impractical. Oh, but they've got a Hummer!!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 10:59 AM
    And I say to me because, unlike some others, I don't speak for everyone. And I would still like to see the practical application in real life. It's like people in the middle of California suburbia who like to buy a 4x4 Hummer to go to the supermarket. Neat, but impractical. Oh, but they've got a Hummer!!!!!!
    The only thing I can think of is when there isn't a word for something in one language, but you're texting someone who speaks the same languages as you. For example, when I'm sitting in the sauna at the gym sometimes there will be people speaking Spanish and they'll throw an English word (usually a proper noun) in sometimes.

Three languages at once would be a bit of a stretch though, just because of the additions it makes to the keyboard (at least normal SwiftKey). When I did that trial yesterday it added some extra keys to the keyboard, and changed around the layout quite a bit. I could only imagine what adding a third language would be like!

I could see composing an email to several colleagues all who speak different launguages. The three language thing would come in handy then. Like if you type out the email in one language first, then another below that, then another below that. But in that case I think the Samsung keyboard would work just as well since you can change languages by swiping on the space bar, because in that instance you'd be using each language for a few paragraphs and not switching back and forth ever few words.
    01-20-13 11:28 AM
    The only thing I can think of is when there isn't a word for something in one language, but you're texting someone who speaks the same languages as you. For example, when I'm sitting in the sauna at the gym sometimes there will be people speaking Spanish and they'll throw an English word (usually a proper noun) in sometimes.

Three languages at once would be a bit of a stretch though, just because of the additions it makes to the keyboard (at least normal SwiftKey). When I did that trial yesterday it added some extra keys to the keyboard, and changed around the layout quite a bit. I could only imagine what adding a third language would be like!

I could see composing an email to several colleagues all who speak different launguages. The three language thing would come in handy then. Like if you type out the email in one language first, then another below that, then another below that. But in that case I think the Samsung keyboard would work just as well since you can change languages by swiping on the space bar, because in that instance you'd be using each language for a few paragraphs and not switching back and forth ever few words.
    I think it's much more useful to people that don't have English as their first language. Regardless, it could be very useful for somebody looking to impress a client perhaps.

How many suggestions does SwiftKey offer on android? On the BB10 I've seen as many as 6.
    01-20-13 01:22 PM
    I think it's much more useful to people that don't have English as their first language. Regardless, it could be very useful for somebody looking to impress a client perhaps.

How many suggestions does SwiftKey offer on android? On the BB10 I've seen as many as 6.
    It offers 3. Although I think depending on your settings, while you're typing you might only get 2 suggestions, as it leaves one of the 3 suggestions as what you actually typed, in case you don't want it "correcting" the word for you.
    The added prediction will be nice on the BB10 keyboard, but to be honest, if your a fast typer like myself, you rely more on the autocorrect software than the prediction software.
    01-20-13 02:24 PM

Three. The middle being the one it's predicting based on your typing style and the other two based on the word you're typing. Forgive me, but isn't 6 a little overkill? Don't get me wrong I'd be saying that even if regular SwiftKey offered that. To me I would think it would be faster to type out the word you want than to manually look at six different suggestions to see if that's the word you want to use. Plus, on the BB10 keyboard wouldn't your eyes have to look at multiple places on the keyboard to see the six suggestions? You'd also have to move your thumbs away to get a clear view of the keyboard. Maybe that would be part of the learning curve in getting proficient with the keyboard.
    01-20-13 02:24 PM
    It offers 3. Although I think depending on your settings, while you're typing you might only get 2 suggestions, as it leaves one of the 3 suggestions as what you actually typed, in case you don't want it "correcting" the word for you.
    The added prediction will be nice on the BB10 keyboard, but to be honest, if your a fast typer like myself, you rely more on the autocorrect software than the prediction software.
    Agreed .

01-20-13 02:27 PM
    Three. The middle being the one it's predicting based on your typing style and the other two based on the word you're typing. Forgive me, but isn't 6 a little overkill? Don't get me wrong I'd be saying that even if regular SwiftKey offered that. To me I would think it would be faster to type out the word you want than to manually look at six different suggestions to see if that's the word you want to use. Plus, on the BB10 keyboard wouldn't your eyes have to look at multiple places on the keyboard to see the six suggestions? You'd also have to move your thumbs away to get a clear view of the keyboard. Maybe that would be part of the learning curve in getting proficient with the keyboard.
    Well no, the whole point of the BB10 keyboard is to put the words over the next letter you're gonna use, so you never look at them all to choose one, it will be there over the next letter your finger moves to. If that makes sense.

Edit, the words don't get assigned to the first letter in the word, they get asigned to the next letter you'll type, for xample you want to type "letter" you type le and you'll see the word letter over the T key in the keyboard.
    01-20-13 02:30 PM
    Well no, the whole point of the BB10 keyboard is to put the words over the next letter you're gonna use, so you never look at them all to choose one, it will be there over the next letter your finger moves to. If that makes sense.
    Exactly. It definitely opens the door to more options putting the words above the keys, and it'll be nice to be able to finally test it out. I'm hoping it offers my "favorites" without even touching the keyboard like it does currently on Android. For example, my 3 predicted words (before I even type on the keyboard) are "Ya", "I", and "Lol". So in most conversations, I can either respond "Ya" or "Lol" with only one click.
    01-20-13 02:38 PM

Edit, the words don't get assigned to the first letter in the word, they get asigned to the next letter you'll type, for xample you want to type "letter" you type le and you'll see the word letter over the T key in the keyboard.
    I get that, and I know that's where the whole contextually aware thing will play a major part. Because with up to six suggestions popping up I could type "le" and get suggestions for letter, lean, lesbian, lent, etc. And I know the more letters you type the more it will predict accurately so eventually it'll get to the right one.

I'm really excited to play with it but I have a feeling I'll be typing things out for awhile until I get a feel for it.
    01-20-13 03:05 PM
    I get that, and I know that's where the whole contextually aware thing will play a major part. Because with up to six suggestions popping up I could type "le" and get suggestions for letter, lean, lesbian, lent, etc. And I know the more letters you type the more it will predict accurately so eventually it'll get to the right one.

I'm really excited to play with it but I have a feeling I'll be typing things out for awhile until I get a feel for it.
    Exactly, you'll get all those suggestions, letter overt T, lean over A, lent over N and lesbian over S, it all depends where your finger is moving next.

It seems designed for single hand usage, as I said in another thread, I don't think I used it once with both hands the entire time.
    01-20-13 03:21 PM
    Exactly, you'll get all those suggestions, letter overt T, lean over A, lent over N and lesbian over S, it all depends where your finger is moving next.

It seems designed for single hand usage, as I said in another thread, I don't think I used it once with both hands the entire time.
    I'm a lot faster typing in landscape than I am in portrait these days. A lot of what it takes to become a fast typer on a touchscreen is muscle memory, and I'd say I type in landscape about 85% of the time. The other times are for short replies if I'm already looking at my phone in portrait.
    01-20-13 03:30 PM
112 ... 345