YouTube!! Good idea lol. No I really don't know much about it. I'm trying to stay away from too many BB10 demo leaks so I can be properly wowed on the 30th .

I think I see what you're saying now, though. I just couldn't visualize it at first.
    Well, I don't think I my explanation was too clear either lol.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-19-13 10:36 AM
    Well, I don't think I my explanation was too clear either lol.
    That, and I had just woken up lol. Hadn't had my brain juice aka coffee yet.
    01-19-13 10:38 AM
    But that's nothing new, even my old 8800 can do that, hold alt and press enter and the language is changed. BB10 is taking it to a whole new level.
    This has nothing to do with my post. No offense, but after looking through this thread, you seen to be going out of your way top squash any doubt that RIM has fashioned together the greatest input method mankind had ever seen and it's a tad grating.

Other big or maybe the biggest advantages are the eassy swipe down to switch to numbers and symbols and swipe left to delete, this alone speeds up your typing quite a lot.
    I used to use that gesture on my Android keyboards, but at the end of the day I found it faster to just swipe from the symbols key because once I let my finger up it would automatically input the character I had my finger over and switch back to letters. As for the backspace gesture, I did like that, but I wish I remembered which keyboard allowed you to scribble over the keys and it would continuously delete. That was great.
    01-19-13 11:53 AM
    [Duplicate]
    01-19-13 11:55 AM
    lmao, some of you are too funny in how far you take things.
    This. Hyperbole for the win.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-19-13 11:59 AM
    This has nothing to do with my post. No offense, but after looking through this thread, you seen to be going out of your way top squash any doubt that RIM has fashioned together the greatest input method mankind had ever seen and it's a tad grating.
    That's because they have, you don't have to take my word for it, just wait and see. I still prefer pysical qwerty though.
    01-19-13 12:01 PM
    The British will be sooo upset
    Unless they watch Top Gear and think he's an over compensating for shortcomings c0ck for having a Porsche Cockster. Then they'll simply know the truth.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-19-13 12:03 PM
    Yes, it's the mother of all touch screen keyboards, who takes the credit for it is disputable but most will not care really.
    Hang on for a sec. You were all about celebrating the BB10 keyboard when you thought RIM had created all these nifty little features. But I pointed out that most of the things you were excited about have already been available on the normal version of SwiftKey, so now people shouldn't care who gets credit? Why not a compromise to say that the success of the BB10 keyboard is a joint effort? RIM licensed the feature-rich SwiftKey software and added its own tweaks such as the swiping up for word prediction, and is NATIVELY offering roughly (more or less, I know there are things that still have yet to be unveiled) the same experience that 1.5 million Android users paid $4 to have.
    randall2580 and magutwit like this.
    01-19-13 02:11 PM
    Hang on for a sec. You were all about celebrating the BB10 keyboard when you thought RIM had created all these nifty little features. But I pointed out that most of the things you were excited about have already been available on the normal version of SwiftKey, so now people shouldn't care who gets credit? Why not a compromise to say that the success of the BB10 keyboard is a joint effort? RIM licensed the feature-rich SwiftKey software and added its own tweaks such as the swiping up for word prediction, and is NATIVELY offering roughly (more or less, I know there are things that still have yet to be unveiled) the same experience that 1.5 million Android users paid $4 to have.
    Lol, because everything in BB10 is a joint effort, starting with QNX, Astonishing Tribe, Jaycut and all other companies RIM bought. For everything else they partnered with key companies. RIM sits at the middle cramming it into one device.
    01-19-13 02:21 PM
    Lol, because everything in BB10 is a joint effort
    So you're agreeing with me . But again in this thread we're just talking about the keyboard. Do you feel differently about it knowing that the features you were excited about came from SwiftKey and not directly from RIM? Which brings up another question, do you know if the BB10 keyboard will get SwiftKey updates? For example, SwiftKey is constantly adding new language packs. Will the BB10 see those too? I'm pretty sure the BB10 keyboard wouldn't get ALL the SwiftKey updates, like Flow for example. Flow would get in the way of swiping up to enter a predicted word. But I could be wrong.
    01-19-13 02:32 PM
    So you're agreeing with me . But again in this thread we're just talking about the keyboard. Do you feel differently about it knowing that the features you were excited about came from SwiftKey and not directly from RIM? Which brings up another question, do you know if the BB10 keyboard will get SwiftKey updates? For example, SwiftKey is constantly adding new language packs. Will the BB10 see those too? I'm pretty sure the BB10 keyboard wouldn't get ALL the SwiftKey updates, like Flow for example. Flow would get in the way of swiping up to enter a predicted word. But I could be wrong.
    Oh I already knew Swiftkey were involved. For everything else I have no idea. Even if all the tech comes from Swiftkey I'm sure RIM has locked it down for a few years. In the end it doesn't matter, in every phone there's tech coming from many other companies. It's the one that puts it in the device you buy that gets the credit, it's RIM that gives you the awesome keyboard in BB10, not SwiftKey, even though it's their tech.

Take SIRI for example, does anybody care SIRI was an app for iphone before Apple bought them and took over? Does anybody question who made SIRI? It certainly wasn't Apple. And it runs on Nuance in the first place.

Lol, so just who gets the credit? I'd say Apple for giving it to their customers.
    01-19-13 02:43 PM
    Pantless, if you're ever interested look into Options/About in a BB, there's a long list of Acknowledgments, including the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland lol, it's a long long list and I suspect the BB10 list will be even longer.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-19-13 02:56 PM
    Oh I already knew Swiftkey were involved. For everything else I have no idea. Even if all the tech comes from Swiftkey I'm sure RIM has locked it down for a few years. In the end it doesn't matter, in every phone there's tech coming from many other companies. It's the one that puts it in the device you buy that gets the credit, it's RIM that gives you the awesome keyboard in BB10, not SwiftKey, even though it's their tech.

Take SIRI for example, does anybody care SIRI was an app for iphone before Apple bought them and took over? Does anybody question who made SIRI? It certainly wasn't Apple. And it runs on Nuance in the first place.

Lol, so just who gets the credit? I'd say Apple for giving it to their customers.
    Actually there was a pretty big stink about Siri when it was first announced IIRC. People were upset because Apple made it sound like they invented the technology. And I totally agree about different technologies being used in various devices, but as I've said multiple times I like to see credit given. For example, HTC made it known that the tech behind the MT4G Genius Button was powered by Dragon Dictation.
    01-19-13 02:59 PM
    Pantless, if you're ever interested look into Options/About in a BB, there's a long list of Acknowledgments, including the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland lol, it's a long long list and I suspect the BB10 list will be even longer.
    Good to know, and very reassuring! I'm powering up the 9700 right now to take a look!
    01-19-13 03:01 PM
    For example, HTC made it known that the tech behind the MT4G Genius Button was powered by Dragon Dictation.
    Isn't Dragon Dictation powered by Nuance? Lol
    01-19-13 03:04 PM
    Isn't Dragon Dictation powered by Nuance? Lol
    Lol you're right! I don't think I knew that!
    01-19-13 03:07 PM
    This thread is absolutely hilarious.

To all these folks suddenly so concerned with three languages simultaneously on BB.....how many actually have a need for this feature? How many actually speak more than one language? And how many can actually use this feature???

And by the way, Swiftkey was baked into my SGIII, I didn't have to download anything.

And by the way, even if it weren't baked in, it is available in the Play Store.....because there are apps in the Play Store.

OMG this is beyond hilarious. Arguing about a rarefied functionality and who had it first when the vast majority of the population in the United States believe that they can speak another language because they can mispronounce "Otra cerveza, por favor, camarero" in a Mexican restaurant.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-20-13 05:23 AM

To all these folks suddenly so concerned with three languages simultaneously on BB.....how many actually have a need for this feature? How many actually speak more than one language? And how many can actually use this feature???

And by the way, Swiftkey was baked into my SGIII, I didn't have to download anything.

And by the way, even if it weren't baked in, it is available in the Play Store.....because there are apps in the Play Store.

OMG this is beyond hilarious. Arguing about a rarefied functionality and who had it first when the vast majority of the population in the United States believe that they can speak another language because they can mispronounce "Otra cerveza, por favor, camarero" in a Mexican restaurant.

Most Europeans speak two languages, their own and English. Most Canadians also speak French. YOU probably speak more than two languages. Anyway, it was a perfectly civilised and light hearted thread/conversation, no need to incite to fighting and ridicule it.
    01-20-13 05:35 AM

It may be hilarious but at least they are being polite to each other for a change! The debate is completely pointless for most users who only have two languages - regular everyday and profanity.
    01-20-13 05:38 AM
    It may be hilarious but at least they are being polite to each other for a change! The debate is completely pointless for most users who only have two languages - regular everyday and profanity.
    HA!!!!! Yah....you're right there! No matter how many languages I speak I never find myself having to use three of these languages within a conversation. While the majority of people in Canada, Europe, North Africa, and Asia speak more than one language, the usage of three within the same conversation would be a rarity. And the whole baked in vs. downloaded is one of my fave pieces of this....

I'm having a good time with this one!!!
    01-20-13 05:47 AM
    Most Europeans speak two languages, their own and English. Most Canadians also speak French.
    Memories of passing through Montreal airport, where the only french speaker polite enough to direct an exhausted visitor toward a source of coffee was a patrolling cop. The rest of the locals pretended they don't understand English
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-20-13 05:50 AM
    I have the perfect example for this and all summed up in one word: Spanglish

It happens to many people that live away from home and don't speak their mother tongue every day, myself included lol, my wife still laughs when she hears me talking romanian and sneaking in english words in every sentence lol
    01-20-13 05:58 AM
    Memories of passing through Montreal airport, where the only french speaker polite enough to direct an exhausted visitor toward a source of coffee was a patrolling cop. The rest of the locals pretended they don't understand English
    France is the exception lol, start swearing and they'll quickly remember they do speak english.
    01-20-13 05:58 AM
    I can see switching alphabets very useful....for example, if you were to suddenly need to use Greek characters and switch from English characters to Greek. But how often is that done or needed?

I think this is a "neat" feature that is quite rarified but not necessarily useful in actual use. If I begin a conversation in one language I've already established which language to use. If I were to quote something in another language, by the very fact that it is a quote means that the source material already exists in another language, you are simply copying and pasting existing language.

I would be curious as to the practical usage of this feature. I am multilingual and my conversations begin and end in one language with some specific alternative words thrown in. I'd love to hear practical usability.

Oh looky.....I can use different languages on my SGIII.

Hehehehe.... OK y'all... gots que ir a iglesia maintenant......c'est dimanche today.....

Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-20-13 at 06:16 AM.
    01-20-13 06:05 AM
    Yes Q, we've established that a while back, welcome to the thread.
    01-20-13 07:32 AM
112 ... 2345