has anybody else noticed that the nhl is back tomorrow?
    yup...game on!!
    01-18-13 09:31 PM
    Messaging in three different languages, BB10 the only one?-images.jpg "Oh, is that you in my dust?'
    01-18-13 09:39 PM
    Every platform can switch languages easily and get predictions/corrections. What makes BB10 different is that it automatically detects what language you're trying to use and adjusts the word predictions accordingly, but I've yet to see how our handles languages with completely different alphabets.

I think the whole idea is that BB10 will automatically detect and adjust when you switch languages. Granted, this will only work with languages that use the same typography, but a whole range of languages uses the same Latin alphabet (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm no language scholar) as English. As far as I'm aware, no other OS can do this, although they still support switching languages, but will not do it for you automatically.
    So, for me it'll work the same as it does now on Android; a quick tap on the language-switch key and I'm off.
    Last edited by itmccb; 01-18-13 at 09:55 PM.
    01-18-13 09:44 PM
    I can easily do this on my SG3 as well. One message, multiple languages. Switching languages is done by holding the space bar down and scrolling to the desired language.

Attachment 131739

This isn't what BB10 does. This is called a "nothing like BB10." BB10's language handling is unique.
    01-18-13 10:35 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	131782 "Oh, is that you in my dust?'
    That's my team! Can't wait to see Yakupov and J Schultz do some damage with Hall, Eberle and RNH!
    01-18-13 10:49 PM
    It seems like no one noticed, so I'll say it myself : the relative advantage of this feauture over samsung Androids (where one has to make a swipe move to change the input layout) will concern only the languages that use the same alphabet with the same signs.
    If one will need at least to start a word with a sign not found on a current input, I suppose that he'll still have to switch to another layout (maybe)
    I don't mention the cases where one would like to use simultaneously languages with, say, Cyrillic and Latin alphabets or Latin/Arab (sure)

So the advantage over Samsung is really short as far as I see it, while Samsung, as I've already said it, has an advatnage to have 25-30 more languages (from Galaxy3 to Note10), twice more basically.
    01-18-13 11:46 PM
    BB10's language handling is unique.
    Unique, but of shorter application (only the languages that require the same alphabets and only the available languages, twice less than the other competitors).
    01-18-13 11:49 PM
    Unique, but of shorter application (only the languages that require the same alphabets and only the available languages, twice less than the other competitors).
    BB10 is likely to have an android-esque method of switching alphabets in addition to its superior language prediction capabilities.
    01-19-13 02:38 AM
    Every platform can switch languages easily and get predictions/corrections. What makes BB10 different is that it automatically detects what language you're trying to use and adjusts the word predictions accordingly, but I've yet to see how our handles languages with completely different alphabets.

So, for me it'll work the same as it does now on Android; a quick tap on the language-switch key and I'm off.
    But that's nothing new, even my old 8800 can do that, hold alt and press enter and the language is changed. BB10 is taking it to a whole new level.
    01-19-13 03:07 AM
    Keep reading, it's a SwiftKey thing . The advantage is that BB10 has the SwiftKey engine built in and you have to download/pay on Android.
    Actually sorry but no, the BB keyboard has a lot more advantages then that, one big one the predictions come over the next letter you're gonna use, that is a huge advantage as you never have to take your eyes away from the keys. And there's a lot more little features built into it and it's very contextual aware, basically eliminating the autocorrect problems. Just wait and see.
    01-19-13 03:46 AM
    Actually sorry but no, the BB keyboard has a lot more advantages then that, one big one the predictions come over the next letter you're gonna use, that is a huge advantage as you never have to take your eyes away from the keys. And there's a lot more little features built into it and it's very contextual aware, basically eliminating the autocorrect problems. Just wait and see.
    The "autocorrect problems" are most prevalent on iOS. There's a reason why you rarely see submissions from Android phones on damnyouautocorrect.com. We already have contextually aware keyboards like SwiftKey . I am looking forward to the swiping up to enter a suggestion feature for sure. And I'm hoping that one of the little features you speak of is that RIM included the dpad like on normal SwiftKey. I think that will appease users who are lamenting the elimination of the trackpad. I know it doesn't have all the functionality of a real trackpad, but at least users will still be able to retain cursor functions.
    01-19-13 05:14 AM
    The "autocorrect problems" are most prevalent on iOS. There's a reason why you rarely see submissions from Android phones on damnyouautocorrect.com. We already have contextually aware keyboards like SwiftKey . I am looking forward to the swiping up to enter a suggestion feature for sure. And I'm hoping that one of the little features you speak of is that RIM included the dpad like on normal SwiftKey. I think that will appease users who are lamenting the elimination of the trackpad. I know it doesn't have all the functionality of a real trackpad, but at least users will still be able to retain cursor functions.
    I think it's more the way BB keyboard does it all into one, add to it the scanning of the emails and contacts to learn names and your common words, which by the way, existing BBs already have been doing for a long time, and the result is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's enough to sway me because of the way I use a phone but if this doesn't, nothing ever will lol.

Other big or maybe the biggest advantages are the eassy swipe down to switch to numbers and symbols and swipe left to delete, this alone speeds up your typing quite a lot.

PS no sign of a dpad and I don't think there's room for it.
    01-19-13 05:35 AM
    I think it's more the way BB keyboard does it all into one, add to it the scanning of the emails and contacts to learn names and your common words, which by the way, existing BBs already have been doing for a long time, and the result is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's enough to sway me because of the way I use a phone but if this doesn't, nothing ever will lol.

Other big or maybe the biggest advantages are the eassy swipe down to switch to numbers and symbols and swipe left to delete, this alone speeds up your typing quite a lot.

PS no sign of a dpad and I don't think there's room for it.
    I always wondered why SwiftKey didn't scan contacts since it scans other sources of information. Maybe they couldn't get security clearance for those? And it's awesome that I'll be able to have it scan other sources of email than just Gmail since I use my outlook addresses more these days.

The swiping for numbers and symbols will be great, but it sounds like a split second difference of how it currently works, which is a long press to get the numbers and symbols displayed on the keys.

(those arrows on the right are the dpad)

SwiftKey already can swipe to delete.

Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-19-13 at 06:34 AM.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-19-13 06:12 AM
    I always wondered why SwiftKey didn't scan contacts since it scans other sources of information. Maybe they couldn't get security clearance for those? And it's awesome that I'll be able to have it scan other sources of email than just Gmail since I use my outlook addresses more these days.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...9-05-56-54.png

The swiping for numbers and symbols will be great, but it sounds like a split second difference of how it currently works, which is a long press to get the numbers and symbols displayed on the keys.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...9-06-00-47.png

(those arrows on the right are the dpad)

SwiftKey already can swipe to delete.

It's not a split second difference really, first because you don't need to do a long press and second because you can do it anywhere on the screen, you don't have to locate a certain area or button first. In practice is very fast.

Existing BBs have been doing the learning thing for a long time now but I don't think many use it, I never really did anyway, I prefer direct typing with spell check at the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Messaging in three different languages, BB10 the only one?-edshot-20-wed-20jan-209-202013-2010.35.27-20am-.jpg  
    01-19-13 06:55 AM
    I always wondered...
    Why are you posting Android screenshots everywhere? I don't think you understand competition.. Yes you can BUY the SwiftKey keyboard for Android.. But I never buy any paid applications.. and certainly not a Keyboard.

According to you.. If I get myself a SGS3.. I am forced to buy the SwiftKey keyboard app? Now isn't this the very problem RIM is trying to address? I'm surprised you don't see that..
    01-19-13 06:55 AM
    Why are you posting Android screenshots everywhere? I don't think you understand competition.. Yes you can BUY the SwiftKey keyboard for Android.. But I never buy any paid applications.. and certainly not a Keyboard.

According to you.. If I get myself a SGS3.. I am forced to buy the SwiftKey keyboard app? Now isn't this the very problem RIM is trying to address? I'm surprised you don't see that..
    Not buying paid apps sounds like an ethical problem to me. When I appreciate a developer's hard work of course I'll purchase the app. I don't see a problem with this at all. I've also donated a buck here and there to developers that offer exceptional apps for free.

Yes, I understand competition and have said several times in this thread that the advantage of the BB10 keyboard is that it will come native, and I never implied this wasn't an advantage over the competition. My point is that it's unfair to credit RIM for SwiftKey innovations. That's it. I've also brought up the fact that perhaps RIM *did* create these, and SwiftKey adopted them for their own app. If I'm shown proof that RIM did indeed come up with these first then of course the credit goes to RIM.

Now, I see you joined today and this is your first post. Who is this and why would you create a fake profile just to say this?
    01-19-13 07:11 AM
    It's not a split second difference really, first because you don't need to do a long press and second because you can do it anywhere on the screen, you don't have to locate a certain area or button first. In practice is very fast.

Existing BBs have been doing the learning thing for a long time now but I don't think many use it, I never really did anyway, I prefer direct typing with spell check at the end.
    I never said existing BBs couldn't . It's great that they can. But correct me if I'm wrong, on a qwerty device doesn't that just add words to the custom dictionary so they don't get marked in spell check? That's a bit different than using your language style to predict your next words.

I'm confused about what you said about not having to locate a certain button first to add numbers or symbols. Where do you find the numbers and symbols you want to select? If you were referring to swiping anywhere on the screen to delete, this is how it works on SwiftKey as well.
    01-19-13 07:21 AM
    I never said existing BBs couldn't . It's great that they can. But correct me if I'm wrong, on a qwerty device doesn't that just add words to the custom dictionary so they don't get marked in spell check? That's a bit different than using your language style to predict your next words.

I'm confused about what you said about not having to locate a certain button first to add numbers or symbols. Where do you find the numbers and symbols you want to select? If you were referring to swiping anywhere on the screen to delete, this is how it works on SwiftKey as well.
    Well you are wrong a qwerty BB also has predictive typing(see screenshot)

What I meant is you have to locate the button that you have to hold down or press to show numbers and symbols, on BB10 you don't, you swipe down anywhere on the keyboard, left right or centre, doesn't matter.

PS, you do have to give RIM credit, they're the ones that bought all the companies and partnered with others to bring all the goodness out of the box in BB10. They do deserve credit.
    Attached Thumbnails Messaging in three different languages, BB10 the only one?-edshot-20-sat-20jan-2019-202013-202.10.59-20pm-.jpg  
    01-19-13 08:22 AM
    Well you are wrong a qwerty BB also has predictive typing(see screenshot)

What I meant is you have to locate the button that you have to hold down or press to show numbers and symbols, on BB10 you don't, you swipe down anywhere on the keyboard, left right or centre, doesn't matter.

PS, you do have to give RIM credit, they're the ones that bought all the companies and partnered with others to bring all the goodness out of the box in BB10. They do deserve credit.
    I stand corrected on the predictive text . I'm still really not sure what you're trying to say about swiping to enter symbols and numbers. Where do you find the number or symbol you want to enter? And no, I'm not talking about the button you press to show all numbers and symbols. I'm talking about the numbers and symbols shown on each key. You just long press on the corresponding key to get that number/symbol.

And I do give RIM tons of credit for the entirety of BB10. They've seem to have overcome what once looked bleak. But right now, in this thread, we're discussing the keyboard.
    01-19-13 08:33 AM
    Wait I get it I think. You swipe on the screen to get the page of numbers and symbols, then select the symbol you want to enter?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-19-13 08:36 AM
    5 more hours! wooohoooo!
    01-19-13 09:02 AM
    Wow this thread has taken on a life of it's own. I am impressed on how detailed this has become. Thanks for all the contributions Top of the morning to you BD....love what you do for this forum!

Cheers to all for your comments.

Ben
    01-19-13 09:50 AM
    Wait I get it I think. You swipe on the screen to get the page of numbers and symbols, then select the symbol you want to enter?
    Just watch some demo's on youtube lol, I assumed you knew more about it. Looking back I wish I gave it more attention lol, but there was just so much to take in at the time.
    01-19-13 10:29 AM
    Just watch some demo's on youtube lol, I assumed you knew more about it. Looking back I wish I gave it more attention lol, but there was just so much to take in at the time.
    YouTube!! Good idea lol. No I really don't know much about it. I'm trying to stay away from too many BB10 demo leaks so I can be properly wowed on the 30th .

I think I see what you're saying now, though. I just couldn't visualize it at first.
    01-19-13 10:33 AM
    Wow this thread has taken on a life of it's own. I am impressed on how detailed this has become. Thanks for all the contributions Top of the morning to you BD....love what you do for this forum!

Cheers to all for your comments.

Ben
    Yes, it's the mother of all touch screen keyboards, who takes the credit for it is disputable but most will not care really.
    01-19-13 10:34 AM
112 12345