Google and Nexus seem to have lost this one!! Blackberry's language input is appearing to be superior.
    Keep reading, it's a SwiftKey thing . The advantage is that BB10 has the SwiftKey engine built in and you have to download/pay on Android.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-18-13 05:09 PM
    Keep reading, it's a SwiftKey thing . The advantage is that BB10 has the SwiftKey engine built in and you have any to download/pay on Android.
    That's exactly what I mean. Not native. Only native on Blackberry keyboard (modified swiftkey). Blackberry will be the first manufacturer to have this feature native.
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-18-13 05:10 PM
    So the difference then is that BB10 has it baked in and in the SG3 it has to be downloaded? Does it cost money?
    Currently it's $3.99 in the Play Store.
    01-18-13 05:13 PM
    That's exactly what I mean. Not native. Only native on Blackberry keyboard (modified swiftkey). Blackberry will be the first manufacturer to have this feature native.
    Native, yes. I thought you were saying that the BB input system would be the very first to offer this functionality, period.
    01-18-13 05:19 PM
    Not to mention the several other advantages of the BlackBerry virtual keyboard that even SwiftKey won't buy you on other platforms. I originally came to BlackBerry for the physical keyboard, but with this keyboard, BB10 has me absolutely sold on the full-touch device!
    01-18-13 05:20 PM
    Native, yes. I thought you were saying that the BB input system would be the very first to offer this functionality, period.
    No where did I mention or imply it was the first.
    01-18-13 05:21 PM
    Currently it's $3.99 in the Play Store.
    So add another $3.99 to the price of that android phone. If you want a similar keyboard.
    01-18-13 05:21 PM
    So then what's the point of saying your nexus does it when you know rightly it doesn't? My 9900 also does what the Nexus does by pressing two buttons. But none of them are intelligent to know what language you intend to type on.
    He never specified that it did it "on the fly" which is why i answered that my nexus did it in the "same body and natively." And as pantless has mentioned the swiftkey for android does do it "on the fly" the same as BB10.
    01-18-13 05:27 PM
    No where did I mention or imply it was the first.
    My brain twisted it like that lol. You were implying BB's language input is superior, but it hasn't been released yet, and the current version of SwiftKey can accomplish the same task. I just want to see credit go where it's due, and I definitely credit RIM for recognizing an amazing product that will definitely bolster the z10's capabilities. But the innovation for the function in question is a brainchild of SwiftKey and not RIM...unless of course SwiftKey just added that functionality after seeing RIM do it to their software. That's a possibility as well.
    01-18-13 05:32 PM
    Forgive me if I've missed something... But I was under the impression SwiftKey was already packaged with all/most of the Android devices released anytime in the last year.

I may be mistaken... But pretty much any device I've helped new users learn, already had SwiftKey installed.

As well, I think there are many people who need to learn the difference between "baked in" and "packaged with". The BB10 keyboard isn't baked into the OS. It's an app of it's own.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk.
    01-18-13 06:59 PM
    From the SwiftKey website, if it sounds familiar it should, guess where BB10 get's it from:

Can I use SwiftKey with more than one language?
    ← Languages
    Yes you can!

You can use up to three language models simultaneously. We’ve enhanced our multilingual support framework to make it even more effective, by constantly scanning input text to estimate which of the enabled language models are being used, and adjusting predictions accordingly.

I am editing this post to add additional information I couldn't find previously and didn't want to say until I was sure. Early in 2012 Switfkey announced "SwiftKey SDK" and I posted a copy of the announcement below. It's enabled Samsung to use SwiftKey SDK in the Galaxy Note 2 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and because it's a tremendous system - I would expect to see it more and more over time.

I highlight from the announcement:

The SDK lets partners plug all of the power of SwiftKey’s incredible language engine directly into their device or service, to drive the most compelling text input experience on the market, based on all of our NLP and machine learning technology.

It’s cross-platform and highly flexible, and we’re really excited about what partners across the mobile, consumer electronics and enterprise industries will be able to do with it. Read more about what we have to offer, or get in touch with us today to find out how you can access the SwiftKey SDK.

unquote

It is not exclusive to BlackBerry.

http://www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/intr...-swiftkey-sdk/

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...ediction-built
    Last edited by randall2580; 01-18-13 at 07:39 PM. Reason: additional information
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-18-13 07:18 PM
    So does this mean I can use the Z10 to find out what my mother in law is screaming at me...does the service pack include "off colour" vocabulary?
    randall2580 and calicocat2010 like this.
    01-18-13 07:34 PM
    So does this mean I can use the Z10 to find out what my mother in law is screaming at me...does the service pack include "off colour" vocabulary?
    And that's exactly what it is for android at this point. A service pack. You download it sperately, it doesn't come on the phone's OS. It appears google couldn't meet target cost on the OS if they tacked on swiftkey to it. Don't know why else they wouldn't have included it.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-18-13 07:40 PM
    And that's exactly what it is for android at this point. A service pack. You download it sperately, it doesn't come on the phone's OS. It appears google couldn't meet target cost on the OS if they tacked on swiftkey to it. Don't know why else they wouldn't have included it.
    That's only partly correct. Before the February announcement, SwiftKey did not show up except as an add on, but it's already built into the Galaxy Note II (see my quote from Android Central above). The SDK will make it much easier for other smartphone's to put it into their DNA
    01-18-13 07:44 PM
    That's only partly correct. Before the February announcement, SwiftKey did not show up except as an add on, but it's already built into the Galaxy Note II (see my quote from Android Central above). The SDK will make it much easier for other smartphone's to put it into their DNA
    Starting January 30 the standardized Blackberry 10 OS will have three language simultaneous support for all devices on the OS. The OS has it. Not a version of the OS, not one device, not in the future it will have it. It has it. Bottom line. Its like comparing a porsche to a ford mustang
    01-18-13 07:56 PM
    Starting January 30 the standardized Blackberry 10 OS will have three language simultaneous support for all devices on the OS. The OS has it. Not a version of the OS, not one device, not in the future it will have it. It has it. Bottom line. Its like comparing a porsche to a ford mustang
    Never had a Mustang...but the Porche rocked.
    01-18-13 08:00 PM
    lmao, some of you are too funny in how far you take things.
    bp3dots and reeneebob like this.
    01-18-13 08:12 PM
    In fact the Galaxy Note II is the first smartphone to rock this feature. I am not saying its coming in the future. Its in there right now. The Galaxy Note II is the last "FlagPhone" released by Samsung, and they are even now updating the GS3 to the same specs. The Galaxy Note 10.1 has it too, as I understand it. So the last 2 major releases from Samsung have the SDK built in.

BlackBerry doesn't have to compete with others producing BlackBerry phones. The Android manufactures all compete against one another and so try to do things a little differently to differentiate themselves from the other guy and each phone has different features. You see this as a problem, I see it as variety.

I cannot argue that all BlackBerry 10 phones will have this feature, its very easy to do and they would be silly not to, but in the end does it really matter if the HTC M or the Googlarola X phone has something else. If I want this predictive keyboard I can get it pretty easily on Android and from what SwiftKey said in Feb - anyone who wants it, can have it, if they pay the fee.
    01-18-13 08:14 PM
    Methaphorically ofcourse as applied to my comparision of smartphones above, I think the owner of the porsche is much more respected among the community
    01-18-13 08:24 PM
    Methaphorically ofcourse as applied to my comparision of smartphones above, I think the owner of the porsche is much more respected among the community
    The British will be sooo upset
    01-18-13 08:37 PM
    To be fair though, older versions of BBOS won't have it, either, just like older devices/versions of Android. And who's to say that future versions of Android won't have it as well?

Bottom line, has it existed for Android users? Yes. Has it been a paid app? Yes. Has it been a stock option on some current Android phones? Apparently so. Will it be the stock keyboard on BB10? Yes.

SwiftKey rocks, and I'm glad it will be the keyboard on z10. The one thing I've enjoyed about Android is the ability to change keyboards, and I've changed it to SwiftKey every time (when I wasn't using the stock HTC keyboard). Between SwiftKey and RIM's innovations, I don't doubt it when I hear people say the BB10 keyboard is impressive. But come on, for a cup of Starbucks anyone can use SwiftKey. Of course having it native on BB10 will be awesome, but I paid for it a couple years ago and if I'm still missing the $4 I paid for it, then I shouldn't be using a $600 smartphone to begin with.
    01-18-13 09:00 PM
    I can have fun with this too :-)_ -

Audi believes every car needs All Wheel Drive. BMW disagrees, but offers it if you want it. For me it's the ultimate driving machine. For others Quattro rules. Life goes on.
    01-18-13 09:05 PM
    LOL.

Let's make peace. BB10 has it natively. It's the best...
    01-18-13 09:21 PM
    LOL.

Let's make peace. BB10 has it natively. It's the best...
    Agree...as long as we can agree Mercedes rules...lol
    01-18-13 09:28 PM
    Has anybody else noticed that the NHL is back tomorrow?
    01-18-13 09:29 PM
112 1234 ...