Are there any applications available to message between a blackberry and an iPhone? My husband recently switched to an iPhone. We used BB messenger all the time and I am now feeling lost.
    01-09-10 02:25 AM
    yea, its called SMS.

BBM is for blackberry devices only. maybe you can try AIM, but that just seems mundane and pointless since SMS is probably easier. if you upgrade to a 5.0 OS, it has threaded SMS that looks like BBM or iPhones SMS bubbly chat. but again, i dont think theres any 5.0 OS for GSM 8300 phones yet.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 01-09-10 at 02:51 AM.
    01-09-10 02:49 AM
    you might wanna try out WhatsApp, there is a BB version for it too. its available in the Apps World for $2.99. Have yet to try it out personally, perhaps those who have this app could give a review.
    01-09-10 05:18 AM
    The least expensive solution is to use another IM client. I had an Iphone for a short while and my wife had a BB. We used Yahoo messenger to message each other. Its free and you can use it through your PC as well. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 05:21 AM
    Hello yahoo IM is perfect for your situation free an easy an unlike text messages you have unlimited words per message but e-mail is also just as easy between these phones
    01-09-10 05:49 AM
    I use Yahoo to IM with my iPhone using friends, and my friends that use enabled phones on other networks, also.

01-09-10 05:56 AM
    Does the iPhone have a native IM client that can be left running all of the time? I thought they were all third party apps which means they will be shutdown when the user runs another third party app.

(Willing to be wrong on this. I haven't checked in a while)
    01-09-10 07:22 AM
    My question here is: why did he switch to an iPhone?

01-09-10 07:43 AM
    Yes, this is partially right. The IM clients them selves do get shutdown when they are exited as iPhone does not allow apps running in the background (you can if you're jailbroken), but most if not all of the IM clients do have push capability.
    Does the iPhone have a native IM client that can be left running all of the time? I thought they were all third party apps which means they will be shutdown when the user runs another third party app.

01-09-10 07:52 AM
    I do this with my daughters via SMS, AIM and GoogleTalk. If you're running 5.0 on your BB, you have threaded SMS - I believe the iPhone has threaded SMS as well. That way, you wouldn't need another IM client (running or push) on either phone, just an unlimited texting plan.

Between those three, I'm able to keep communications going no matter what phone they have.
    01-09-10 08:02 AM
    Look up the program 'Whatsapp' its like bbm but between iphone and bb..
    01-09-10 08:16 AM
    I'm with Xopher on this one...My wife has a Droid, I have BB, my brother had an iphone (just switched to BB, YAY!), but we all use google talk. More so with my brother, because he won't pay for texting. Works good for us.
    01-09-10 08:39 AM
    Likewise gtalk for my wife and I between my 9700 and her iphone. Gtalk is a decent free app on bb that isn't hard on battery life like some multi chat clients. My wife has gone through a couple clients on the iphone, I think she is using beejive at the moment.

Sms works too, but I don't pay for a messaging plan when I have an expensive data plan already.

Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; 01-09-10 at 08:57 AM.
    01-09-10 08:52 AM
    you can use any instant messenger application available aim, yahoo, msn, gtalk
    01-09-10 10:52 AM
    SMS makes no sense if someone has a data plan and doesn't wantto pay for texting also (which IMO should be included with a data plan). My wife and I use Yahoo Messenger. The iPhone app has push enabled so it will pop up when a message comes in.
    01-09-10 08:55 PM
    SMS makes no sense if someone has a data plan and doesn't wantto pay for texting also (which IMO should be included with a data plan). My wife and I use Yahoo Messenger. The iPhone app has push enabled so it will pop up when a message comes in.
    I totally agree that SMS should be included with the data plan, complete rip-off to have to pay for both IMHO.
    01-09-10 11:20 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I am going to try the whatsapp.
    01-11-10 01:21 PM

On my ipod Touch, the Yahoo Messenger will pop up an alert of a new message even if you are in another app. I assume its the same on the iPhone.
    01-11-10 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD