Options in the messages app is set to keep messages forever. Free memory never goes less than what is listed in the topic. What appears to be happening is messages older than 30 days are auto deleted despite the setting is set at keep forever. I have double and triple check the settings and it is for sure set to keep forever. The question is why are they being deleted? I don't want any messages deleted unless I delete them. This allows me to track my usage habbits which I prefer to go back as far as two or three months. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 11:22 AM
    Are you certain you are reading the File Free correctly? I have seen many people misread how bytes they have free in translating it to MB. 40,960,000 bytes would be about 40mb.
    07-03-08 11:29 AM
    I suspect that is correct, it is an 8330 with 96 Mb.

Clearly memory is not the issue in OP case, but what is doing it?
    07-03-08 11:40 AM
    I honestly, can't think of another reason (off the top of my head) that would cause messages to auto delete.
    07-03-08 11:44 AM
    ...messages older than 30 days are auto deleted despite the setting is set at keep forever...
    Are you syncing to Outlook on a PC? If so, are the messages being deleted from there?
    07-03-08 02:43 PM
    And if the OP only has 4mb free and is, in fact, misreading the file free... then he needs to get a media card!!

I do not think this situation can be the simple solution of memory freeing
    07-03-08 02:47 PM
    Yes I am reading the number right. It is 8 digits long 4x,xxx,xxx bytes. I don't sync it with the pc. I only connect it once a week to perform a backup. I don't even have outlook installed on my pc. Phone came with a 1GB memory card and I have a few backgrounds stored on it. I need to get it to stop deleting messages older than 30 days ASAP as from here on out every day more will disappear as long as it keeps doing whatever its doing. I have had it for 33 days. May 30th was the 1st day logged and everything prior to June 3rd is now gone out of the message log.

Last edited by Stoneryno; 07-03-08 at 02:59 PM.
    07-03-08 02:56 PM
    Is there anything that correlates with the deletion, other than the passage of time? Does it happen every day, or once a week when you sync to make a backup? Sorry, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I know that would be obvious; I'm just throwing out ideas to see if something triggers a better idea. I'm assuming you're not on BES, since you don't use Outlook. Who is your BIS provider? Is there a setup there? I've only used BES and am clueless about BIS configuration options. Is it possible that the BIS deletes messages from the server after 30 days, and that deletion causes them to be removed from your blackberry?
    07-03-08 05:29 PM
    i'm not trying to be that guy in the locker room looking over but Damm 40meg?!?!?! im luck to hit 25
    07-03-08 09:22 PM
    i'm not trying to be that guy in the locker room looking over but Damm 40meg?!?!?! im luck to hit 25
    Lol....

The beauty of the curve from verizon...

07-03-08 09:32 PM
    Is there anything that correlates with the deletion, other than the passage of time? Does it happen every day, or once a week when you sync to make a backup?
    It appears to happen everyday. I just checked now not quite 2 hours into technically being the 4th and July 3rd messages are all gone.

Sorry, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I know that would be obvious; I'm just throwing out ideas to see if something triggers a better idea.
    No worries I'm clueless so I'll look into an�thing that could correct things so they aren't deleted.

I'm assuming you're not on BES, since you don't use Outlook. Who is your BIS provider? Is there a setup there? I've only used BES and am clueless about BIS configuration options. Is it possible that the BIS deletes messages from the server after 30 days, and that deletion causes them to be removed from your blackberry?
    You are correct I has BIS. Sprint is the carrier. As far as BIS configuration I am clueless. But if there is some setting somewhere associtated with it that could cause the messages to be deleted after 30 days then I definately want to change it.

07-04-08 12:55 AM
    Update:

I can restore the old call logs and SMS logs from advanced button under the backup/restore section in BB desktop mangager to see the messages that got auto deleted. Question is how can I just restore the old messages without overwriting the whole call logs and SMS logs database file? Or save the entries from the call logs and SMS logs for the days that were auto deleted, so that when restoring from a backup performed prior to restoring from an old back up I can keep the old messages and retain all the newer ones as well. I hope that makes sense I can't come up with a better way to word it.
    07-04-08 03:57 AM
    You are correct I has BIS. Sprint is the carrier. As far as BIS configuration I am clueless. But if there is some setting somewhere associtated with it that could cause the messages to be deleted after 30 days then I definately want to change it.

Go to Cell Phones, Mobile Phones, and Wireless Calling Plans from Sprint. I don't have Sprint, but I just looked and they have a page on setting up your BIS email. See if anything there helps.
    07-04-08 07:45 AM
    I checked in BIS no settings other than typing in a signature to attach to email messages. I called sprints blackberry techsupport and the had a powwow of their department all poking around in 8330s to try and find something like a setting that could cause it other than the one in the message options and they found none. We concluded that perhaps it is a bug in the keep forever option. So I changed it to 6 months to see if messages still get deleted. If they don't then we will know it is a bug in the keep forever option. And can report it to RIM.

07-04-08 04:17 PM
    Well, at least they're trying to help. That's good. For what it's worth, if you sync with Outlook 2003, "forever" is 13 months for single calendar entries. Only recurring appointments go back further.

07-04-08 04:26 PM
    I don't use/have outlook but that's good info to know. It is now technically July 5th and july 4th messages still exist. So it looks like we have the culprit: message setting, keep messages forever is bugged and acts like 30 day setting. How this bug made it into an official release is baffling. But 6 months is close enough to forever. I never care about messages that old or older.

07-04-08 11:23 PM
    It appears to happen everyday. I just checked now not quite 2 hours into technically being the 4th and July 3rd messages are all gone.

The same thing has been happening to me on my Sprint 8330. No consistency with deletions or timeframes. Some messages may stick for weeks, others just disappear from the list after several hours. I'm just pushing a personal e-mail account to the BB. Anyone -- how can I keep this from happening?
    07-09-08 11:41 AM
    The same thing has been happening to me on my Sprint 8330. No consistency with deletions or timeframes. Some messages may stick for weeks, others just disappear from the list after several hours. I'm just pushing a personal e-mail account to the BB. Anyone -- how can I keep this from happening?
    It sounds like your problem could be memory related. What value do you show for Options/status/file free?

07-09-08 02:10 PM
    It sounds like your problem could be memory related. What value do you show for Options/status/file free?

"File Free" now shows 35373467 Bytes.
    07-10-08 04:32 PM
    Ok, so it's not your memory. You may have the same bug that's afflicted Stoneryno. If you have messages set to keep forever, try setting it to 6 months like he did and see if that helps.
    07-10-08 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD