Why would you be buying unlocked from Rogers anyway? The whole point of unlocked is to give them less money and have more freedom in device choice/carrier. In any case, no. You can't buy unlocked from Rogers. You can buy your device outright but it will still be locked. If you want it unlocked (by them) they charge you $50 for it.
    See that's the problem with the North American wireless market. People have been conditioned to think that you must buy your phone from the carrier.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-15-17 07:39 PM
    See that's the problem with the North American wireless market. People have been conditioned to think that you must buy your phone from the carrier.
    Yep. It's starting to change though. Not quite there yet, but gotta start somewhere.
    02-15-17 07:43 PM
    Why would you be buying unlocked from Rogers anyway? The whole point of unlocked is to give them less money and have more freedom in device choice/carrier. In any case, no. You can't buy unlocked from Rogers. You can buy your device outright but it will still be locked. If you want it unlocked (by them) they charge you $50 for it.
    No I probably never would, I just didn't even think Rogers offered that. The unlocked device I have is from the private electronics store.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 02-15-17 at 08:18 PM.
    02-15-17 07:55 PM
    Yep. It's starting to change though. Not quite there yet, but gotta start somewhere.
    It contrasts greatly in different regions. When I lived in fort mac people had tons of disposable income and rarely people would get a subsidy on their phones. People always seemed to buy outright and then try to negotiate a deal on their wireless agreement. And anytime a new "it" device came out people would open thier wallets and buy them without thinking. Gotta say back here in Newfoundland, probably due to the economy people rarely stray from subsidiaries. It seems everyone has the "best" phones if they just signed a contract. But if they break their device and need another before they are eligible for an upgrade they all seem to buy the cheapest thing they can get. Moto g has quite a strong presence here lol.

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    02-15-17 09:04 PM
    It contrasts greatly in different regions. When I lived in fort mac people had tons of disposable income and rarely people would get a subsidy on their phones. People always seemed to buy outright and then try to negotiate a deal on their wireless agreement. And anytime a new "it" device came out people would open thier wallets and buy them without thinking. Gotta say back here in Newfoundland, probably due to the economy people rarely stray from subsidiaries. It seems everyone has the "best" phones if they just signed a contract. But if they break their device and need another before they are eligible for an upgrade they all seem to buy the cheapest thing they can get. Moto g has quite a strong presence here lol.

Fort Mac is pumping pretty good again, I have friends going back there now.....

But ya they were notoriously known for NOT saving their money

02-15-17 09:50 PM
    Fort Mac is pumping pretty good again, I have friends going back there now.....

But ya they were notoriously known for NOT saving their money

Yea......I was one of them lol, I'm also heading back in may

02-15-17 09:55 PM
    Buy unlocked. Spare yourselves the hassle of dealing with carriers. Sure, it costs a bit more upfront but in most cases, it balances out.
    That's the only why I will get new phones buy them out right fuc* the carrier
    S all they do is screw you in the end and there already filthy Rich as it is
    02-17-17 07:52 AM
    That's the only why I will get new phones buy them out right fuc* the carrier
    S all they do is screw you in the end and there already filthy Rich as it is
    If only we all had the option to say that.... especially to Verizon!

But where I live that isn't an option, have to use Verizon's network. And while there are a couple of prepaid options out there, they just aren't as good as using Verizon themselves. But I do appreciate that Sprint and T-Mobile are putting the pressure on Verizon these days.... unlimited data is back, next maybe they'll cut their rates.

But as long as you can get a free of subsidised phone from a carrier (if you wait for the specials at launches or holidays), then overall they aren't a bad deal compared to buying outright and doing pre-paid or off contract.
    02-17-17 08:14 AM
    Back to the Mercury.The only folks who will buy it are those who want a PKB. They are going for the high end PKB market. I think BlackBerry Mobile will have a cheaper PKB eventually but first they really need a BlackBerry designed all touch available through carriers.
    02-18-17 10:09 AM
    Back to the Mercury.The only folks who will buy it are those who want a PKB. I think they will have a cheaper PKB eventually but they really need a BlackBerry designed all touch available through carriers.
    There is a lot of people out there that are still on legacy devices it may attract. A lot of people that want something different.

Carrier support, getting out there and proper marketing by BlackBerry Mobile could make this a hit. I agree tho, slab devices need to continue to roll out
    02-18-17 10:16 AM
    Never mind that this is a shell game, BM should offer a trade in for any PKB. No one else would take a PKB in as a trade in. This might appeal to 9900 / Q10/ Classic users.
    02-18-17 01:47 PM
    Rogers told me they don't care what you trade in as long as you trade something and I can get $200 off anything if I do.
    02-25-17 05:14 PM
    With Rogers it depends on what tier price plan you are on. I'm on a premium tab that gives approximately 400 device credit. I would think the Key1 will be $199 or $249 on this plan, and $49 on the premium plus, which gives an approximate $600 device credit.

Having said that I was just offered a Galaxy S7 Edge upgrade for $49 (after a $50 goodwill credit). And dang I took it.

It's this sort of deal that swings consumers, and this is what TCL is up against.
    02-25-17 08:44 PM
    I was originally told it would be about $750 cad back in December but apparently final pricing doesn't get determined until a day or 2 before official launch date.
    So, my Rogers source was pretty close. $550 usd = $720 cad. They could add a $30 premium to bump it up to $750.
    02-25-17 09:57 PM
    Hi, is the K1 confirmed on Rogers. Just got off the phone with a rep a Rogers. And she told me that the phone is not yet confirmed.
    02-28-17 07:48 PM
    Hi, is the K1 confirmed on Rogers. Just got off the phone with a rep a Rogers. And she told me that the phone is not yet confirmed.
    Well ya, it was just announced. Just going through the logistics and they'll have something by the end of the week most likely. We got more then a month until it's available anyways
    02-28-17 09:45 PM
    Considering that Rogers offers an iphone 7 for $200 right now with a trade in, I would hope it wouldn't even be more than $300......at least.

Just comparing....

Pretty sure I just saw the iPhone 7 for $0 today. The contracts for that are usually around the $80 mark. If Rogers seriously think 350 on a 2-year contract is going to fly, then they won't be moving very many devices. Niche or not, I can't see it going for any more than 150 on a 2 year.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 04:54 PM
    There is no free lunch you can pay for you phone and have a cheap plan or pay less than full price or zero and have a really expensive plan.

This is right up there with the laws of thermodynamics.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 08:40 PM
    Pretty sure I just saw the iPhone 7 for $0 today. The contracts for that are usually around the $80 mark. If Rogers seriously think 350 on a 2-year contract is going to fly, then they won't be moving very many devices. Niche or not, I can't see it going for any more than 150 on a 2 year.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I saw it on the Rogers website last night. Something about a limited time offer and getting $100 on a trade in now.

I had to pay $80 for my 5C to go on a 2 year contract with Rogers yet my buddy with Telus the next month got his 5C for $0.
    03-04-17 11:15 AM
    You have to look at the device cost and plan cost together. Features and data costs can vary. There are deals to be had but you have to do the math. You just cannot say that you got a free phone. You got a deferred payment phone.
    03-04-17 12:36 PM
    It's also dependent on where you live and plan prices etc. I can save ten dollars a month by buying outright but that's it. We get a pretty good deal through work where it only costs $55 for the plan which is 6gb data and unlimited talk and text etc. That's including the additional $10 premium I pay for having the 'free' phone.

Rogers has always been quite good at meeting my needs and has multiple times allowed me to upgrade extremely early without upgrade fees and provided a 'free' phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 02:10 PM
    There is no free lunch you can pay for you phone and have a cheap plan or pay less than full price or zero and have a really expensive plan.

This is right up there with the laws of thermodynamics.

Posted via CB10
    True, but I think comparing an iPhone 6 or 7's pricing to that of the K1 is fair game. They really shouldn't price this out of the market to start, but I'm guessing TCL has no say in the up-front cost Rogers wants to charge?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 06:36 PM
    True, but I think comparing an iPhone 6 or 7's pricing to that of the K1 is fair game. They really shouldn't price this out of the market to start, but I'm guessing TCL has no say in the up-front cost Rogers wants to charge?

Posted via CB10
    Agreed the K1 should come in at less than a 6S.
    03-05-17 08:04 PM
    It's also dependent on where you live and plan prices etc. I can save ten dollars a month by buying outright but that's it. We get a pretty good deal through work where it only costs $55 for the plan which is 6gb data and unlimited talk and text etc. That's including the additional $10 premium I pay for having the 'free' phone.

Rogers has always been quite good at meeting my needs and has multiple times allowed me to upgrade extremely early without upgrade fees and provided a 'free' phone.

Posted via CB10
    That's a pretty good deal. I just got my total bill for the first time on my new plan because I am on bring my own device and I get five gigs for $55 a month the total bill was like $61 so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm with Rogers also.
    03-08-17 12:31 AM
    I'm just glad they're getting it
    03-08-17 01:35 AM
50 12