My Rogers guy said he should be getting the Merc when they come out. Has 2 ppl waiting for it. 3 including myself lol

I told em I didn't think they'd be getting it n he said the same thing.

Apparently Rogers should be getting it tho. That's good news
    02-05-17 02:47 PM
    Great news.
    velkod likes this.
    02-05-17 02:50 PM
    My Rogers guy said he should be getting the Merc when they come out. Has 2 ppl waiting for it. 3 including myself lol

I told em I didn't think they'd be getting it n he said the same thing.

Apparently Rogers should be getting it tho. That's good news
    Yep, definitely coming to Rogers. Unconfirmed: My Rogers rep says $350 on a 2 year contract.

Don't shoot the Messenger. :S
    velkod likes this.
    02-05-17 06:01 PM
    Yep, definitely coming to Rogers. Unconfirmed: My Rogers rep says $350 on a 2 year contract.

Don't shoot the Messenger. :S
    Seems pretty high price. Meaning unlocked must be over 750. Hmm
    02-05-17 06:10 PM
    Seems pretty high price. Meaning unlocked must be over 750. Hmm
    I was originally told it would be about $750 cad back in December but apparently final pricing doesn't get determined until a day or 2 before official launch date.
    02-05-17 07:33 PM
    I hope it's not that much.
    02-05-17 07:54 PM
    Yup with those specs, not sure it will do very well at $750.
    02-05-17 08:05 PM
    Seems fairly pricey for on contract. Might be tough to convince people to shell that out for a bb when they can get the latest iPhone or samsung for far less.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 08:09 PM
    My guys says Rogers changing their upgrading system also. Can't buy n put upgrade cost on bill, gotta pay upfront to get the upgrade
    02-05-17 10:36 PM
    Yup with those specs, not sure it will do very well at $750.
    With those specs, not sure it will do very well over $499.....

But TCL has indicated that they have the corporation of most of the "major" North American Carriers... so yes I expect that we will see ones like Rogers carrying the phone. That said TCL seems to still believe there is a enterprise niche for BlackBerry and that is where they are going to be focused. Some Carriers have in the past, sold BlackBerry phones for enterprise use.... without putting those phones into retail stores and without discounted pricing. Z30 on Verizon was never in the store, and stayed a premium priced phone... up until they removed it from the lineup, same for the Classic.... but then Verizon always does things their own way.

In the end, we will just have to wait and see what TCL and Carrier's do different this time around... with BlackBerry.
    02-06-17 10:05 AM
    With those specs, not sure it will do very well over $499.....

But TCL has indicated that they have the corporation of most of the "major" North American Carriers... so yes I expect that we will see ones like Rogers carrying the phone. That said TCL seems to still believe there is a enterprise niche for BlackBerry and that is where they are going to be focused. Some Carriers have in the past, sold BlackBerry phones for enterprise use.... without putting those phones into retail stores and without discounted pricing. Z30 on Verizon was never in the store, and stayed a premium priced phone... up until they removed it from the lineup, same for the Classic.... but then Verizon always does things their own way.

In the end, we will just have to wait and see what TCL and Carrier's do different this time around... with BlackBerry.
    I agree but to clarify i was talking 750 CAD. 499 USD would be about 655 CAD.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Carjackd like this.
    02-06-17 10:10 AM
    Guess we'll see. Definitely love the look of the device and hope it lives up to expectations.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 10:14 AM
    It's crazy man, you guys want everything for almost free around here. 750?? Whoaaaa way too much. Forget that then, I'm gonna buy an iphone soon as I re-mortgage my house. BRB.

Lol ppl on here have Porsche phones!!! This is too much hahaha unreal

I'm paying w.e they tell me too and waiting for the price to drop in 6 months or so doesn't help BlackBerry as much as you guys think
    thekidshop likes this.
    02-06-17 10:15 AM
    It's crazy man, you guys want everything for almost free around here. 750?? Whoaaaa way too much. Forget that then, I'm gonna buy an iphone soon as I re-mortgage my house. BRB.

I'm paying w.e they tell me too and waiting for the price to drop in 6 months or so doesn't help BlackBerry as much as you guys think
    I don't think it's necessarily that people want it for free but I would think the majority of people are still purchasing phones with a subsidy through carriers here. If the price is higher than your flagship phones like iPhone, samsung etc it's going to be an uphill battle to get people to purchase in my opinion.

Will I be getting one? Absolutely but I'm also a die hard bb fan. Will others? Time will only tell.

Posted via CB10
    velkod likes this.
    02-06-17 10:19 AM

First of all we are talking about what the market will pay for a device with the expected specs of the Mercury.

For me, the price doesn't matter but in order for BlackBerry and TCL to consider this a success, yes a price of 750 will not likely not cut. It has been proven time and time again with BlackBerry devices.
    Last edited by ray689; 02-08-17 at 08:35 PM.
    02-06-17 10:25 AM
    Woohoo ... 3 people in line waiting!!! Going to be a huge line like the iPhone releases.

Only playing around. It is good to see that there does seem to be more interest in this device than in the past. Hopefully with the return of CBK and his crew, it is a sign that "times are a changing" and BlackBerry devices (BlackBerry Mobile) will be a hit. Probably wishful thinking, but you never know.
    02-06-17 11:07 AM
    Considering that Rogers offers an iphone 7 for $200 right now with a trade in, I would hope it wouldn't even be more than $300......at least.

Just comparing....

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-08-17 03:35 AM
    Considering that Rogers offers an iphone 7 for $200 right now with a trade in, I would hope it wouldn't even be more than $300......at least.

Just comparing....

Carrier's price is not the whole picture.... Many of them use popular devices as incentive to sign up or re-sign up customers.

Even in Enterprise (in the US), there are some phones that are heavily discounted - our company can get Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for $49 or a Galaxy S7 for free with a trade-in. So releasing a midgrade phone with a $500 retail price (just a guess), is no guarantee that it will in fact be cheaper to the customers that TCL is going after.

Now if you are a person that pays retail for phones and uses a pre-paid plan, or don't want to commit to a 2-Year Plan... yes the Mercury will be a better option than these flagship phones.

In the end I think it will really come down to who WANTS a PKB phone..... (kinda doubt even Canadian pride will pay much of a part on Rogers)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-14-17 09:48 AM
    I don't think it's necessarily that people want it for free but I would think the majority of people are still purchasing phones with a subsidy through carriers here. If the price is higher than your flagship phones like iPhone, samsung etc it's going to be an uphill battle to get people to purchase in my opinion.

Will I be getting one? Absolutely but I'm also a die hard bb fan. Will others? Time will only tell.

Posted via CB10
    Most if not all carriers in U.S. now "finance" phones. I.e. iPhone 7 128gb is approx. $30/month. But, allows you to also upgrade every yr.
    02-15-17 01:41 PM
    Most if not all carriers in U.S. now "finance" phones. I.e. iPhone 7 128gb is approx. $30/month. But, allows you to also upgrade every yr.
    I'm wondering if that will be coming to Canada. I'll admit with Rogers the majority of the time you can negotiate a pretty good deal. I generally upgrade once a year and have been getting a free phone pretty much every time while not being required to pay out the subsidy.

It shows you there must be a pretty good margin on the wireless plans themselves.
    02-15-17 01:47 PM
    I agree but to clarify i was talking 750 CAD. 499 USD would be about 655 CAD.
    I think he was talking the conversion from US to Canadian Tire dollars
    02-15-17 01:57 PM
    Buy unlocked. Spare yourselves the hassle of dealing with carriers. Sure, it costs a bit more upfront but in most cases, it balances out.
    Bbnivende and SMocek like this.
    02-15-17 03:02 PM
    Carrier's price is not the whole picture.... Many of them use popular devices as incentive to sign up or re-sign up customers.

Even in Enterprise (in the US), there are some phones that are heavily discounted - our company can get Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for $49 or a Galaxy S7 for free with a trade-in. So releasing a midgrade phone with a $500 retail price (just a guess), is no guarantee that it will in fact be cheaper to the customers that TCL is going after.

Now if you are a person that pays retail for phones and uses a pre-paid plan, or don't want to commit to a 2-Year Plan... yes the Mercury will be a better option than these flagship phones.

In the end I think it will really come down to who WANTS a PKB phone..... (kinda doubt even Canadian pride will pay much of a part on Rogers)
    Yeah that's true. My buddy is on Telus right now and he can get an iphone 7 for $0 right now on a 2 year contract, whereas I have to pay the $200 with a trade-in, so Rogers isn't all that. But at least with my older devices my plan remains $20 cheaper than if I contracted 2 years on a new iphone, etc so I think in Canada you "finance" the device by having to pay more for a more expensive plan for that 2 years.

Sidenote: I was at Costco a couple nights ago and they had a full pellet stacked pretty high with new and unlocked Galaxy S6's and the price for one was $650 Cdn!!!!! Now that's pretty steep for a 2 year old Android, even if it is unlocked IMO. In THAT situation, and if I needed a new Android unlocked NOW, I would go with a Mercury, but the price still had better be cheaper by a few hundred or they might not get rid of them.

02-15-17 07:20 PM
    Buy unlocked. Spare yourselves the hassle of dealing with carriers. Sure, it costs a bit more upfront but in most cases, it balances out.
    Does Rogers Canada even sell unlocked devices? I thought that is what Ebay and Amazon was for My 9900 was unlocked when I bought it from a private electronics store because that's what they do with ALL the devices they sell. I think unlocking from carriers is less common in Canada, but I may be wrong.....

02-15-17 07:23 PM
    Does Rogers Canada even sell unlocked devices? I thought that is what Ebay and Amazon was for My 9900 was unlocked when I bought it from a private electronics store because that's what they do with ALL the devices they sell. I think unlocking from carriers is less common in Canada, but I may be wrong.....

Why would you be buying unlocked from Rogers anyway? The whole point of unlocked is to give them less money and have more freedom in device choice/carrier. In any case, no. You can't buy unlocked from Rogers. You can buy your device outright but it will still be locked. If you want it unlocked (by them) they charge you $50 for it.
    velkod and Bbnivende like this.
    02-15-17 07:31 PM
50 12