In theory if the BlackBerry is used strictly as a phone, meaning nothing but the essentials are loaded on the phone, would memory usage ever drop more than a megabyte or two from logs and messages if I never turned the phone off?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to figure out if there's a memory leak somewhere and really do not like the idea of constant reboots and battery pulls to keep all the apps I have on the phone running happy. I want to find the !@#$er and remove it.
    02-03-10 04:34 PM
    Those of us with the 64 Mb models are very much aware of the impact on memory. Your 256 Mb model give you a bit of wiggle room.

I have built and observed just what you suggest, a minimum BlackBerry configuration with core apps only.

That resulted in nearly 32 Mb after a restart. Over the next couple days, it would use about 10 Mb where it became quite stable. That is due to the automatic memory management in Sun Java VM.

Armed with that knowledge, my current configuration starts with 18 Mb and it runs in the 5-8 Mb range for weeks without micro management.
    02-03-10 05:49 PM
    Thanks Reed McLay for your findings, as it was pretty much the answer I was looking for. What got me thinking about this in the first place was how the phone's memory would drop for no apparent reason. It would have made more sense if the drop occurred after running a program or shortly thereafter, but it didn't.
    02-04-10 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD