I recently upgraded to the AT&T 4.5.somethingsomething release of the BB OS, from the AT&T 4.2.somethingsomething which came on my phone. It works well and I like it, but it seems that the memory leak problem is way more prevalent in 4.5.

In 4.2, I had around 25mb free (I don't run a lot of apps; AstraSync is the only 3rd party app I have) but on 4.5 I can do a battery pull and watch the memory drop from 25 to 24, to 23 and 22, and to 21 mb free. When it gets to 20 mb, I do another battery pull and restart the cycle.

Is anyone else seeing more aggressive memory leakage on 4.5?
    07-03-09 10:48 AM
    In my experience, it is normal for a BlackBerry to use about 10 Mb of memory, then remain very stable at that level.

In fact, the v4.5xx software has several feature that free up additional memory. The preinstalled samples have been removed.

Most important, if you have a media card installed:

Media / Options / Device Memory Limit. Set this to 5 Mb from the 12 Mb default. That frees up 7 Mb without any impact on Media Playback.

07-03-09 10:56 AM
    Media / Options / Device Memory Limit. Set this to 5 Mb from the 12 Mb default.
    Yeah, that was one of the first things I did after the upgrade. I also set the Reserved Pictures memory to 0mb. Today it seems to be holding steady around 21mb.
    07-03-09 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD