What exactly does the cleaning do? I performed this but my memory didn't see an increase.

options > security > memory cleaning
    (O.S. 4.5.0.44)
    07-02-08 02:22 PM
    It doesn't increase your memory by any noticeable amount. It just deletes passwords and cache files. If you enable it, it runs by default every time your blackberry is quiet for 5 minutes, so the odds of you running it and seeing something change are low.
    07-02-08 02:24 PM
    It doesn't increase your memory by any noticeable amount. It just deletes passwords and cache files. If you enable it, it runs by default every time your blackberry is quiet for 5 minutes, so the odds of you running it and seeing something change are low.

Just to add, if you do any hard resets to you BB then you have to re-enable memory cleaner.
    07-02-08 02:45 PM
    Just to add, if you do any hard resets to you BB then you have to re-enable memory cleaner.
    Mine stays enabled through a battery pull, but that may be due to my IT policy.
    07-02-08 02:52 PM
    Ok, I didn't know if it was supposed to do more or what. Thanks.
    07-02-08 03:42 PM
    Mine stays enabled through a battery pull, but that may be due to my IT policy.
    I wish mine would!
    07-02-08 03:44 PM
    I wish mine would!
    That happened with every 4.5 I used. I think
    for now it's more an OS thing and dare I say
    "normal" for now.
    07-02-08 04:07 PM
    I had an icon for the memory cleaner and when I upgraded either the device software or the desktop manager, I can't find the icon. Its not hidden. How can I find/re-enable this?
    09-06-08 04:52 PM
    You have to have a password enabled (and maybe Content Protection as well) to have the Memory Cleaner program available. Since my IT Policy requires both the password and Content Protection, I can't turn off CP to see if it's required for the Memory Cleaner or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 05:39 PM
    You have to have a password enabled (and maybe Content Protection as well) to have the Memory Cleaner program available. Since my IT Policy requires both the password and Content Protection, I can't turn off CP to see if it's required for the Memory Cleaner or not.

I found it. Options, security options, memory cleaning> show icon on home screen.
    09-06-08 05:50 PM
    If you want to avoid clutter on your screen, you can enable it to run automatically when you holster your BlackBerry, or after 5 minutes of inactivity. I don't use the icon.

09-06-08 05:53 PM
    Yeah I saw that option while exploring. Thanks!
    09-06-08 06:01 PM
    does it use a lot of battery when enabled?
    02-11-09 10:58 AM
    does it use a lot of battery when enabled?
    Not that I've ever noticed. It doesn't use the radio or the screen. That's the two main power consumers.

02-11-09 11:05 AM
    today i wanted to disable it to see if my hard reset time will be much less (its almost 10 min now), so i was not able to disable, its a little lock on the disable/enable, can't find any option to get reed of that lock, anybody knows what to do?
    03-12-10 11:35 AM
    The small red lock icon means you have an IT Policy controlling your device and mandating the cleaner operation. IT Policies are typical of an employer-provided device on a BES. You should not see that on a personal device, unless you bought it used and the previous owner did not remove the IT Policy, or you installed Unite, which I believe also installs an IT Policy.

If yours is an employer-provided phone, you won't be able to do anything about that. If you remove the policy, it'll just be reapplied the next time you log in, and you could get in serious trouble for violating security. If you bought the phone used and it came with an IT policy, you can probably remove it using this procedure, created by Forums Moderator Pete6: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    03-12-10 12:03 PM
    hey JeffH, th you for response, I'm not on any BES and never installed Unite, i bought my device brand new, so i think i can leave with it, no big deal, but why right? very strange.....thx again
    03-13-10 06:31 PM
    Um...layman's terms...seems to file off the rough edges of a battery pull?
    03-13-10 06:43 PM
    The memory cleaner is harmless, but I don't know why a new from the store BlackBerry would have it locked. Have you set a password on yor device?

03-13-10 06:49 PM
    yes i did set a password for about a month ago, used with it a few hours and then disabled, that was it
    03-14-10 12:39 AM
    doesn't really make a difference I find.
    03-14-10 09:16 AM
    yes i did set a password for about a month ago, used with it a few hours and then disabled, that was it
    You could try enabling a password again, then see if you can turn off the Memory Cleaner. If so, then you can disable the password again if you don't want it. I'm a big believer in using a password though. Your friends' and family's personal, private information is in your call logs and address book. You can always get a new phone. Do you want some identity thief (or worse) having a family member's home address, phone number, or even a picture?
    03-14-10 11:21 AM
    thx Jeff, i just did enabled again password, but didn't changed anything, and yes you absolutely right about security and i think you convinced me to start using password, i think its a matter of time to get used to it, to type a password every time, but worth it i guess, that memory cleaner thing is not bothers me at all, just want ed to test reboot time with and without it enabled, thank you Jeff for you time
    03-14-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD