Hey guys,

I own a curve 8320, so it only has 64 mb or memory, not the awesome 8900. Still, couple questions.

Take a look at this picture:
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    This picture is a screenshot of the alt+caps+h thing to see how much memory i have (Around 11 mb). This is right after a battery pull. Is it me, or is the file free just...low? This picture Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting shows the apps open...only 4. If it helps, in DM @ the apps page, it says "47 mb" of apps and everything.

Next:
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    This is a picture of the shortcutme (awesome app) memory utility. Could someone explain what codestat, filefree, and persistant is?

I should say that I have a media card and all docs/pics/media is on it. My main question here is that is this normal for fellow 83xx curve users, or should I go through the memory optimization guide. If it is only a couple mb...I don't have the time to go through the hassle.

Thanks!
    08-26-09 03:01 AM
    is that is this normal for fellow 83xx curve users, or should I go through the memory optimization guide....
    Your 64 mb Curve has adaqute memory for normal use, after the pre-installed sample video, music, background images and corportate specific software has been removed.

The other factor is your device OS software and memory allocation settings you have in place.

In your case, you will not be using Email, Messaging or any third party applications that use data and create tempory workspace.

Should you optimize your memory? Yes, particularly if you still have the original v4.2xx software installed. The Reserved Memory Limit is 12 Mb, that is where low memory issues will begin.

If you have upgraded to v4.5, the samples are already removed and the DML has been reduced to 5 Mb. I would still advise the optimization.
    08-26-09 09:09 AM
    I have 4.5, no samples or anything. When you say reduced to 5...what does that mean?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 12:05 PM
    Media / Options. Device Memory Limit can be set to 5 Mb in v4.5xx.

This setting reserves memory for media use and is the lower limit for automatic memory management in Sun Java.
    08-26-09 12:41 PM
    Thanks. If I do a mem op, how much additional mem do you think I can sqeeze?

08-26-09 08:16 PM
    Well...I just did it and got 1 mb outof it. Thanks for your help anyways. My startup is around 12 now, and using browser etc it goes to around 3

08-26-09 09:09 PM
    Holy moley!!

How many apps do you have installed? I have a 8330 with quite a few apps myself and I start up at around 50mb and drop to around 42mb after a days worth of use.

08-26-09 09:40 PM
    im running 57mb free on my 8330... she runs at about 57,1xx,xxx and boots up at about 57,7xx,xxx

i went nuts optimizing though
    08-27-09 12:17 AM
    Wtf......I only have 2 themes, a dictionary, couple small kb apps, and docs to go. Opera too.

08-27-09 12:33 AM
    download maxmem from blackberrytrade.com on your phone... works like a charm, delete everything it allows you to
    08-27-09 12:42 AM
    shows the apps open...only 4. If it helps, in DM @ the apps page, it says "47 mb" of apps and everything.
    Apps take up space whether they are running or not. If there's stuff you don't use, delete the app and you will free up memory.

64-47=the space you have left for running apps+free memory
    08-27-09 12:51 AM
    I'm not sure if its true for all 8330's, but the 100+ we got all had 96MB of memory. All the 8310's we had, even new ones, only came with 64MB.
    08-27-09 12:53 AM
    I unfortunaetly use them all

I guess ill try a clean jlcmder wipe and see how it goes fresh. Then nitpick my way in.

could someone please inform me about the codestat ram etc...?

08-27-09 01:36 AM
    I unfortunaetly use them all
    me too...
    ooo....
    sometimes make me crazy..

08-27-09 09:53 AM
    I'm not sure if its true for all 8330's, but the 100+ we got all had 96MB of memory. All the 8310's we had, even new ones, only came with 64MB.
    Correct. I have quick pull set every morning and right now I have just over 14 free. This is with me deleting as much as i could off the phone. The 8320's come with half the avail mem as the 8330's unfortunately
    08-27-09 10:05 AM
    Ok I jus confirmed its not my problem. Agter a fresh install of the os (jlcmder), I have 28. I installed docs to go, pdf to go, msdict, language pack, theme, and 6 apps (opera, fake my call, berryannoying, shortcutne, logicmail, instango). I'm down to 16, and it stays there.

08-27-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD