View Poll Results: Is Blackberry memory allocation (or lack thereof) a problem for you?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Major problem-I will leave Blackberry and risk penalty

1 3.13%
  • Serious-It is an annoyance and will leave Blackberry when my contract is up

5 15.63%
  • Minor problem-annoyance, but the workarounds are sufficient

4 12.50%
  • Not a problem-it is a non-issue for me

22 68.75%
    I've said this in one form or another in other threads, but if Blackberry/RIM doesn't fix the memory allocation problem (and no, increasing memory from 128MB in the 9530 to 256MB in the 9550, constantly closing apps that are not in use, or pulling the battery are not solutions) then I will be leaving the Blackberry flock when my contract is up, or sooner if possible without penalty.

I am just totally surprised that no one has yet come up with a "fix" for the allocation problem, or lack of allocation problem, whether authorized or not.

Just like that fellow who found a way to break the iPhone's tie to AT&T, why hasn't someone been able to do that with Blackberries memory allocation problem? I used to work in IT and was constantly monitoring and tweaking memory to optimize a system for changing user needs.

As a former techno-geek and current business owner I know what capabilities should exist in technical devices and when they don't, that becomes a problem.
    05-28-10 08:21 AM
    Whats a "memory allocation" problem?
    05-28-10 08:45 AM
    If you knew this then why sign up for the contract with BlackBerrys? Since you are the business owner, you have/had the choice to research before signing up and clearly see what the flaws with BlackBerrys are but chose to get them(it) anyway
    05-28-10 09:02 AM
    lol, I was thinking the same thing...
    05-28-10 10:09 AM
    I am doing just fine with my MOP'ed up 64 Mb BlackBerry. What memory allocation problem?
    05-28-10 10:17 AM
    Even when I had a 64mb Pearl 8100 this was a non issue. I installed a ton of apps,
    had several that loaded at startup and rarely pulled the battery or felt it lag.

Fast forward to the Bold 9700, I have twice as many apps (50), 6 are resident in
    memory (an important distinction - resident does NOT mean in use. They only
    really consume memory when I call on them), and still never lag, still never pull
    my battery.

I have and never had any issues. Been using Reed's MOP since he
    wrote it and all is good.
    05-28-10 12:02 PM
    ===== QUOTE Shao128 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Same here! I delete the stuff I don't use and have plenty of space for the apps I do use.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-28-10 03:12 PM
    Same here! I delete the stuff I don't use and have plenty of space for the apps I do use.
    That is the key. After paring the OS down I have fifty apps and am sitting on
    a very cushy 106mb file free.
    05-28-10 03:26 PM
    On my Tour I put .643 and it even has 100MB free with my usual repertoire of apps (Google Maps/Sync/Mail/Voice, Opera, Weather Channel, and a couple others). I like my phone and just am bummed it won't be upgradable to OS 6.
    05-28-10 07:27 PM
    OK, folks, here's the deal. I just took a picture of the screen on my 9530 and uploaded the picture to my website: www dot kahnlandscaping dot com/bbmemory.jpg. Notice application memory has 4.8MB free, yet device memory has 867.1MB free. To me, it seems a design flaw that on an advanced device such as this, one can't allocate more or less device memory to applications based on one's need.

Now if you disagree or you think I am doing something wrong, something to exacerbate the problem, or just plain "don't get it" so be it. I was hoping to get answers so I don't have to go elsewhere. That was my motivation.

Sorry to bother you.
    05-29-10 04:58 AM
    Forget about the hundreds of megabytes device (storage) memory, that is like a solid state hard disk for music, pictures, whatever you want to put there.

I didn't check your screenshot but I assume you can copy an easy number like 4.8 so I believe you. That suggests you have a problem of some kind - either too many (probably unnecessary) installed applications, or a buggy app which is grabbing memory and never releasing it - a memory leak.

My advice is to do a battery pull to reboot the device, then re-check free apps memory. I'll bet it goes well up, probably close to 50 Mbytes.
    05-29-10 05:49 AM
    OK, folks, here's the deal. I just took a picture of the screen on my 9530 and uploaded the picture to my website: www dot kahnlandscaping dot com/bbmemory.jpg. Notice application memory has 4.8MB free, yet device memory has 867.1MB free. To me, it seems a design flaw that on an advanced device such as this, one can't allocate more or less device memory to applications based on one's need.

Now if you disagree or you think I am doing something wrong, something to exacerbate the problem, or just plain "don't get it" so be it. I was hoping to get answers so I don't have to go elsewhere. That was my motivation.

Sorry to bother you.
    It's not that it is a bother but this subject gets discussed at least every other day on here. Your Device Memory cannot be used/swapped with your App Memory. Every person here would love more App Memory space. For now we all have to learn how to manage what we have.

1. Make sure to close your apps properly. Press the Blackberry key and select close or exit.
    2. Delete any unused apps.
    3. Certain apps just leak memory. Viigo and Blackberry App World are two apps that leak on my Bold.
    4. Some themes leak App Memory.
    5. Learn to load the latest OS using Shrink-A-OS, where you can remove things you don't need (sample music, ringtones, images, languages, etc.). You wil gain an extra 10-15 mb right there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD