If memory is such an issue, why doesn't blackberry build devices that can handle the current apps that people want?

I'm just asking.....
    03-26-09 07:19 AM
    they are building better devices with more memory and it isn't that the phones can't handle the apps it is that the apps are third party so they are not regulated and no quality control can be placed into effect like the iphone and it's app store since you download through apple they make sure there are no memory leaks. BBs can handle a great deal and will function much better once the app world is working because RIM will be able to instate quality control. another issue is people often forget they are using a mini pc basically so it needs to be reset and have it programs closed properly as well as a routine cleanup of the garbage files created by various use for the phone to run. so this isn't so much a hardware issue anymore just a software issue. i think the best thing possible is if RIM allowed you to install apps to a seperate portion of the memory or even the media card. and i know there are apps for this but it would be smart if RIM got behind it.
    03-26-09 07:45 AM
    yes you are correct. that would be a nice solution until the software catches up. I have a large memory card, but all it has is music and photos. It would be great if we could install apps on it.
    03-26-09 11:47 AM
    another issue is people often forget they are using a mini pc basically so it needs to be reset and have it programs closed properly as well as a routine cleanup of the garbage files created by various use for the phone to run. so this isn't so much a hardware issue anymore just a software issue.
    So true! I've seen customers come in, with no memory but text messages from forever ago.

I use my Curve and my World...my Curve has never once been below 30mb. And thats with Twitterberry, facebook, yahoo on there. The World doesn't come with as much memory so I really only keep Twitterberry on there and I still have a good chunk of memory.

Little things will keep your memory in tact.
    03-26-09 01:03 PM
    A decade ago, when Research in Motion was sourcing the components for a BlackBerry, 64 Mb was clearly enough for any future expansion needs. That was more memory then most desktop users had available.

That led to the selection of an embedded processor, based on the same technical design as the Apple computer, among others.

What happened? More addressable space means more sophisticated software and applications. Before long, 64 Mb was barely able to manage.

The Bold is the first of a new generation, the old 64 Mb memory limit is history. Future designs will be delivered with multi Gb of addressable memory.

That should solve all the problems.
    03-26-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD