It seems to me that the naysayers around here really haven't given a full touch device much consideration, or tried it on an older device whose screens don't compare to what we have today.
    Right....I tried the iP3GS for 30 days, but that was such an old device that it's ancient. And 30 days is actually presumably not a long enough time. But that's all I had before being stuck with it. So I had my 9800 for a year and then I had my 9810 for three months before returning to using the Atrix that I had for months before giving it away and that I now got back and still have. The Atrix, of course, also being an ancient device as is the 9810 on which screen I never typed because I simply don't like it. And yes, of course, there is the 9930 on whose keyboard I currently type on because as is my preference I feel that it kills the Atrix touchscreen.

So I can consider the iP3GS ancient, but I did give it a month before returning it, and I used the Torch for a full year and two months before returning to the Atrix. Which is a year old. And which I still use for anything other than typing because I simply don't prefer it.

Two days ago I typed a message on FB on the Atrix. I'm multilingual and I have the language set as English UK. So to type in anything other than English UK I have to go and change the language or simply select on each and every single word to say yes, this is in fact what I want to say. Well, if the damned thing didn't change all the words I'd been trying to type in a language other than English UK into English UK. Which resulted in gibberish. My friend and I had a fun time of it. But it is a nuisance.

I prefer a physical keyboard. I did, I have, and I am giving virtual ample time. I still do not prefer them.

And learning to type on a Qwerty was an easier transition for me coming from a regular keyboard than it is a virtual one, particularly when auto correct and correcting typos or what the OS interprets to be typos.

It is neither right nor wrong. It is a *preference.*
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 11-12-11 at 04:01 PM.
    11-12-11 03:55 PM
    Excuse me.....I'm a 50yo CEO....if I could get OS7 on a Galaxy S2, I'd freakin jump on it. Not sure about anyone else, but I think the GS2 touch screen keypad is awesome. I could as easily reply to emails with it, as I could, (use to) on the 9k/9900 keypad. Gimme the full touch screen and 5 "function" buttons.......I'm in fat city!!!
    I am the opposite. I stayed with RIM as long as I did for the real keyboard. That said, much as love RIM keyboards, I hate BIS and I am not too impressed with OS 7. It's really juts OS 6 but a bit faster.
    11-12-11 08:28 PM
    RIM's physical keyboard has been copied by most in the business, Its far from obsolete!
    11-12-11 09:31 PM
    You do realize that a full touch device is just one giant trackpad, right? Would you rather have that small .3" trackpad or a 4"+ trackpad?

I find that with my 9900 my trackpad doesn't get used at all, I touch the screen instead. That transition happened about two days after I got the 9900 once I figured out the screen was so much nicer to use then the trackpad ever was.

It seems to me that the naysayers around here really haven't given a full touch device much consideration, or tried it on an older device whose screens don't compare to what we have today. I used to be like that until I spent a few days with my friend's SGS II and now I know that the 9900 is the last BlackBerry I will own with the physical keyboard, and I am a fairly 'heavy' user. The extra screen real estate is very nice and onscreen keyboards really aren't that bad once you get used to them. You had to learn how to type on the BB keyboard once too, remember?
    Well, that's just you. I own a ip4 for almost a year from now and a playbook for 3 month. I still hate to type on virtual keyboard, if it wasn't for those scary bricked 9900 stories, I will literally smash my ip4 into the ground and get a 9900 tomorrow.
    11-13-11 12:30 AM
    There's no way RIM's ditching the keyboard. I don't understand how anyone can think they would ditch it. If you read Alec's comments, he's only talking about the launch device (probably so they can get the QNX phones out faster).
    11-13-11 12:53 AM
    There's no way RIM's ditching the keyboard. I don't understand how anyone can think they would ditch it. If you read Alec's comments, he's only talking about the launch device (probably so they can get the QNX phones out faster).
    This is a great idea!

We all know RIM is world renowned for getting things done both quick and right...cough *Storm*cough*PlayBook...
    11-13-11 01:38 AM
    I find it interesting when this conversation comes up that those of us who prefer keyboards find it necessary to defend a preference.
    It's a preference, folks. We all have them. Those of us who prefer keyboards are no less tech savvy, not older, not less intelligent. We prefer them. Much in the same way that some of us prefer Pepsi over Coke or Honda over Toyota.
    We don't want to spend precious time correcting typing errors. If I've got an email to send out I want to do it with the least possible hassle, not having to argue with spell check or having to place the cursor in precisely the right spot after having to zoom and pinch to get it right.
    I don't like typing on my Atrix because of it. I didn't like it on my Torch because of it. The iP3GS drove me to drink.
    I find it equally interesting that when this issue comes up we hear about how only "kids", "non-CEOs", people interested in "apps" and "games" use full touch keyboards. And how it's not possible to be as productive on touchscreen device as one that has a keyboard on it. You're right, it is a preference, but it's annoying to constantly read about all of these so-called shortcomings of touchscreen devices as of they were facts when in really it's preferences.
    11-13-11 05:01 AM
    Personally, I find it a hindrance. Now, admittedly, a full touchscreen lends itself more readily towards games simply because of the screen real estate. So naturally gamers would gravitate towards a larger screen therefore a full touchscreen. Therefore, there is a correlation between touchscreen and gaming and therefore people who are more interested in gaming, which might be younger users. I said *might.* But one would reasonably expect so.
    The higher grades managers I work with carry two phones - a work issued BB on BES and a secondary device, which sometimes is a full touchscreen. On those, they have the usual games.
    As far as apps, it would be ludicrous to say that App World contains the same amount of apps. What I find in App World are more the productivity, banking and such basic apps. Therefore, given the lesser number of game apps, and given that most BBerries have physical keyboards, there is a correlation between BB users having less games and more productivity apps. So by virtue of there being less games on App World, most BB users download productivity type apps.
    Additionally, since the BB is currrently the only platform to be FIPS certified, most CEOs and government high grade officials who are on BES would naturally carry BB since it's the only platform allowed behind government firewalls. For this reason, one would see more secure organisations and the federal government with users who use physical keyboards and because they use BBerries and BBerries are predominantly keyboards, one could make the argument that those CEOs and government issued devices would be BBerries with physical keyboards with a lesser prevalence of games and more productivity tools.
    There is some truth to the stereotype.
    I also prefer Honda over Toyota. Pepsi over Coke. Team Edward over Team Jacob.
    11-13-11 06:57 AM
    I completely agree with the article in this matter. 100%. I was already thinking about this - in relation to the new BBX phones - and I can't imagine what I would do if they stopped making keyboards, I would be lost, honestly, lost.

By the way, this message was typed on my Bold 9900 keyboard, not my PlayBook's pathetic touch-screen keyboard. It's not just the PlayBook, any, and all, virtual keyboard I used was pathetic in comparison to a physical one. Touch screen is for browsing, keyboard is for typing.

Even when I owned a Torch, I used the slider so much that it was worn out (remember that white stuff that came off the N64 controller's joystick? I had that).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 11:06 AM
    It all comes down to preference as it is stated. No one option is better than the other. The only thing I will say is that in my opinion, physical keyboards will always be more accurate and faster to enter text than a touch screen keyboard.

I think touch screen keyboards will improve, but dare I say it - until the haptic feedback is better, physical will always remain the best option!

I read a review for - I believe - and HTC Windows Phone and I am sure the review said that the virtual keyboard was good but not for writing out long messages. Which is something I agree with, if all I did was apps, gaming, videos, and short messages I probably would have a touch screen phone.

I still think that RIM are never going to abandon their keyboards, maybe the form factors will be slightly bigger to allow for a bigger screen but a quality keyboard is here to stay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 11:33 AM
    Memo to everyone - physical keyboards are obsolete. It should still be offered as some people still like that form factor, but a Bold style model can no longer be the flagship device.
    Hmm... try making a phone call from an Android or iPhone.

Provided your house isnt on fire there should be no problem in waiting for the call to kick in
    11-13-11 12:44 PM
    LOL... I have tried typing on a tablet keyboard... completely different experience than on a 4-inch handheld device.

I wouldn't go back to a physical keyboard if you paid me. Can't believe I didn't try one sooner... but then again, the Storm put me off them for quite a while.

"Choice" is good though, and RIM is doing what it needs to provide customers with just that: choice.
    11-13-11 03:03 PM
    Hmm... try making a phone call from an Android or iPhone.
    My wife's 4S seems to work fine, and the handful of Android users I know are happy (they're on Verizon, which certainly helps).
    11-13-11 05:08 PM
    There's no way RIM will not release a Physical keyboard BBX device.
    It make sense to launch with a glass slab; aka small PB.

If RIM doesn't release a 9900/97XX BBX device by the middle of 2012; I'll organise a night on the town in Winnipeg with Crackberry Kevin, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley & Elvis for all of us.....
    11-14-11 08:47 AM
    Not sure what's so special about the physical keyboard, my niece gave me her BB to set up and I tried to type on the keyboard, the keys are soo small I have to use my finger nails to type. I find typing on my storm much easier.
    If RIM decides to remove it, good riddance. Touch is the way to go
    11-14-11 09:19 AM
    There's no way RIM will not release a Physical keyboard BBX device.
    It make sense to launch with a glass slab; aka small PB.

If RIM doesn't release a 9900/97XX BBX device by the middle of 2012; I'll organise a night on the town in Winnipeg with Crackberry Kevin, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley & Elvis for all of us.....

Damn....so now I don't know whether I want the keyboard by the end of 2012 or not. This sounds like one **** of a party.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-14-11 11:46 AM
    Personally I think a BBX device with a bold form factor by mid 2012 is wildly optimistic. I'll be surprised if they can manage a workable BBX device of any kind by mid 2012.

And by workable I don't mean a half baked device like the playbook was at launch.
    11-14-11 11:51 AM
    Full touch, Qwerty keyboard, no keyboard, no touch, man there are so many rumours. Just take it as a grain of salt. if there is a touch only release (curve touch (coming soon), torch 9850/60 already are), then soon a qwerty one will follow. No need to say it's the end for rim, just enjoy and appreciate what you have, be glad you have SOMETHING that allows you to communicate (voice/audio/video, whatever you can do) and don't complain. Only complain if it stops working or if it got stolen. Edit: it's not wise to RUSH a company to build a quality product. Just have patience and enjoy what you have. Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 11-14-11 at 03:32 PM.
    11-14-11 03:29 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I currently have a bar phone and I can't type for s*** with it. I surely miss the BB keyboard. The second RIM releases full QWERTY BBX superphone I'll be there in line to get it. I get it why they are first releasing a bar phone to compete and get the attention from other but I doubt they'll be abandoning their bread and butter niche. It should be release shortly after the first BBX.
    11-14-11 05:44 PM
    Apples keyboard works well.....it can be done.
    11-14-11 06:15 PM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD