I think BlackBerry cut all their losses on the last ER, and Chen has been great at getting BlackBerry out of the limelight.

It was cool to bash BlackBerry, so Chen removed them from the masses and has made great inroads in building quiet optimism.

Once this is accomplished, the only people who are interested in following/researching BlackBerry is the tech sector. Not a bunch of hipsters trying to make a quick, easy buck on the easy target.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    01-22-14 11:57 AM
    Again what new purchase.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-14 12:00 PM
    So this Phandroid source is saying the US Pentagon purchase is a bailout of a Canadian - domiciled company?

Jeez......

Posted via CB10
    There is no purchase. What the Pentagon announced to roll out is a new infrastructure, so the thing the devices get hooked up to is the point. The 80,000 BlackBerrys and 1,800 iOS and Android devices they plan to hook up over the course of January are 'old' devices the Pentagon had already deployed before. So all we can say at this point, is that the devices they 'try out first' are 98% BlackBerry devices.

BUT it's still a fact that BB10 is the only smartphone platform that got that certain security level certification. Now if that will lead to actual adoption and device purchases at all, and if yes to how many devices in particular, remains to be seen. I for one would love to see a massive purchase of brand new BB10 devices placed by the DoD and I want all the naysayers to swallow it hard.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-14 12:01 PM
    Not saying its true or not, but its usually 50 years later when we (the general public) finds out about any so called conspiracy. If it is or isn't, truth is always stranger than fiction, and a naked truth is always running trying to catch a well clothed lie.
    It doesn't take 50 years to learn about conspiracies involving the media, since generally some member of the media would break the conpsiracy. After all, a story regarding the involvement of Apple or Microsoft in any type of "conspiracy" would be much bigger than how the Z10 is selling or what the next Galaxy feature set will be. So, since no such conpsiracy has ever been established, you'd have to believe that Apple and Microsoft have a 100% success rate in terms of approaching media companies and securing their cooperation. (This isn't a James Bond movie. You don't get to just "disappear" the people that pass.)

Meanwhile, neither Apple nor Microsoft can keep what happens inside their own headquarters a secret, much less what's happening at other entities. Anything is possible, but a conpiracy against a company that is struggling to sell its own legacy customers on its latest products? Seriously?
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-14 01:01 PM
    Again what new purchase.
    Pentagon buys 800,000 BlackBerry phones
    01-22-14 01:46 PM
    One more time. What new purchase?
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-14 01:49 PM
    The media loves bad news. They think it sells. iPhone antenna doesn't work if you hold the phone a certain way and Jobs' response is "don't hold it that way" - international news sensation. BB sales tank, business news story. BB stock moving up or Apple's "boring" iPhone 5S breaking their previous sales records, not a news item. It isn't a conspiracy in either case. It is how things have always worked.

There is an old story from the newspaper days. A new reporter at a small town local paper writes his first story and gives it to the editor. It is about a dog biting a man. The editor reads it and throws it across the desk at the reporter and says, "this isn't news". The dejected reporter says, "well what would be news". The editor replies, "when a man bites a dog, write a story about it". That probably predates Blackberry by 50 years or more. You aren't discovering a conspiracy, you are seeing how the world works through the microscopic prism of one company you know and care about. And compared to the $3-$5 trillion dollars and 10s of thousands of lives spent following media hysterics about weapons of mass destruction, it is an awfully small prism.
    01-22-14 01:56 PM
    One more time. What new purchase?
    "Late last week, the Pentagon announced it would purchase 80,000 BlackBerry smartphones that will be the primary device supported on a new military network as part of a mobility push."

Media Silence! What Gives?-bang-head-wall.gif
    01-22-14 02:53 PM
    "Late last week, the Pentagon announced it would purchase 80,000 BlackBerry smartphones that will be the primary device supported on a new military network as part of a mobility push."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bang-head-on-wall.gif 
Views:	312 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	240775
    Not quite. As it turns out, the deal is for 80,000 "new and old" BBRY devices. They're not purchasing any devices, but rather are simply adding devices to their MDM. More details available at the following semi-reliable source:

Pentagon will hook up 80,000 BlackBerry devices beginning on January 31 | CrackBerry.com
    01-22-14 03:07 PM
    Not quite. As it turns out, the deal is for 80,000 "new and old" BBRY devices. They're not purchasing any devices, but rather are simply adding devices to their MDM. More details available at the following semi-reliable source:

Pentagon will hook up 80,000 BlackBerry devices beginning on January 31 | CrackBerry.com
    So I guess that means NONE of them are being purchased ..... ok.
    01-22-14 03:14 PM
    I think BlackBerry cut all their losses on the last ER, and Chen has been great at getting BlackBerry out of the limelight.

It was cool to bash BlackBerry, so Chen removed them from the masses and has made great inroads in building quiet optimism.

Once this is accomplished, the only people who are interested in following/researching BlackBerry is the tech sector. Not a bunch of hipsters trying to make a quick, easy buck on the easy target.
    This.

Chen did a pretty good job of laying out his intents, then pretty much said "But don't expect to see anything anytime soon" which pretty much cuts off any unusual amount of scrutiny until sometime near the end of 2014. A tactic BBRY has needed to take for quite some time.
    Laura Knotek, Elite1 and JeepBB like this.
    01-22-14 03:20 PM

Not only that but jeepbb pointed out in another thread that the pentagon's Mdm solution is not supplied by blackberry.
    01-22-14 03:22 PM
    So I guess that means NONE of them are being purchased ..... ok.
    Correct. Plenty of devices have been purchased previously, but this particular announcement doesn't involve any device purchase.
    01-22-14 03:28 PM
    Just wait to 10.2.1 then people moan about carriers not pushing it out but then again here in the UK with EE network never had a problem its really not hard to send a update out...

C002C4374 HD wallpapers
    01-22-14 03:36 PM
    Was watching CBC national news last night to see what they had to say on the sudden stock jump for BlackBerry...well, the only thing they had was a downer blurb on beleaguered BlackBerry selling off its real estate holdings.
    Can't get a break from the in country media!

Flicked out via Zed10
    01-22-14 04:36 PM
    Cheer up! Here is a negative story on BB. Really negative. So maybe the media is just on a bit of a post holiday break.
    01-22-14 04:41 PM
    Not only that but jeepbb pointed out in another thread that the pentagon's Mdm solution is not supplied by blackberry.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (no experience in finances whatsoever), but didn't the company that supplied the MDM solution have a collaboration with BlackBerry to bring it out for the Pentagon?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:15 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong (no experience in finances whatsoever), but didn't the company that supplied the MDM solution have a collaboration with BlackBerry to bring it out for the Pentagon?

Posted via CB10
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Here is the press release from the company:

"Fixmo Selected to Provide Mobile Security and Data Protection Solutions to U.S. Department of Defense as Part of $16M MDM Contract"

http://fixmo.com/fixmo-selected-prov...t-defense-part
    eldricho likes this.
    01-22-14 05:19 PM
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Here is the press release from the company:

"Fixmo Selected to Provide Mobile Security and Data Protection Solutions to U.S. Department of Defense as Part of $16M MDM Contract"

http://fixmo.com/fixmo-selected-prov...t-defense-part
    Ah. I see where I saw it wrong. They worked together to bring it to BlackBerry 10, so it could be used by the DoD too. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:30 PM
    Ah. I see where I saw it wrong. They worked together to bring it to BlackBerry 10, so it could be used by the DoD too. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    If that is true the Pentagon is looking for deploying BB10 devices in the future.

@FFR

You drive me insane dude. I NEVER EVER saw you contributing something worthwhile to a conversation on CB. It seems to be your personal mission to disprove anything that seems remotely positive for BlackBerry.

The DoD stuff aside, what if I told you that BlackBerrys MDM solution userbase (companies, not individual devices) is more than three times bigger than that of its three biggest competitors in the space combined? What do you say now? Will you post a few 2013 article links of single companies abandoning BlackBerry phones?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:57 PM
    If that is true the Pentagon is looking for deploying BB10 devices in the future.

@FFR

You drive me insane dude. I NEVER EVER saw you contributing something worthwhile to a conversation on CB. It seems to be your personal mission to disprove anything that seems remotely positive for BlackBerry.

The DoD stuff aside, what if I told you that BlackBerrys MDM solution userbase (companies, not individual devices) is more than three times bigger than that of its three biggest competitors in the space combined? What do you say now? Will you post a few 2013 article links of single companies abandoning BlackBerry phones?

Posted via CB10
    I would ask you to define 3x.

Then I would ask you to list the three competitors you claim bb eclipses.

FYI: if something was really positive there would be no way for me or anyone else to disprove it. The fact that it can be disproven proves the fallacy.

So my question to you is why spread misinformation?
    It only hurts blackberry, when the truth comes out.

Case in point:
    "BlackBerry hit with shareholder lawsuitAccused of misleading investors on financial strength"

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.1913852
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-14 06:16 PM
    It's because some people actually believe that the media got together and hatched a conspiracy against BBRY and somehow managed to keep it a secret from everyone except a few astute commenters on BBRY fan sites.
    Bull Imo BlackBerry was an easy target so the media shredded them like they have all other weaklings and like that weak little kid in school BlackBerry did nothing to defend themselves.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:06 AM
    lets not forget something. last time Thors came on board and said this and that and the stock went up to 14 or 16 i forgot, but when its time to put up or shut the stock tanked. dont be so happy just because ppl are pushin the stock over 10 dollars. it still doesnt mean the company is in good shape or ppl start buying their phones.
    01-23-14 11:17 AM
    Then I would ask you to list the three competitors you claim bb eclipses.
    Good Technology
    Airwatch
    MobileIron

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 11:55 AM
    Good Technology
    Airwatch
    MobileIron
    Interesting. Do you have figures to accompany those names, and corresponding numbers for BES10?

The only numbers I've heard for BES10 are the (meaninglessly vague) ones where they lump together commercial installations and Test installations without quantifying how many companies are actually paying for a service.
    01-23-14 12:02 PM
56 123