For the same reason that the media has always considered negative events "news", but positive events not worth reporting. A plane crash is news. All the flights that arrive safely? Not news. BlackBerry is currently the plane crash.

A sad comment on human nature (in a number of ways).
    Why then no reporting of the failings of the finger scanner on iPhone 5s. What happened to the coverage of factory conditions in China. Where is the coverage on Android devices being hacked where users lost their information? That was covered in NPR but I did not see that on TV. None of these really made much traction but news about BlackBerry makes weekly appearances.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    12-06-13 08:04 AM
    Why then no reporting of the failings of the finger scanner on iPhone 5s. What happened to the coverage of factory conditions in China. Where is the coverage on Android devices being hacked where users lost their information? That was covered in NPR but I did not see that on TV. None of these really made much traction but news about BlackBerry makes weekly appearances.
    Wow.

Perspective is everything. Apple and Google get EXPONENTIALLY more bad press than BBRY, but I doubt that some people here will ever concede that.
    12-06-13 08:08 AM

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    All those things were in the news but improvements are made and they fade away. Blackberry's huge downward spiral has been going on for a few years with no sign of a reversal. That, I believe, is the difference.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    12-06-13 09:30 AM
    I disagree. The poor sales are due mostly to the negative media

Friends of mine bash Blackberry without doing any research. And they all have the same arguments:
    Didn't blackberry go bankrupt?
    Blackberry sucks because Apple's the best
    They're cheaply made, the operating system is outdated
    (Enter any regurgitated media article here)
    That's partly human nature as well. We may hear or read something once or twice, and all of a sudden it becomes fact in our minds, sometimes with our own spin added to it, that is applicable to all. For lack of a better word, it's like mobile brand stereotyping.

But for every bit of incorrect information being perpetuated about BlackBerry, I see the same phenomenon happening when members here talk about some other mobile platforms. It's not something unique to BlackBerry. We're a little more sensitive to anything BlackBerry related though because this is after all a BlackBerry centric site.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-06-13 09:38 AM
    As horrible as it is a plane crash is a one time event. BBRY is an ongoing anomaly.
    Agreed. RIM/BBRY's descent has been going on for years and if you can look at it objectively, it has been quite a story so far.

To be honest OP, you like BBRY so you see the news that center around it. If you were a fan of Nokia you would have been painfully aware of all the media abuse during its slide from the biggest phone seller to essentially being sold (only the cellular division, mind) as a subsidiary of Microsoft, all its custom OS scattered to the winds, witnessed the blow to national pride. But what looked like a disaster is actually helping them and media interest is slowly reversing and picking up for them as Nokia handsets are doing better. What is important to realize, I think, is that Nokia/MS have been doing this through their own efforts. If BBRY can get their act together ( seriously, they must) and start delivering real improvement, them I think you will see media reports improve as well.
    TgeekB, ray689, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    12-06-13 09:42 AM
    I guess you're right, there has been a few somewhat optimistic articles. I guess it just seems like it's never ending because people seem to jump on the negative and post it in here every chance they get.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^ This. And it's exactly why I hardly ever visit CB any more. The same relative few seem to get giddy over rubbing people's noses in the bad news, over and over and over. Who needs it.
    ray689 and jh07 like this.
    12-06-13 11:38 AM
    Wow.

Perspective is everything. Apple and Google get EXPONENTIALLY more bad press than BBRY, but I doubt that some people here will ever concede that.
    I think that a lot of people who are sympathetic to blackberry are oblivious to how they filter what they read and how they feel and react to it. So, assuming you are correct, you would never be able to convince them of it. It's like when someone insults your kid versus other kids. Thus, the number of negative blackberry articles seem much greater, and the impact of those articles is felt stronger.

Even in this thread (and all over crackberry) you see this phenomenon. Conspiracy theories. Illogical rationalizations. Etc.

I posted a very simple truth. That the media loves to report negative things. Yet some posters tried to poke holes in what I said by nitpicking. They just refuse to accept a simple explanation and prefer a "the media has it in for BlackBerry ". Now, I'm not saying that the Canadian aspect isn't one part of it. It is. But the main reason is simply because blackberry is an easy target because it's been in trouble for quite some time. It's a pile on. The media collectively acts like a bully. Doesn't matter if it's charlie sheen or bbry. When Robert Downey junior was in trouble for quite a few years, it was splashed everywhere. The media gets off on this. When he turned it around, he's still in the news, but not nearly as much. It's just not front page worthy to be sober like it is to be an addict in trouble. Sad, but that's the way it is. And it's a very sick part of human nature, but many people get pleasure from other people's pain and difficulty. True for businesses as well. Look at how many people ENJOY posting negative things about BlackBerry or rob ford or anything / anyone else!

So it comes as no surprise at all that we see this with BlackBerry. I've seen it with many companies.
    12-07-13 06:31 AM
    All those things were in the news but improvements are made and they fade away. Blackberry's huge downward spiral has been going on for a few years with no sign of a reversal. That, I believe, is the difference.
    Bingo. They still smell the blood in the water.
    12-07-13 06:32 AM
33 12