If you need any proof of the media and bloggers reporting without doing their homework, check out how rampantly the photoshopped RIM QNX 'Colt' phone has made it's way into virtually every article about the proposed upcoming device.

I must have seen 100 different articles on sites ranging from tech blogs to CNET discussing BGR's speculation and sharing the doctored Bold/Playbook 'device'. These articles began by citing BGR explicitly, but then fanned out to simply quote 'inside sources' and some even cropping out most of the BGR watermark.

To quote George Kastanza: "It's not a lie if you believe it."
    01itr and Jake Storm like this.
    08-10-11 02:21 PM
    To quote George Kastanza: "It's not a lie if you believe it."
    You just did the same thing you accuse the media of doing. George Costanza took that line from someone else, yet you lazily quoted him as if it were his. Oh, the irony. . .
    brucep1 likes this.
    08-10-11 02:26 PM
    He does have a valid point, though. I don't know if its uncritical acceptance of what BGR puts out there or a lower critical standard when it comes to RIM rumors. What if BGR had put out a photoshopped iPhone 5 picture at the beginning of the year?
    01itr likes this.
    08-10-11 02:30 PM
    You just did the same thing you accuse the media of doing. George Costanza took that line from someone else, yet you lazily quoted him as if it were his. Oh, the irony. . .
    Did George Costanza say that line? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with quoting him...

The OP is saying how it progressed from simply quoting BGR, to some sites citing that they got it from "inside sources".

I believe what he is trying to say is don't listen to everything the media has to say. They just grab whatever they can and run with it, not checking the validity of it at all.
    08-10-11 02:35 PM
    He does have a valid point, though. I don't know if its uncritical acceptance of what BGR puts out there or a lower critical standard when it comes to RIM rumors. What if BGR had put out a photoshopped iPhone 5 picture at the beginning of the year?
    I didn't question his point. My point, on the other hand, was that if you're going to criticize someone for behavior, you probably don't want to behave in the same way as the person/organization you criticize. It's hypocritical.

Did George Costanza say that line? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with quoting him...
    And the media cited BGR's story, so that's okay too, right? I'm just following your thinking to its "logical" conclusion.

I believe what he is trying to say is don't listen to everything the media has to say.
    "Don't trust everything the media has to say"? This doesn't seem to be a concept worthy of its own thread. I mean, what's the next one going to be? "Don't play with matches"? "Don't run with scissors"?

They just grab whatever they can and run with it, not checking the validity of it at all.
    Now you're just generalizing, using absolute language that is out of place. Further, by their very nature, it's rather difficult to fact check "rumors," but even so, as long as rumors aren't reported as fact, the smart people can tell the difference. Sure, the dumb people can't, but according to these forums all the dumb people buy iOS and Android anyway, so no harm done.
    Last edited by Economist101; 08-10-11 at 02:53 PM.
    08-10-11 02:37 PM
    I didn't question his point. My point, on the other hand, was that if you're going to criticize someone for behavior, you probably don't want to behave in the same way as the person/organization you criticize. It's hypocritical.
    Whatever. I'm not going to argue a tongue-in-cheek quote by a fictional character the way a former presidential candidate began an argument with Murphy Brown. The picture that's being circulated is creating a false image to readers whose potential harm is consistent with the media beating that seems to be going on. The quote is not.
    08-10-11 03:04 PM
    I know you didn't question his point. You just ignored it and made your own point, which I ignored in turn because it was O/T. But as long as you insist on harping on it, let's go full O/T: it is in fact a George Costanza quotation from Seinfeld.

Perhaps someone else far less famously coined it, but virtually everyone out there -- other than the odd tiresome pedant who knows its true origin -- recognizes it as a Costanza quotation. Indeed, aside from also being attributed as a Taking Back Sundays lyric, you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than a attribution to the esteemed Mr. Costanza on Google.

Do tell, though: with whom did this quotation originate? Other than the writer for that particular episode, of course.
    diegonei and 01itr like this.
    08-10-11 03:17 PM
    Do tell, though: with whom did this quotation originate? Other than the writer for that particular episode, of course.
    I believe George lifted the line from a BGR blog.
    Zizzzzy, Jake Storm and 01itr like this.
    08-10-11 04:05 PM
    i know eh the media is such idiots!!!
    08-10-11 07:31 PM
    And the media cited BGR's story, so that's okay too, right? I'm just following your thinking to its "logical" conclusion.
    If you read my post you would notice how I talk about the OPs point of "how it progressed from simply quoting BGR, to some sites citing that they got it from "inside sources"."

This doesn't seem to be a concept worthy of its own thread.
    But it seems worthy enough for you to post in it and attack the OP for a Seinfeld quotation?

Now you're just generalizing, using absolute language that is out of place. Further, by their very nature, it's rather difficult to fact check "rumors," but even so, as long as rumors aren't reported as fact, the smart people can tell the difference.
    With websites saying stuff like
    Research In Motion (RIM) is set to launch a new BlackBerry handset with QNX operating system, according to a website . This new handset, codenamed BlackBerry Colt, will be the part of the five new smartphones that RIM is supposed to launch in coming times.

Preliminary details of the BlackBerry Colt smartphone indicate that the device will run a single core processor and will sport the new QNX operating system. This device is expected to be shown in the first quarter of 2012.
    And every single website having the photoshopped picture of the Bold with a Playbook picture on it, it is extremely misleading.

Agree/Disagree?
    08-11-11 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD