Hmmmm, here is something I have noticed after reading a number of threads in CB about the BB10. Disclaimer: Yep I know my post counts seem miniscule but normally I used to just lurk and read....

However, there seems be a marked increase in people activating accounts. The long time posters are generally positive and constructive even when offering up criticisms, but most of the relatively new posters seem to be almost to a man pushing some negative agenda or making comments about how Android is so good. I might be wrong but most of these posters who have been lambasting the BB 10 and RIM, seem to be also touting the virtues of the Android and to a lesser extent the Apple OS. I will say nothing is wrong with posting whatever you want but I am just calling you as I see fit: Trolls....

(cue the arguments and the flame war)
    01-02-13 01:48 AM
    Yep, your just paranoid
    01-02-13 02:49 AM
    I see a lot of new CBers thats for sure.(Good thing!) Some negative but not a majority. Its the nature of CB. Them come here for the truth. Even the negative ones will be won over with BB10, if they have eyes!
    bb624 likes this.
    01-02-13 03:42 AM
    i'm a new poster, and some of my posts may be seen as negative. but i am fully supportive of blackberry.
    i try to balance the overwhelming positivity with realism where i can because the way i see it, rim are in a dangerous situation, by their own doing, and i dont want to see them making the same mistake.
    i love my bb and dont want to have to go to android because bb made the same mistakes and had to pull out of the market.
    bb10 looks amazing and i just want to see it get given a fair shot, and to me that means, do not overstate it and generate false expectations

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 04:20 AM
    You might see some new members engaging in arguments who are either rabidly pro RIM or rabidly against it. Sometimes these are folks who have been banned and who come back with a new identity.
    And then they're banned again.

Then there are some who use multiple platforms (I am one of those) who will speak up whenever someone says something that is absolutely wrong about Android or iOS, or when someone tries to deflect blame away from RIM for the self inflicted spectacular decline of the last couple of years, or speak up an offer an opinion of what RIM needs to do in order to gain back relevancy in the consumer market....such as the need for BB10 to include apps like Instagram and WhatsApp. Some people don't want to hear it and immediately talk about a "new RIM" and that the past is the past. And they continue to use the "all you need is a good browser" line.

Folks from both sides have called me a troll. A forum is where one can express opinions and point out facts. Positive and negative.

Meh.....the truth is the truth as I experience it on my devices and as RIM's documented history shows.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-02-13 at 05:00 AM.
    01-02-13 04:42 AM
    ^ True but, Rims self inflicted wounds might not look so self inflicted once we see what they've been working on for the last 2+ years. At the same time as maintaining BBOS, no none of it was media inflicted. That never happens. We might have to admit how influenced some of us are by the media.
    01-02-13 05:04 AM
    ^ True but, Rims self inflicted wounds might not look so self inflicted once we see what they've been working on for the last 2+ years. At the same time as maintaining BBOS, no none of it was media inflicted. That never happens. We might have to admit how influenced some of us are by the media.
    BB10's introduction into the marketplace does not erase nor negate the spectacular decline that began in 2011. Media definitely influences thinking, but RIM gave the media plenty of fodder through its slow reactions and flawed execution.
    jakie55, magutwit, shaleem and 3 others like this.
    01-02-13 05:17 AM
    I have to agree with you. As for the OP, I came here out of my increasing love of my 9810. Among RIM fansites, one name stood out by a mile. Opinions are very subjective, what I may call/deem as an honest opinion can be labelled as a troll comment by somebody else. It's this subjectivity that should be the soul of such forums, but at the same time we should understand not everyone will be the same, respond in the same way, or even agree with you all the time.

As for trolls: Like Q said, she's been called a troll for using all the 3 OS's, but if you look at her posts, she gives a very honest opinion which many people like/hate. H3ck, even DeRussett has been called a troll, yet his comments and insights have been exemplary. But one thing stands out, don't label anyone with a quick troll tag just because he/she doesn't agree with you or bashes RIM.
    01-02-13 05:25 AM
    I think the integration of Mobile Nations forums has something to do with the recent change in some of the tone on Crackberry. I too have read more defenders of other platforms recently. Then I noticed that some folks have two stats with their posts - a number for posts and a number for global posts. I take that second number to mean posts in other forums. I would think that some of those folks were former BB users who have moved on to other platforms as well as other forums. Until the integration of user IDs, there was a silo effect on Mobile Nations which to a degree has disappeared. So that might explain some of it.

There is a second, more conspiratorial explanation. With the coming of BB10, RIM is consciously using social media and its user base to build excitement and spread the word about the new OS. Its competitors would be aware of this strategy. I have always believed that they use PR firms to troll the social media world. It would not surprise me in the least if paid (along with unpaid) trolls are lurking.

Personally I like debate so I welcome different views and helpful comments. And generally that's what I read on this site.
    undone likes this.
    01-02-13 05:39 AM
    i disagree heavily here.
    i've seen nothing that tells me rim has learned from its mistakes. and i wont see anything until well after bb10.
    let me clarify, the way i see it, rim created blackberry os, it took the world by storm and was amazing.
    rim rested on their laurels, other devices slowly caught up.
    other devices surpassed rim, rim facing possibility of extinction.
    rim acts and starts to create new os, manages to hang on in the market.
    rim creates blackberry 10, quite possibly an amazing os that may take the world by storm.

however i do not know if once 10 is released whether rim will rest on their laurels again.
    i hear good things from them, i also hear bad things (bb10 to power blackberry for the next 10 years, whats to say bb10 is not up to scratch within 5 years)
    but until i see how the company acts once bb10 is released i will not say run has learnt from their mistakes

magutwit likes this.
    01-02-13 06:02 AM
    Rim Negativity= Pre Thorsten heins CEO era , Positivity, Change, Believe= Thorsten heins CEO era.
    Build it and people will come.
    #BB10BELIEVE
    01-02-13 06:14 AM
    I expect that the "trolls" will be back in force by the end of the month.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-02-13 06:17 AM
    BB10's introduction into the marketplace does not erase nor negate the spectacular decline that began in 2011. Media definitely influences thinking, but RIM gave the media plenty of fodder through its slow reactions and flawed execution.
    I'm not saying that RIM is inocent, just not guilty as some would like to charge. This whole chapter is yet to be completed.
    zyben likes this.
    01-02-13 06:19 AM
    I'm not saying that RIM is inocent, just not guilty as some would like to charge. This whole chapter is yet to be completed.
    And this is where I respectfully, yet strongly, disagree with your opinion. But.....I absolutely agree with your right to express it, just as I have mine.

Cheers.....

Less than one month....
    01-02-13 06:26 AM
    i disagree heavily here.
    i've seen nothing that tells me rim has learned from its mistakes. and i wont see anything until well after bb10.
    let me clarify, the way i see it, rim created blackberry os, it took the world by storm and was amazing.
    rim rested on their laurels, other devices slowly caught up.
    other devices surpassed rim, rim facing possibility of extinction.
    rim acts and starts to create new os, manages to hang on in the market.
    rim creates blackberry 10, quite possibly an amazing os that may take the world by storm.

however i do not know if once 10 is released whether rim will rest on their laurels again.
    i hear good things from them, i also hear bad things (bb10 to power blackberry for the next 10 years, whats to say bb10 is not up to scratch within 5 years)
    but until i see how the company acts once bb10 is released i will not say run has learnt from their mistakes

I've particapated in this forum long enough to understand how easy it is to throw around critisism and never offer up any solutions. The enormity of the task RIM is ready to complete is unknown to everyone. Yet there's no shortage of people that feel they could have done better in that same situation? I get you!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-02-13 06:33 AM
    I guess it's all due to the approaching release of BB10, it's normal that more people post. As to trolls, I don't know...but if it's so, then it's a good sign, no?
    01-02-13 06:42 AM
    I've particapated in this forum long enough to understand how easy it is to throw around critisism and never offer up any solutions. The enormity of the task RIM is ready to complete is unknown to everyone. Yet there's no shortage of people that feel they could have done better in that same situation? I get you!
    i'm not criticising for the sake of it. i have made various suggestions on what rim should do in my eyes. i also think they've taken a good approach in being more lean as an organisation.
    but they still need to redeem themselves from their past mistakes and bb10 is not this. its their conduct after bb10 that will determine if rim has redeemed itself, in my eyes.

01-02-13 06:43 AM
    It's easier to have accounts activated across the mobile nations sites now.
    01-02-13 06:53 AM
    Some of it is the Passport system too that allows people from the sister Mobile Nations sites to come over and post here easier. If you look there are two post counts for people, the Crackberry is the Posts, and Global Posts is the some of their accounts across all Mobile Nations sites. Any forum you are going to get trolls who just want to put down whatever that forums is catered to start stuff. Why these people do this I don't get because life is too short to waste on being a clown IMHO, and maybe one day they will grow up and realized this.

I've notice a lot more Pro WP8 propaganda get posted on the site since its release. And of course I don't know if we will ever see the end of the long gone and disgruntled Storm owners that keep posting how bad the Storm 1/2 were and how because of those phones everything that RIM makes is garbage.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-02-13 07:22 AM
    Really?!? "Nothing"?!? You can't see any difference between what RIM has done previously and what they've been setting about doing for the last [say] 8 - 9 months or so?!?
    The undeniable push for developers. The very controled leaks and social media marketing. The brand new OS. The browser which is best in class. The halt to having their collective heads in the sand (or any dark orifice) by admitting and working to solve their problems. etc... etc.... etc...
    If this, even these few examples, doesn't show they've learned something, then I'm not entirely sure what will convince you.

I for one believe that RIM have learned a lot from their past mistakes and have set so many pieces in place to have a very positive future.... starting with the launch event in 28 days.

Si.
    zyben, Snap51, Cesare21 and 4 others like this.
    01-02-13 07:40 AM
    Hmmmm, here is something I have noticed after reading a number of threads in CB about the BB10. Disclaimer: Yep I know my post counts seem miniscule but normally I used to just lurk and read....

However, there seems be a marked increase in people activating accounts. The long time posters are generally positive and constructive even when offering up criticisms, but most of the relatively new posters seem to be almost to a man pushing some negative agenda or making comments about how Android is so good. I might be wrong but most of these posters who have been lambasting the BB 10 and RIM, seem to be also touting the virtues of the Android and to a lesser extent the Apple OS. I will say nothing is wrong with posting whatever you want but I am just calling you as I see fit: Trolls....

(cue the arguments and the flame war)
    A lot of new BlackBerry PlayBook users post-Christmas seems a more logical explanation for the increase in forum membership. That said, blind faith and cheerleading is equally as annoying as rabid trolling; expressing opinions or experiences and assisting other members in a civilised manner is the point of the forum. I cannot comment on your mental health (paranoia or lack thereof) because I am not a licensed mental health practitioner. If a flamewar ensues from your posted message, remember you lit the match in a tinder-dry field.
    mikeo007, kevinnugent and magutwit like this.
    01-02-13 07:55 AM
    An incomplete chapter added to an existing tome neither validates the blind-faith supporters nor invalidates the detractors which includes many of the BlackBerry loyalists not the blind-faith pep squad.
    01-02-13 08:05 AM
    Really?!? "Nothing"?!? You can't see any difference between what RIM has done previously and what they've been setting about doing for the last [say] 8 - 9 months or so?!?
    The undeniable push for developers. The very controled leaks and social media marketing. The brand new OS. The browser which is best in class. The halt to having their collective heads in the sand (or any dark orifice) by admitting and working to solve their problems. etc... etc.... etc...
    If this, even these few examples, doesn't show they've learned something, then I'm not entirely sure what will convince you.

I for one believe that RIM have learned a lot from their past mistakes and have set so many pieces in place to have a very positive future.... starting with the launch event in 28 days.

Si.

I understand where you are coming from and even though Heins has changed the culture so to speak this is something RIM has to do in order to survive. They have to push for developers and they have to leak information to keep mindshare until the product is released. I think that any company in the situation RIM is in would do the same thing. We won't know if RIM has really changed until BB10 is reviewed by the masses and RIM can show that they have some sort of direction and can follow up with timely updates, new products, etc.
    jakie55 and magutwit like this.
    01-02-13 08:11 AM
    For the newbies. This isn't just recently.
    01-02-13 08:13 AM

Si.
    i see them releasing a fantastic os again. and they worked hard last time too. they did that last time and their mistake was to stand still once it had been released.
    my point was I've seen nothing to tell me that they wont do the same again. this is because bb10 is not out. so what i am trying to say is i am reserving judgement until i see how rim acts once bb10 is released. I've noticed every one of your points too, and they give me confidence, but ultimately have no indication that they have learnt. i like to think they have, but will not say they have until they show they have. which they cant atm.
    please quote me in context next time. what i said before was central to the point you quoted and quoting just that leaves it looking like i was saying something else.

jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 08:38 AM
175 123 ...