I think BlackBerry can work with service providers who offer a stored value card using NFC will be a great way for BlackBerry to sell more phones. I see many people just scanning their wallets when they pass through the gates of trains & busses while holding their phones in the other hand.

The reason is that most people will be with their candy crush or reading an e-book while they commute so instead of taking their wallets out to get off the train or bus, just scan their phone.

Posted via CB10
    hindsketchup238 likes this.
    02-05-14 09:56 AM
    NFC is still in its infancy and I dont see it expanding hugely yet either. Having or not having these partnerships isnt going to change the tide and sails of BB10 phones
    02-05-14 10:19 AM
    NFC is still in its infancy and I dont see it expanding hugely yet either. Having or not having these partnerships isnt going to change the tide and sails of BB10 phones
    Well seems like everyone is using NFC where I am. Buses, trains, tol, movie tickets, 7 eleven and I hear that it is usable at fast food outlets & supermarkets too. The statistics I had a few years ago shows that 40% of total credit card, charge cards & debit card transactions are on Visa Wave & Mastercard Paypass which essentially are NFC transactions.

Understandably it is much slower in the USA where you were still pretty much dependant on magnetic stripe. Have you changed to a smart chip transactions yet?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 02:34 PM
    You can use your Nfc BlackBerry at Tim Hortons

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 03:07 PM
    After the Target credit card incident and other similar incidents, chip cards will come to the USA and these same payment terminals also have NFC capabilities. That was why it was possible for the Canadian banks to offer NFC payments through the BlackBerry NFC capable phone, as the upgrade to the payment terminals for Chip cards meant there were a lot of NFC capable terminals already with the merchants.

There are some limitations to it that really doesn't make it as convenient as it sounds. I haven't looked lately, but the transaction limit was quite small and wouldn't be enough to fill my car or pay for the groceries or most other things I use a card for.
    02-05-14 03:14 PM
    Oh its coming....to Canada in a big way. NFC mobile will see a big shift in 2014. What I would like to see however is a square type app that is nfc enabled. No readers and more security.

From my new z30
    02-05-14 03:20 PM
    While there are a number of places that NFC can be used in the US:

• 7-Eleven
    • CVS Pharmacy
    • McDonalds

There are a lot of big-name places that don't offer it yet:

• WalMart
    • Best Buy
    • Target
    • Home Depot
    • Yum Brands (Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC/Long John Silvers)
    • Carl's Jr/Hardees
    • Wendy's

US banks, Visa/MC, and retailers have all been arguing over who will pay for the upgrades from the 1970s mag strip system, and so relatively little has been done. These high-profile embarrassments will help prompt some businesses to upgrade, but the push really needs to come down as a requirement from the major credit card companies (Visa/MC/Amex/Discover) in order to really push things along.
    02-06-14 02:45 PM
    Well I have not been following up on the development of events since I left the industry, but Mastercard & Visa has a very good incentive to shift over to chip transactions. I know USA was given extra time or leeway.

I think it is a very good incentive unless fraud & counterfeit transactions are really that low in fat US as compared to the rest of the world.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 11:00 AM