I've read several articles lately about the Surface Pro 3 (here's one from the Street). It seems that the sales of the Surface Pro are finally starting to show some real growth (though they still account for only a tiny bit of the market). This seems to be because:

A) Microsoft is spending a lot of $$ on a sustained Ad campaign
    B) The Surface Pro 3 is finally a bit of hardware that people want

And potentially (coming soon),

C) Windows 10 is getting some hype as an answer to the Windows 8/8.1 woes

In a lot of ways Microsoft and BlackBerry were in similar situations going into this. MS had ignored the tablet market to start with, and fell far behind iOS and Android. Then they released a product that had potential, but was so much of a departure from their legacy fare that they alienated a lot of their customers. They also released some hardware that wasn't properly spec'd (and was alpha hardware) and that didn't help. Over time, they sorted out the problems with the hardware (finally releasing the highly-rated Surface Pro 3), and are on their way to sorting out the problems with the software (with the Win 10 release).

Compare this to BB releasing the first BB10 phones with underspec'd hardware, an immature OS, and alienating their core users. Then BB goes through a few iterations before offering a more 'legacy' experience with the Classic and a high-spec experience with the Passport, and the updates to the OS (10.3.1 - yes, it still has some issues).

The thing that BB cannot really match MS on is the marketing, as they don't have the same budget. Also, MS users were pretty much tied to the OS because of the reliance of businesses on their software. However, that would have changed if MS didn't listen to their customers and backtrack from Win8, while still continuing to publicize their hardware/software.

Notice that even with the updated hardware/software MS is only making inroads into the market very slowly. If BB wants to regain some market share they're going to have to realize that they're going to have to publicize their 'hits' like the Passport, and also that it's going to have to be a sustained Ad campaign. There are no silver bullets to fixing the market share.
    02-24-15 01:46 PM
    Not sure what BlackBerry can learn.... that they need more money for marketing and a better product that can meet users needs? Pretty sure Chen already knows that, but money don't grow on trees and he has "written" about his big frustration that developers don't want to play in BlackBerry's sandbox...

I think that Windows 10 along with the crop of cheaper Windows Tablets is going to help Microsoft... but sadly their ecosystem needs a lot of work right now. And in the Mobile Phone market an ecosystem is VERY important.

_
    I bought a cheap 10" Windows tablet for $180 to just play around with.... while it isn't a powerhouse for hardcore gaming or video editing. It does boot up in under ten seconds and works just fine with all of my work programs..
    02-24-15 02:07 PM
    You're missing the point. The Surface is not 'needed' by users by any stretch of the imagination. MS has many third party manufacturers that make their tablets. The reason it's selling now is two-fold: they're getting positive reviews and they're advertising.

BlackBerry has received some really positive press about the Passport. This may be the time to spend some on advertising. They don't have much liquid cash, but they need to spend some money on publicity or nobody is going to hear about it. Also, they have to budget for a long fight.

Just saying that they're not in the 'consumer' market is taking a 'grapes are sour' attitude to it. Their business customers are also consumers, and capturing even a tiny proportion of the general consumer market will mean massive sales increases. The point is not to gain 5% of the market; it's to gain another 0.3% first. That's going to take more than a great device - like it ot not, they have to figure out a publicity strategy.

EDIT : But I guess you're right: they know what they should do, but are either unwilling to do it, or they cannot do it. I don't know! It's sad, as I think BlackBerry has something to offer the consumers - they just can't seem to get a head of steam going.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Last edited by yohannrjm; 02-24-15 at 02:48 PM.
    02-24-15 02:27 PM
    You're missing the point. The Surface is not 'needed' by users by any stretch of the imagination. MS has many third party manufacturers that make their tablets. The reason it's selling now is two-fold: they're getting positive reviews and they're advertising.

BlackBerry has received some really positive press about the Passport. This may be the time to spend some on advertising. They don't have much liquid cash, but they need to spend some money on publicity or nobody is going to hear about it. Also, they have to budget for a long fight.

Just saying that they're not in the 'consumer' market is taking a 'grapes are sour' attitude to it. Their business customers are also consumers, and capturing even a tiny proportion of the general consumer market will mean massive sales increases. The point is not to gain 5% of the market; it's to gain another 0.3% first. That's going to take more than a great device - like it ot not, they have to figure out a publicity strategy.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    I get your point.... positive reviews and advertising should equal the same success that Microsoft has gotten.

Problem is, most of the reviews I've read had a number of "buts" in them that really prevents the Passport from being a great consumer device. For some users it might be the perfect "fit", but it is hard to market a product with such limited appeal. In many cases word of mouth or social media is just your best option... which is why there should have been one in every gift bag for the Oscars.
    abwan11 and ppeters914 like this.
    02-24-15 02:52 PM
    Perhaps what's needed is for BlackBerry to bite the bullet and spend some serious money to make a comprise and or deal with Google?

Loving my Passport!
    02-24-15 03:37 PM
    Surface Pro 3 is a full-featured computer in tablet form. Users don't care about apps because they can always get desktop software to do what they need. Add to that a precise pen, a gorgeous screen and full Office, and you look way cooler than with the piece of mediocrity known as iPad.

Plus MS has given serious $$ breaks to students. Grab'em young and make them appreciate quality. After the SP3, anything else will seem inferior.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    02-24-15 04:15 PM
    The SP3 is doing well because it is a product that finally has the usability and specs that enable it to be used for the purposes that tablets were meant to deliver from the start.. laptop replacement. It's light and portable, and gives you nearly (maybe actually?) full windows usability.

Tablets were so overhyped from that start, people thought it was the new generation of mobile computing; but reality is that they were oversized smartphones, great for games and some specially designed apps, but they could not fully replace your laptop/desktop. I have a cheap samsung tablet and when it dies I have no interest whatsoever in a new tablet, except maybe a SP3 or its successor, only because it will provide computer-like usability.

BB for Life
    02-24-15 05:31 PM
    I can see some parallels between MS and Blackberrys ill perceived products , as you pointed out, but as far as advertising goes, it's either hot or its not, until things heat up for blackberry (if ever) I don't see spending on ads (in the traditional sense) making a big enough impact to justify the cost, at the moment. I think Chen is trying to change the conversation, firstly with the markets, quietly with the business crowd and dam the consumer for now. I really think that he will be satisfied with keeping hardware moving, (albeit slowly) , until they can get some serious iot connections and bes12 rolling.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 05:44 PM