from: Theflyonthewall.com equity news: RIMM Research in Motion to distribute BlackBerry prototypes in May Bloomberg says

m: Research in Motion to distribute BlackBerry 10 prototypes in May, Bloomberg says
    Research in Motion will distribute in May as many as 2,000 BlackBerry 10 prototypes to developers in an effort to drive app development, Bloomberg reports, citing comments from the company's Alex Saunders. :theflyonthewall.com
    03-23-12 12:43 PM
    yup - I got confirmation of shipping today. I can hardly wait!

03-23-12 12:49 PM

...hate u much :P
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-23-12 12:52 PM
    Well the Colt was turned into a dev device.
    03-23-12 12:55 PM

When does it ship?
    03-23-12 12:58 PM
    I wonder if we will get to see any phones at blackberry world based on this news.
    03-23-12 12:59 PM
    It was reported by Bloomberg via the Toronto Star.

BlackBerry 10 prototypes to developers in May: RIM - thestar.com
    03-23-12 01:27 PM
    It was reported by Bloomberg via the Toronto Star.

BlackBerry 10 prototypes to developers in May: RIM - thestar.com
    Nice pull.
    03-23-12 01:30 PM
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i hope we get to see some leaked pics from the DEVs that get them
    03-23-12 01:37 PM
    Developer prototype --- no TAT Cascades UI yet.

Full article:

RIM to Give Developers Prototypes of New BlackBerry in May - Bloomberg
    03-23-12 01:37 PM
    Hmmm..

I wonder why this is not on the front page yet..

I wonder if its an early release candidate that is also handed out for carrier acceptance training to get the OS ready for launch later in the year.

All touch or "colt" version.

I think they need a all touch devise to attract the younger consumers that are driving the demand for iphones and droids.
    03-23-12 01:42 PM
    Will the devs be under NDA or can we expect to see pics of the device?
    03-23-12 01:46 PM
    I am sure we will see pics of the device. Its an alpha device running a modified Playbook OS. This wont be what we will see in BB10.
    03-23-12 01:47 PM

Wow, how did you get that? We were told we have to go to Orlando in person to get ours. That's a very long flight for a phone!
    03-23-12 01:52 PM
    Here's the official story: Join us at BlackBerry 10 Jam for hands-on time with BlackBerry 10 tools and
    They call it the the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha™.
    This is not a BlackBerry 10 smartphone – it is a prototype running a modified version of the PlayBook OS which will help developers design their apps for the BlackBerry 10 smartphone form factor. Just to be 100% clear – it’s not the final hardware or OS for BlackBerry 10 – it’s a device to help developers get started with designing for what’s coming. BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha is only for developers – not end users – and is only available to developer attendees at BlackBerry 10 Jam.
    03-23-12 01:53 PM
    Also blackberry 10 tools will be released, so cascades should be out in may..
    03-23-12 02:33 PM
    Also blackberry 10 tools will be released, so cascades should be out in may..
    When I asked, I was told we will not get the Cascades SDK at this event.
    03-23-12 02:40 PM
    When I asked, I was told we will not get the Cascades SDK at this event.
    Hmm, but does that imply it wont be out till after or it will be out before?
    03-23-12 02:45 PM
    oo ok, isn't this new UI a major part in this whole transition smh..
    03-23-12 02:49 PM
    Hmm, but does that imply it wont be out till after or it will be out before?
    Sorry I wasn't clear there. I was told today that the Cascades APIs for developers will not be ready in time for that event. If we go, we will get phones but Cascades will not be in that build or in the version of the NDK available at that conference.
    undone likes this.
    03-23-12 03:03 PM
    so its just a prototype OS in a random shell?? at least we will see that the skeleton of BB10 will be like
    03-23-12 03:20 PM
    I'm betting it will be stripped down, with the only thing new being the APIs and developer hooks.

Considering that they did not just offer a simulator download like Playbook simulator version 1, I expect it may have a full suite of apps, but half-assed ports of the playbook versions.
    03-23-12 03:24 PM
    I'm betting it will be stripped down, with the only thing new being the APIs and developer hooks.

Considering that they did not just offer a simulator download like Playbook simulator version 1, I expect it may have a full suite of apps, but half-assed ports of the playbook versions.
    There is no such thing as half-assed ports because the playbook versions are already half-assed --- in that the current playbook apps (such as the "native email" app) are hybrids (i.e. native c app in the back end but with AIR UI front end).

Final BB10 apps should be 100% pure native.
    03-23-12 05:41 PM
    Man i sure hope not. They did this with the OS7 phones. Months of teasing. They should show us the phones about 1 week prior to release.
    03-23-12 05:41 PM
    So half assed ports of Playbooks half assed apps would make that a quarter assed port?

But anyway, what caught my attention is:

“The experience on this device from a consumer’s perspective is not in any way indicative of what the final experience on BlackBerry 10 will be like,” he said. “We are holding that back to create the interest around that at launch time.
    So whenever the launch is for the BB10 phones. That's when we'll see the what BB10 OS looks like? Or even phones maybe.
    03-23-12 06:22 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD