Hi

My 8310 died and I just replaced it with a 8320 & transferred the SIM card to it. The 8310 only could handle 16gb but I'd like to have 32gb. I've read the forums here and found the following chart telling what size card you can use based on the OS version:
    ----------------
    The following table lists the BlackBerry Device Software versions and the media card sizes they support.

BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB
    -----------------

I went to the update site (uk.blackberry.com/update) and updated to the latest version which my blackberry shows is now V 4.5.0.106 (Platform 2.7.0.106)

The update options on the website said the blackberry device software was for v5.0 yet my version is only updated to 4.5.0.106

The chart above was dated was 6/09, perhaps there's a newer evaluation or option that permits me to use a 32gb card in my 8320?

Is there any option for me to upgrade to v4.6?

Thanks!
    MM
    01-23-11 01:42 PM
    No. There is nothing higher than 4.5 for your device.
    01-23-11 01:45 PM
    You're stuck with 4.5 on that model...

If you had the curve 8900, it'd do it out of the box with OS 5.0
    01-23-11 01:56 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

Rats, I would have gotten a different blackberry if I would have known that, I wanted the larger data for MP3s as I make my living by performing and wanted the portable library 32gb allows. I didn't know there was a below V5 limit on the 8320.

Any commonly used way to make this BB accept a 32gb card?
    01-23-11 02:01 PM
    You're stuck with 4.5 on that model...

If you had the curve 8900, it'd do it out of the box with OS 5.0
    I don't have a data package & didn't want to buy an expensive replacement, I just need the cell phone and wanted the 32gb capability. Used, this was less than the price of one of the better go-phones so I stayed with this kind of model...
    01-23-11 02:05 PM
    Any commonly used way to make this BB accept a 32gb card?
    No. The maximum card size is dependent on the OS on the device, and the 8320 will not get 4.6. The device is too old and limited in memory to support any 4.6 OS. For example, 4.6 for the 8900 is 122MB just for the OS, not including any applications. The 8320 only has 64MB memory space for the OS plus applications.
    01-23-11 02:22 PM
    I don't have a data package & didn't want to buy an expensive replacement, I just need the cell phone and wanted the 32gb capability. Used, this was less than the price of one of the better go-phones so I stayed with this kind of model...
    I noticed you have AT&T. They do IMEI sweeps, and once they detect that you are using a BlackBerry, they will automatically add a data plan, whether you want one or not. They require data plans for all smartphones added since September 2009.
    01-23-11 02:25 PM
    I had a blackberry before on AT&T, a 8310 & that's what the SIM came out of.

This gets uglier by the moment.

That was something I hadn't read in my searching. When first I got it I turned the wifi & data features off. I have a block against texting already on my account. I'm maybe a year past my renewal date and don't want any of their new options. Just heard on CNN's Headline news today that AT&T is raising cell rates $10 too, not many details offered on HLN.

If they add me with a data plan I'll have to drop AT&T & go to Metro PC.
    01-23-11 02:36 PM
    I had a blackberry before on AT&T, a 8310 & that's what the SIM came out of.

This gets uglier by the moment.

That was something I hadn't read in my searching. When first I got it I turned the wifi & data features off. I have a block against texting already on my account. I'm maybe a year past my renewal date and don't want any of their new options. Just heard on CNN's Headline news today that AT&T is raising cell rates $10 too, not many details offered on HLN.

If they add me with a data plan I'll have to drop AT&T & go to Metro PC.
    Metro PCS is a CDMA carrier, so the 8320 (and any other GSM device) will not work on their network. You would need to purchase a new device to use their network.

T-Mobile does not require data plans for BlackBerry devices that are not purchased from T-Mobile. You could unlock your 8320 and use it on T-Mobile without a data plan.
    01-23-11 02:46 PM
    My turning off wifi connections and shutting of the data option is not enough to neuter this phone from that imei sweep?

AT&T is just too expensive for me to have a data plan with them for a two year contract.
    01-23-11 03:07 PM
    The only way to avoid the IMEI sweeps is to take you SIM card out of the device. The policy started in September 2009.

AT&T to require smartphone data plans starting September 6th | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-23-11 03:21 PM
    This is most unexpected. All I wanted was a replacement for my 8310 & the used 8320 was a good deal.

I just went to my ATT account and sure enough the phone they have me using is this 8320 & a stock photograph of it. There doesn't seem to be any unexpected charges tacked on & the bill is due soon but nothing was changed from my usual statement.

Perhaps because I had the 8310 since 07 the 8320 is not of interest to them because I'm not using data services. I think the 8310 is considered a smartphone but when I bought it & the contract, I declined the data plan.

I will have to rethink what I'm doing. Perhaps the best thing would be to just go with MetroPCS which charges about $5 more a month than my base ATT rate and get the LG Optimus M with Android V2.2 & that tech spec says it takes a 32gb card. Then sell this 8320 which looks great compared to my old beat up 8310.

I truly appreciate the replies.

MM
    Last edited by Megalomando; 01-23-11 at 04:17 PM.
    01-23-11 04:15 PM
    ATT FORCING A DATA PLAN. Only if you get the phone from them.

I have an unlocked BB8320 with AT&T SIM and they do not like it but they cannot do anything about it.
    It by the way also is a pay as you go account. The lowest you can get. One caution though you have to turn off the data on the phone or it will cost you tones of cash.
    06-13-11 08:25 AM
    Pay As You Go works differently than other plans.

AT&T still requires a BlackBerry Data Plan for devices activated after Sept 2009 whether the device is unlocked or not and whether or not you "get the phone from them".
    06-13-11 11:03 AM
    dam i didnt know ppl still used the 83xx series seesh one reason why we (#bbnation) gets clowed at
    06-13-11 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD