An encrypted BlackBerry device that was cracked five years after it was first seized by police is poised to be the key piece of evidence in one of the state’s longest-running drug importation investigations.

In April, new technology "capabilities" allowed authorities to probe the encrypted device, which was used by one of the alleged kingpins and revealed 3000 messages over a one-month period, a Sydney court has heard.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...31-p55hbq.html
    08-03-20 01:35 AM
    Interesting read, I’m not aware of the original story so I’m just wondering what blackberry they cracked?
    08-03-20 05:03 AM
    Curious it took 5 years. Also wondering which platform it was?
    08-03-20 05:15 AM
    Great read and I am also curious as to what device is was they finally cracked?
    08-03-20 06:31 AM
    Interesting read, I’m not aware of the original story so I’m just wondering what blackberry they cracked?
    Old Blackberry Messenger only.
    But with old style blackberries you could connect a data cable before you fire the machine up and that would have got you access to everything in the encrypted zone after you fired up the phone.

You could then copy everything on to different Media and run your so-called recovery algorithms. If the same code was used for each document then it would be a simple enough matter now to reimage the documents into readable format once the pattern is recognised and duplicatable.
    08-03-20 06:45 AM
    But with old style blackberries you could connect a data cable before you fire the machine up and that would have got you access to everything in the encrypted zone after you fired up the phone.

You could then copy everything on to different Media and run your so-called recovery algorithms. If the same code was used for each document then it would be a simple enough matter now to reimage the documents into readable format once the pattern is recognised and duplicatable.
    🥺...ok.... I’m going to nod my head very wisely & pretend I understood every word of that,instead of being the complete tech no-nothing I actually am...
    08-03-20 08:19 AM
    ...ok.... I’m going to nod my head very wisely & pretend I understood every word of that,instead of being the complete tech no-nothing I actually am...
    Don't worry about it they fixed it with Android
    08-03-20 08:22 AM
    Don't worry about it they fixed it with Android
    I love a happy ending ..
    08-03-20 08:34 AM

And this "new" technology only became available in April?

I don't believe that any technical details on any of this has been released. We have no idea what was "hacked".
    Last edited by conite; 08-03-20 at 05:31 PM.
    rarsen and elfabio80 like this.
    08-03-20 05:15 PM
    Proably dealing with BBOS phones and BBM consumer.... shouldn't be any surprise that in 2020 these can hacked. What was the last updated to BBOS..... six years ago?

But in the end, even if it were BB10 phones or BB Android phones... it shouldn't be a surprise that phones from 2015 or 2017 that haven't been patched or updated might have vulnerabilities that allow state level forensic tools to gain access in 2020.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-04-20 07:49 AM
    There is literally nothing that is un-hackable given enough time. On the plus side, short of murder (and maybe one or two more crimes), statute of limitations will almost always expire first.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-20 04:11 PM
    There is literally nothing that is un-hackable given enough time. On the plus side, short of murder (and maybe one or two more crimes), statute of limitations will almost always expire first.

Posted via CB10
    Unless it's already been hacked..... that the problem using old products long after they have gone EOL.
    08-18-20 08:08 AM
    Unless it's already been hacked..... that the problem using old products long after they have gone EOL.
    Sort of lost me. What do you mean by 'unless it's already been hacked'? Just because one system was breached does not mean a similar one is guaranteed to be open. One might use 128 bit encryption (or some older standard) with the password being 'password'. The other could use gigabit encryption and a 100 character (randomized) password. The former could be breached by a teenager, the latter will takes decades if not more using the latest and greatest minds and tech. Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding your point. On a side note, much easier to just not commit murder but that's just me

Posted via CB10
    08-18-20 03:39 PM
    The other could use gigabit encryption and a 100 character (randomized) password.
    Not too feasible for a mobile device.
    08-18-20 03:59 PM
    Sort of lost me. What do you mean by 'unless it's already been hacked'? Just because one system was breached does not mean a similar one is guaranteed to be open. One might use 128 bit encryption (or some older standard) with the password being 'password'. The other could use gigabit encryption and a 100 character (randomized) password. The former could be breached by a teenager, the latter will takes decades if not more using the latest and greatest minds and tech. Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding your point. On a side note, much easier to just not commit murder but that's just me

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about using old hardware with vulnerabilities that even law enforcement can exploit.... not breaking encryption. OThe article makes it sound like they hacked his BlackBerry to gain access, but I suspect it had more to do with consumer BBM. But even the old consumer BBM messages, should have required breaking encryption.
    08-18-20 03:59 PM
    Not too feasible for a mobile device.
    I was never speaking strictly phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-20 04:48 PM
    I'm talking about using old hardware with vulnerabilities that even law enforcement can exploit.... not breaking encryption. OThe article makes it sound like they hacked his BlackBerry to gain access, but I suspect it had more to do with consumer BBM. But even the old consumer BBM messages, should have required breaking encryption.
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. That said, my point was any and all systems in general, not BB, or any phone for that matter, specifically. Guess I should have been clearer with my point.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-20 04:51 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. That said, my point was any and all systems in general, not BB, or any phone for that matter, specifically. Guess I should have been clearer with my point.
    Yes, but the pace of supercomputing has already rendered what was once thought to be safe for years open information today. In the future, quantum computing has the potential to make every existing form of encryption obsolete.

Once physical access to information is gained, all encryption does is buy time.
    08-18-20 08:17 PM