Myself, I feel like several other folks in that Blackberry is on the fence about a PKB device. You have to look at the big picture here in that the market is saturated and the touchscreen products are what the consumer is asking for. I know there are still folks who want a PKB device with the Blackberry brand on it.

But, that is a very limited niche market now and as a company, they have to look product development, manufacturing cost and sales and if they feel the device can make a profit, then they will produce it, if not, then it goes the way of the dodo bird. Nothing personal here folks, just basic business concepts 101.
    cgk likes this.
    10-28-16 05:14 AM
    Myself, I feel like several other folks in that Blackberry is on the fence about a PKB device. You have to look at the big picture here in that the market is saturated and the touchscreen products are what the consumer is asking for. I know there are still folks who want a PKB device with the Blackberry brand on it.

But, that is a very limited niche market now and as a company, they have to look product development, manufacturing cost and sales and if they feel the device can make a profit, then they will produce it, if not, then it goes the way of the dodo bird. Nothing personal here folks, just basic business concepts 101.
    You are absolutely right - but then the guys at BlackBerry should just be clear with that and should not promise such things!
    Not that long ago they stated the bold things:
    "The keyboard is here to stay!" and "within 6 months there will be a pkb device"!
    The latest words were not that clear to that!

Or "we are fully committed to OS10" and then now update for about a year.

I mean, come on....

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 06:58 AM
    You are absolutely right - but then the guys at BlackBerry should just be clear with that and should not promise such things!
    Not that long ago they stated the bold things:
    "The keyboard is here to stay!" and "within 6 months there will be a pkb device"!
    The latest words were not that clear to that!

Or "we are fully committed to OS10" and then now update for about a year.

I mean, come on....

Posted via CB10
    Even now, after their final device, they are still trying to create hype about future devices and updates, even reaffirming their commitments to BB10...while behind the scenes they have been closing up shop for the last two+ years. Sure, some will say they were always clear about their intentions. Unfortunately, that was not the only message going out to the market, and because it has been anything but consistent, people are rightfully confused. Personally I don't find that too amusing and I'm sure there are many BlackBerry fans out there who feel the same way.
    10-28-16 08:46 AM
    Even now, after their final device, they are still trying to create hype about future devices and updates, even reaffirming their commitments to BB10...while behind the scenes they have been closing up shop for the last two+ years. Sure, some will say they were always clear about their intentions. Unfortunately, that was not the only message going out to the market, and because it has been anything but consistent, people are rightfully confused. Personally I don't find that too amusing and I'm sure there are many BlackBerry fans out there who feel the same way.
    That's absolutely true what you wrote!
    The sad thing is the message to the market remains unclear because you can't trust their words longer as they left their mouths.

Maybe it was the right move what they did with their handset department.
    But they never made that move clear before, they created hope for OS10 customers as well as for Android-user.
    They acted as everything was alright - behind the scenes they tried to get rid of the handset business.
    This deal with Alcatel must been in talk for over a year or so - something like that won't happen within a few days.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 09:20 AM
    I think it highly likely that a PKB phone will be built by the sole licensee for the Indonesian market which will be designed and built for the Indonesian market by the Indonesian licensee. BlackBerry will have nothing to do with the Hardware as was made clear by Chen in the ER, and Beard in yesterday's webinar.
    I don't really care WHO builds a PKB phone, but to me, it seems that Beard was very clearly saying that nothing is in the works right now.
    If a phone is built for the Indonesian market, it may be limited to Indonesian cell frequencies. So who builds those phones, whether they're down-market for local use only, etc., could matter to those of us who don't live there.

From what I can see, there's zero overlap between Indonesian and North American cell frequencies, unless there's some in the LTE coverage. Network coverage in INDONESIA - 2G/3G/4G mobile networks
    Karan Riar, cgk, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    10-28-16 10:37 AM
    If a phone is built for the Indonesian market, it may be limited to Indonesian cell frequencies. So who builds those phones, whether they're down-market for local use only, etc., could matter to those of us who don't live there.

From what I can see, there's zero overlap between Indonesian and North American cell frequencies, unless there's some in the LTE coverage. Network coverage in INDONESIA - 2G/3G/4G mobile networks
    Plus you'd have no support if you imported one.
    10-28-16 10:46 AM

Yes indeed.

I made a similar point in my second post. I'm sure the regional frequency bands issue was a factor in why (during the ER) Chen pretty-much ruled out BB distributing any licensees local phone in other regions. Other out-of-region issues would be problematic carrier-updates, and warranty.

That said, I fully expect at least one BB diehard to personally import the Indonesian phone to the US/Europe ... and then complain loudly on these forums when the phone doesn't work and because all the menus are in "foreign"!
    10-28-16 10:50 AM
    If a phone is built for the Indonesian market, it may be limited to Indonesian cell frequencies.
    Indonesians travel too. I would expect a "world" phone.
    10-28-16 11:45 AM
    Yes indeed.

I made a similar point in my second post. I'm sure the regional frequency bands issue was a factor in why (during the ER) Chen pretty-much ruled out BB distributing any licensees local phone in other regions. Other out-of-region issues would be problematic carrier-updates, and warranty.

That said, I fully expect at least one BB diehard to personally import the Indonesian phone to the US/Europe ... and then complain loudly on these forums when the phone doesn't work and because all the menus are in "foreign"!
    And then complain that blackberry support tell him it wasn't anything to do with them.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-28-16 12:19 PM
    I suspect that a few Jolla Sailfish users hoped to be able to use the Intex Aqua Fish in North America too. Intex Aqua Fish Smartphone Full Specifications, Price

It's fairly common for inexpensive phones produced for local markets to have a limited range of frequency options. Check out some Chinese-market phone sites and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, it could be a world phone, but it depends what price range the Indonesian partners see as feasible, and what conditions BlackBerry insists upon in the licensing agreement.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-16 12:31 PM
    If the rumours of this being a low-end handset are true, I wouldn't expect a "world" phone.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-28-16 12:44 PM
    A two year subscription to the apps alone is $24.
    That's a retail (end-user) price. Manufacturers would be paying a wholesale price.
    10-28-16 08:12 PM
62 123